Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Classy Hydra
Oct 30, 2011

You did wrong, Jack,
rest your soul.

Onmi posted:

This is disgustingly true. Also I will point out, of all the pokemon Fangames I've seen, Sage probably looks the best. That's the 4Chan pokemon Fangame. This is likely because everyone on /vp/ hates themselves and thus, opposite of the typical fan-game issue of no vetting, no one is ever pleased.

http://capx.wikia.com/wiki/CAPX_Wiki

Holy crap, a Pokemon fangame with actual design sense. Searching through Sage's pokedex is like night and day when compared to crap like Reborn or, topically, Uranium.

Never played this particular fangame, mostly because I've played enough Pokemon hacks to know when one just doesn't get how good games (or good writing) work. Looking forward to seeing more of what it has to offer, both in terms of design sin as well as of misguided potential.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Classy Hydra
Oct 30, 2011

You did wrong, Jack,
rest your soul.

mandatory lesbian posted:

acknowledging death is dark for a pokemon game, said a bunch of people who never played gen 1 i guess

I'm continually surprised by how few people remember Lavender Tower.

Besides the Marowak bit it wasn't terribly "dark", but death's been a thing in Pokemon from the start.

Classy Hydra
Oct 30, 2011

You did wrong, Jack,
rest your soul.

Zore posted:

Honestly the biggest reason the fakemon look off is the terrible shading job. Compare Mankey and the iron thing's back sprites. They also tend to be really flat color-wise without any gradiants.

Honestly if you had a better sprite artist you could probably pass off some as real pokemon (I think the poison bat-blob is good enough for this).

Pokemon has a pretty broad design conceit, so barring particularly egregious examples most designs can be made to work as long as the detailing, colors and shading don't clash. The problem isn't the individual designs, since anyone with an acceptable level of artistic skill can at least make them not stand out in a bad way.

My issue, personally, is that the designs are just kind of... there. They're a random assortment of pokemon-like scribbles roughly assigned roles traditional to pokemon's early game, and don't succeed in selling me on the region, or fleshing out the "generation's" unique design aesthetic, or providing an interesting iteration on archetypes that we've seen in the past. They're just going through the motions they've observed in the games, neither understanding the reason why they existed nor providing any sort of novelty. You may as well just give us Roggenrola and Zubat again if you're just going to ape their concepts so closely.

Classy Hydra
Oct 30, 2011

You did wrong, Jack,
rest your soul.

Dr. Fetus posted:

It does feel like in some cases a Pokemon should have more than 2 types, but due to technical and design limitations, that can't happen. Of course at this point, rebalancing and reprogramming the game to account for more than 2 types on a Pokemon would be an utter nightmare.

There have been small overtures to triple-types here and there, with things like Steelworker granting Steel-STAB to a non-Steel type and Dry Skin granting an additional weakness (opening up the potential for a x6 damage modifier in certain cases).

I imagine they'll continue somewhat in that vein, where abilities are used to substitute for elements of a third type.

Classy Hydra
Oct 30, 2011

You did wrong, Jack,
rest your soul.

That replay is disgusting in the best way.

Malachite_Dragon posted:

*At level 28, when it evolves at 36, and Frogadier can't learn it... What the hell, Game Freak?

Remember that episode of the anime when they tried to justify why Pikachu doesn't evolve?

It was always sort of intended for pre-evolutions to get a better movepool than their evolved forms, as a sort of incentive for training their weaker forms longer. Nobody cared, though, so the concept was mostly ditched after the first generation.

EDIT: Wait, nevermind, you're saying literally the opposite of what I thought you were. Imagine I responded to someone asking why moves exclusive to pre-evolutions exist.

Classy Hydra
Oct 30, 2011

You did wrong, Jack,
rest your soul.
The framerate'll chug like a madman in any situation where there's more than two pokemon onscreen (particularly if it has to render weather effects), but Sun and Moon are fully playable on a standard 3DS.

Classy Hydra
Oct 30, 2011

You did wrong, Jack,
rest your soul.

GeneX posted:

The pokemon speech translator is stupid as gently caress

Funnily enough, I remember reading somewhere that Game Freak were considering putting in that exact feature pretty early on in the series. There's a nod to it in RSE and ORAS, and the Rotomdex is functionally the same sort of idea.

It's a goofy concept that further removes the idea of Pokemon from having a fantasy animal ecology though, so I see why they never decided to go through with it.

Classy Hydra
Oct 30, 2011

You did wrong, Jack,
rest your soul.

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

A backhoe dragon!????!??!?!?!?

HardDiskD posted:

It got all digimon in here all of a sudden...

I think Digimon did it a bit better, tbh.

Classy Hydra
Oct 30, 2011

You did wrong, Jack,
rest your soul.
Object pokemon are cooler because they demand more attention to design in order to present them as living things, tend to have interesting backstories (Grimer are created by moon X rays wtf), and are often steel, poison or ghost types, all of which are top tier cool according to my inner child.

