Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

darealkooky posted:

I'm far from some gaming fundamentalist, but there's a bit of a thin line when it comes to streamlining things.

To use the pokemon example. If it tells me what move works best against the enemy pokemon after I fight them once and save me the trouble of remembering, why not have the game just do the move for me and save me the trouble of hitting a few buttons? why not save me the trouble of the loading screen and just skip fights against the pokemon where instead you auto win?

I mean, pokemon tells you if a move is super-effective, normally effective or not very effective which does not at all tell you which move is the best in the situation in any but the most simplistic scenarios.

Take the classic Charmander vs. Onix gym 1 fight. Both Scratch and Ember would be marked 'not very effective' and have the same attack power (40) but Ember is a much better choice overall because of its status rider, STAB and the fact it targets the lower defense and uses Charmander's higher attack stat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

VagueRant posted:

This all seems incredibly inoffensive so far? Like it's basically just a Pokemon game. But because it's a fangame it's got a few wonky bits (like the tree placement), ugly sprites and it goes for some cheap meme jokes (like virtually every other fangame)?

What standard are we holding this to? Because Red/Blue is apparently super broken if you know how to break it and my memories of Ruby/Sapphire are no worse than what you've shown us of this. Even the weird little watering can thing doesn't seem worse than the entire concept of "tipping" in X/Y.

EDIT: Apparently berries are a lot more important than I ever knew, I guess? I always ignored them.

The 'mom dying in a nuclear meltdown' thing is the only really egregious thing so far. But it gets much, much worse.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
Also OFS showed off that there's a level 70 boss with Overheat, Contrary, choice scarf and base 181 special attack which is loving insane.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Dr. Fetus posted:

Wait, did Uranium flat out make it so that the trees can't grow without water? In the Pokemon games, the trees still grew. You just couldn't get as many berries without watering them.

It's still dumb because there's no good reason to restrict that item.

No it still works like that.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
Honestly the biggest reason the fakemon look off is the terrible shading job. Compare Mankey and the iron thing's back sprites. They also tend to be really flat color-wise without any gradiants.

Honestly if you had a better sprite artist you could probably pass off some as real pokemon (I think the poison bat-blob is good enough for this).

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
Honestly I don't get the appeal for going wherever or doing gyms in any order. I'd rather a more tightly curated experience because level scaling has historically been incredibly awful and the games I can think of that tried the 'Do it in whatever order!' tend to suffer a lot for it because everything has to be so generic and can't assume or tie into anything else in case you haven't done it.

Just do not see the appeal.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
The best is still the dude in R/S/E who's freaking out about new pokemon footprints and later admits he somehow confused his own for a new pokemon species.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

homeless hungry plz help posted:

...Wh... Di... Did Conkeldurr hurt you in some way?

What did Conkeldurr do to you?

It looks like a roided clown on the brink of death. Its one of the only pokemon I find really repulsive (along with Stantler, Tympole, Mr. Mime and loving Diggersby)

:colbert:

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Pinechild posted:

I have extremely fond memories in HG/SS of getting a Rattata, training it until it learned Crunch, letting it evolve, and then completely no-selling the entire Ghost gym. Good times, even though looking back I have no clue why I didn't stop at any of the other Dark-type attacks. Probably would have been easier to just power through with my existing pokemon but not nearly as cool.

You can do that with just bite. One of Mortys Gengar is literally incapable of hitting normal types and like half the mons in the gym can only hurt them with curse.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

XavierGenisi posted:

the brain fish is hideous and awful

and I still want to know what the gently caress a barewl is. even knowing what it evolves into doesn't answer a drat thing

Its clearly a face that turns into a horse deer much like _________.

Honestly the dragon with the weird hand tail is the design getting to me now. The hell is up with that?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

mandatory lesbian posted:

in a series with Weezing and Magneton it's really not that out there

Also Vanilluxe, Klinklang...

Hell even Wishiwashi

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Jack Anderson posted:

People love to talk up Gen 1 pokemon as being the best but yeah most of them were lazy.

I mean, one design was literally just a DUCK with a LEEK.