Cartoonifying some random animal straight-up is both lazier and less interesting than a set of living gears that grow by becoming a progressively more complex system imo. Pokemon should be weird and interesting, not literally just poo poo I see in a zoo.

Classy Hydra
Oct 30, 2011

You did wrong, Jack,
rest your soul.

mandatory lesbian posted:

animals are cool, actually

We have two separate pokemon based on ferrets. They don't even have a gimmick, they're just ferrets. One might be a polecat.

Animals have gone too far.

Classy Hydra
Oct 30, 2011

You did wrong, Jack,
rest your soul.

Endorph posted:

i don't think the ball and chain connecting them to the pokeball is meant to be 'caught pokemon = slavery!!' but 'they are chained to the ball because they died in it,' like how ghosts haunt houses or whatever

Yeah, chains are a common enough ghost motif that I'm surprised they haven't appeared as part of a real pokemon's design yet, given they're the most literal possible metaphor for "attachment". Jacob Marley, for example.

The actual problem with Linkite's design is it has too many gimmicks. It uses a substitute doll; alright, I guess that's kind of an interesting idea. But it's also got that long, attention-drawing chain, and a prominent pokeball that takes up half of its design space, making it even less conventional. There are three separate ideas in play competing for attention, and they just don't gel.

I like weird and unusual pokemon, but you have to really narrow and focus your concept when you're doing something out of the usual, otherwise it just comes off as loving incomprehensible.

EDIT: It's not even a Ghost/Normal type. What a rip.

Classy Hydra fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Mar 20, 2017

Classy Hydra
Oct 30, 2011

You did wrong, Jack,
rest your soul.
I am all-for ridiculous evolution conditions that I can conceivably achieve without finding some random, super-specialized item tucked away somewhere in a corner of the map.

Picking up an Ice/Burn Heal from the Pokemart, or even intentionally getting statused, is a flat improvement on figuring out which pokemon this gen has a 3% chance of holding the Razor Claw I need to evolve my Sneasel. Or even finding a second device to trade with, as trade evos continue to be the absolute worst. Well, besides the specific category of trade evos that also require a rare and limited hold item you have to hunt down.

Location-based evolutions can be hit or miss depending on the game's specific situation (leveling up in Mt. Coronet, the single largest geographical feature of the region, which contains a number of viable routes and caves? Fine. Leveling up in literally the final area of the main game? Less okay), but qualifications like "outside" or "indoors" are so broad that they're effectively just time-based branching evos that are more easily controlled. They're unusual, but the basic idea behind the evolution method is perfectly sound from a gameplay perspective.

I don't see any reason to hold to the sacred cows of the main games for the sake of authenticity when there's a more player friendly alternative. Sure, unusual evolution methods can be hard to guess, but the series itself has never been particularly transparent regarding what pokemon evolve or how they do so. At least, not within the bounds of the games themselves.

Classy Hydra
Oct 30, 2011

You did wrong, Jack,
rest your soul.
Yep, unsurprisingly dropping one of the conceptual gimmicks and reducing the prominence of another improves the design immensely. Neat little touches like the ghost bubbles at the bottom help too, really enhance the idea of it being a sort of innocent spirit. A perfect demonstration of why pulling off any idea is 95% in the actual execution.

Classy Hydra
Oct 30, 2011

You did wrong, Jack,
rest your soul.

PMush Perfect posted:

Thinking about possible ways to make Nuclear Pokemon interesting without a cop-out like "weak to but strong against everything". Obviously, make it a type with good offensive and poor defensive capabilities, but something else besides "is always rebellious".

In theory, if I was trying to rework the concept into something actually interesting and fun, the idea would be to make them riskier and harder to use than average, but potentially more rewarding than sticking with regular pokes. It's a hard balancing act, especially considering the hack's already assuming a fairly high level of competency, which actually gives us less room for design space.

As far as limitations go, I'd suggest making it so nuclear pokemon can't have items used on them in battle. That's a limitation that is manageable for experienced players, teachable for less experienced players, and inherently reduces the longevity of Nuclear pokemon on the field without forcing them to be glass cannons with a crappy typing.

I'd have to think about it a little more to come up with an interesting inherent advantage they could have beyond 'super effective on everything'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Classy Hydra
Oct 30, 2011

You did wrong, Jack,
rest your soul.

The Unlife Aquatic posted:

A special "radiation" status effect that makes every subsequent move deal a little more bonus damage - possibly with a stacking attack/s.attack debuff. Makes them into terrifying wallbreakers.

I was actually considering if it might be interesting for Nuclear pokemon to come parceled with an uncureable, constant status effect that grants them whatever special traits they have, in addition to occupying that slot so they can't be paralyzed, poisoned, burned or put to sleep. Being immune to being status crippled would complement their reduced durability and increase their consistency, without directly increasing their power. Nonvolatile statuses are already rather powerful in pokemon, so the balance isn't thrown out of wack by giving the player more ways to deal with them.

EDIT:

Alex0080 posted:

My MSPaint homage to all of the Fakemon posted in this thread that wanted to be Digimon.

Digital Hazard Nuclear Arbok

Thank you

• Locked thread