You choose that and not the six balls with eyes.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
It has a bad sprite though.

The gently caress is going on with the perspective?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
That is on top of one of the best defensive typings in the game. Goddamn.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
Porygon isn't even the only man-made pokemon. Castform, Type:Null/Silvally,... and that doesn't even count things like Genesect which was heavily modified, or Voltorb which is literally a pokeball that spontaneously gained life.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

krisslanza posted:

Don't forget Mewtwo. Literally a man-made super Pokemon.

Don't forget they have awesome video phones that go, "Ring ring ring ring, phone call, phone call!" :v:
That and the ability to instantly transport objects over long distances.

Mewtwo being manmade is an anime thing. In the games Mew gives live? birth to it in South America which is all kinds of out of whack with later stuff.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Uranium has 3 psudeo-legendary lines by the way.

Aren't there only 200 pokemon in the dex?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
Yeah you have to fit them with the miniaturization device.

Basically pokeballs used to be artisnal and singular/expensive until the pokeball company came up with its cheap mass produced designs and forced the craftsmen out of buisness :v:

Note how the apricorn balls are all better than the mass produced crap that replaced them.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

homeless hungry plz help posted:

I guess it can set up hazards on it then Whirlwind it out and undo all the boosting it had done, leaving it vulnerable to getting ding danged next time it comes out.
Though honestly Ferrothorn might be better. Can Thunder Wave it if it's not running Motor Drive, and whittle it down with Rocky Helmet and Leech Seed.

this is dumb why am I theorycrafting for a thing that's bad and fake?

I just want to point out

+2 252+ Atk Life Orb Dodrio Fire Fang vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Skarmory: 205-242 (61.3 - 72.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

You run Fire Fang and this thing eats Skarmory, Ferrothorn etc alive.

Zore fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Mar 13, 2017

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
I like how, despite everything, they found another way to gently caress over poison and buff steel. Its amazing.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Llab posted:

Wait hang on a second. I thought Kellyn was the PC's dad. In that Double Battle, why does Kellyn(who i assume is the dorky kid wearing a Scouter) look younger than the player?

Because Kellyn is a real pokemon NPC from one of the Ranger games and they shoddily edited his sprite even though he should be about 20 years older via their dumbass story.

~Uranium~

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

theGrooseofLegend posted:

I was looking through the sage wiki to look at all the other amazing pokemon designs and found something pretty funny. Now granted, the devs said they are reworking this ability.

Meet this guy:

This is his original ability:

He learns Reversal

Yeah, a number of Sage Pokemon have that.

Including a ground type who learns Magnitude. 30 PP, 150 base power ground STAB is lol.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

PMush Perfect posted:

It's EQ with extra PP. If you burn through 16 EQs in one match, you are either doing something very right or very wrong. Either way, not worth much by itself.

Now, Fling on the other hand... :getin:

... Its Earthquake with 50% more power. Its 225 power after STAB.

Its the same power as Hyper Beam and its variants just with perfect accuracy and no recharge turn.

Zore fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Mar 26, 2017

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

MightyPretenders posted:

It has a base power of 100, and accuracy of 99.96%. That's all it needs to be.

That accuracy is only a Gen 1 thing. Ever since, its 100% accurate (like most moves) unless there is a modifier in effect like sand attack giving you accuracy down or double team increasing the opponent's evasion.

In Gen 1 everything but Swift had at least a 1/256 chance to miss but they thankfully dropped that.

Zore fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Mar 27, 2017

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
There's always been hosed up stuff in Pokemon and that's fine. Gen V and VII deal pretty heavily with child abuse in their main plots.

The difference between that and something like Uranium is more like tone and tact. They don't dwell on it, like Uranium does with its multiple nuclear meltdowns/dead mom, and its generally counterbalanced by other healthy relationships also existing. Something Uranium really lacks.

Also they're ultimately subplots that take a background to the player character going on an adventure.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

I'm not sure what the best part of this is, Stropter or Ronch :allears:

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Dexie posted:

Earlier today, Youtube recommended me a video of a piece of music from an in-development fangame called Project Azurite/Pokemon Azurite. The song was done by the same person that did the Uranium battle themes, so I Googled the game and did some research on it.

http://www.projectazurite.com/

There's not one, but FIVE new types, including Sound, Mystic, Light, Cosmic, and Crystal, basically a checklist of fan-demanded types. Crystal is special though, because only fully evolved Pokemon can be Crystal. It's an alternate evolution thing. Crystal has no weaknesses and no resistances/immunities and nothing is immune to or strong against it. That seems incredibly silly to me. It's a type that basically only exists for STAB I guess? They're going all in on the actual Pokemon too. It features new Pokemon, Mega evolutions, alternate evolutions, and new regional formes. They're showing no restraint here with everything they're trying to stuff in. :psyduck:

I'd be super impressed if this game actually gets finished and is actually decent. It'd be nice to have a Pokemon fangame that's actually, you know, good. I'll give them this though. Some of their new designs are kind of neat and seem to have been decently thought out?

Still, I'm not expecting much. At the very least though, it'll probably be better than Uranium! :v:

Just want to quote some of their pages

quote:

While plenty of Mega Evolutions have some grueling side effects, the Mega Evolution of Kurian Lopunny is by far the most disturbing.

When the behavior of this terrifying Mega Evolution was studied by professor Maple, he found out that during the process, Lopunny re-experiences the time it passed as a normal Buneary. The realization and denial corrupts the soul to a horrifying extent. It forces Lopunny to think that it needs to fight viciously to survive and that its opponents want it dead.

It takes an extremely capable trainer to make sure that Mega K-Lopunny doesn't go too far or hurt itself, let alone others. As long as it has a trainer it can depend on, Lopunny is less likely to get unstable.

Just like regular Mega Lopunny, this Pokémon is extremely fast and has extremely powerful attacks. It's Defense is also superior, but it comes at the cost of its Special Defense being crippled to the point that any Special Attack has a high chance of knocking it out.
It can't even dodge these attacks due to No Guard, but this also means enemies can't dodge Lopunny's attacks either.

quote:

The Kurian form of Tsareena. They live in the absolute depths of the reason and stay there, making Bounsweet and Steenee do the dirty work outside of their homes.

Their homes are built like laboratories, but with unknown technology. In their homes, captured Pokémon and sometimes even Humans are found. While the captured Pokémon tend to be fine outside of being nervous, the humans tend to act really weird, which can last for their entire lifetime. It is unknown what causes this or why the Tsareena do it, but it seems they experiment on humans.

Nobody knows what kind of experiments are held. Even the captured humans either refuse to tell out of fear or have forgotten somehow. Some professors even think that the Tsareena itself was also experimented on, which causes the transformation. Exactly who or what experimented them is unknown, but there is clear evidence that the beings that do the experiments on Tsareena are not from this world.

Kurian Tsareena learn a very unique move known as Kick Shower. Tsareena jumps high in the air and uses phasing kicks as projectiles. A special attack that hits multiple targets multiple times!

Tsareena are very tactical in battle. They have learned to phase their body through reality without moving themselves, leading to the ability Phasing Body, which turns all of the user's Physical Attacks into Special Attacks, scaling off the user's Special Attack too.
Secondly, it can have Queenly Majesty. A remnant of the old Tsareena. This makes it immune to priority attacks.
Lastly, its special Hidden Ability. Skill Scan. Skill Scan allows the user to search the opponents' movesets to see if they have a move that is Super Effective against the ability's user. Targets who do have such a dangerous move are marked as dangerous.

lol

Zore fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Apr 2, 2017

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Dexie posted:

Especially when most of the time, those new types don't fit in or make sense or are strong enough thematically to be a new type.

Light? It's arguably already covered by Psychics and Fairies, and if you want a counterpart to Dark, you have Fighting and Fairies.
Sound? Moves that utilize sound work fine as Normal type moves.
Mystic? Covered by Fairies and Psychics.
Cosmic? Eh. I almost want to give this one a pass and say it'd be fine as a new type.

tbh, I was semi-convinced the new type in X/Y would be sound before they revealed Fairy. It definitely has enough stuff in the game to support an archetype already with a ton of pokemon based around it, sound moves having special mechanics, multiple abilities that affect sound moves etc.

Not saying it should be, but I could easily have seen Gamefreak doing it.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

iospace posted:

We do have Liquid Voice, Popplio's HA: "All sound-based moves become Water-type moves."

Yeah, and Soundproof. And sound moves pierce substitute. And throat chop locks out sound moves for 2 turns.

I dunno, its an interesting little subarchetype that has a lot of special rules.

Dexie posted:

I can see maybe Rock being weak to it, but as far as it's other type relations go, what else would work?

Ice :downs:

Personally, I'd make it SE against Water, Ground and Fairy. Resisted by Rock, Dragon, Fire and Ice. Resistant to Fairy, Water, and Fighting. Weak to Steel and Poison.

Zore fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Apr 2, 2017

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Straight White Shark posted:

Nah, that would completely gut the already anemic list of normal-type special attacks.

Its not like thats stopped them before. Remember during the Physical/Special split where they had to create Dark Pulse because all previous Dark moves became physical?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Straight White Shark posted:

Yeah, but at that point what do they even do with it? Regular Beam? Boring Pulse? Sound attacks are an important conceptual niche for normal types and without them normal becomes even more of a joke.

Lean in and give them more poo poo like Tribeam imo. Or hyper beam style lasers.

I mean its not like some of the other types have varied attacks. Oh look I shot fire. This time tho, Im going to shoot more fire. This time even more fire!!!!

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

LAY-ZX posted:

The biggest problem with a "sound" type is that there are existing sound moves with non-normal types that make sense with them. Bug Buzz is the sound a bug makes, it shouldn't be anything other than bug type but it's still a sound-based attack. Same for Metal Sound and Grass Whistle. The other issue comes with what Pokemon get the type. There's Exploud line, Noivern line, Chatot, Meloetta...and that's about it. You could make an argument for Vibrava/Flygon as well but that line has enough typing issues as-is.

B-but all of the fossil Pokemon are literally made of stone

There are a bunch of other sound based pokemon though? Kricketune line, Jigglypuff line, Seismetoad line, Lapras, Chimeco line, Gigalith line, Crobat line...

Granted not all would or should be retyped, but :shrug:

Zore fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Apr 2, 2017

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
gently caress that, divide every type arbitrarily.

Fire is now flame and lava; Grass is now leaf and vine; Ghosr is now gas and spirit; Electric is light and plasma;...

Also Sea is Water and Ice

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Vorpal Cat posted:

I never understood why dark was special in the first place. I mean what part of a punch of underhanded evil monsters that like to beat up and steal from people screams special type to the designers? I mean it made by a freaking special mover for 2 gens, which is just silly.

I mean, Ghost and Dragon are right in the same boat there. Ghost was physical and the only pre gen 4 move that stayed that way after the split was Lick. And the vast majority of Dragon moves, once they started existing in Gen II, were things like Dragon Claw or Outrage.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

I think because rock is a lovely defensive type but one of the strongest offensive ones.

But almost all rock pokemon are slow and defensive. Ice has a similar issue.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Waffleman_ posted:

Have you ever punched a rock? Those things are durable.

According to pokemon, rocks are weak to punching tho.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
Yeah, in Japanese Dark is literally the 'Evil' type.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
Does it get like Tribeam or Hyper voice?

That is gross as hell.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
Also those stats don't seem to follow the normal eeveelution stat distribution of 130/110/95/65/65/60 rearranged.

Edit; Yeah, they're not. Its 70/55/85/115/115/90 which is kinda nuts.

Zore fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Apr 7, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

In Gen 1, they had 110 special, 60 defense, and 65 in two stats and 130 in another. The special split introduced the 95.

So it's been a thing for the entire series.

Flareon drew the short straw and got the 110 in Sp. Def while Vaporeon and Jolteon got it in Sp. Atk

rip Flareon, even in the most minor things you get screwed

• Locked thread