Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

get that OUT of my face posted:

While I understand the convention behind it, I think it's a shame that Hitmontop is named such out west when its Japanese name is a nod to capoeira, the Brazilian dancing martial art.

Top is a reference to Top man, the best fighter in existence, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Begemot posted:

All they need to do is add a difficulty setting for the official games. I think there was a hard mode in BW, but it was only after you beat the game and didn't change move pools or AI or anything, just bumped levels up.

But I imagine that the time and effort it would take to make a satisfying hard mode wouldn't be worth it for the relatively small audience of hardcore players. Who would then just say it's still too easy anyway.

Much more cost effective to keep it in the competitive scene and the post-game gauntlets. Your battle frontiers and subways and maisons and trees and whatnot. So the hardcore people can blow through the story with little effort to get to the stuff they want, and everyone else can just play the game without worrying about it.

Honestly, they should just release standalone challenges where they put out custom AI trainers designed to wreck you. Hell, they could even do puzzle modes where you try to win at a disadvantage with a premade team against an enemy AI team.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Dragonatrix posted:

Just a guess but I'm expecting it to be in the post-game. :v:

I expect it to be the reward from the final postgame superboss.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Dragonwagon posted:

The problem with a pokemon made of constantly moving gears is how do you even pet that kind of thing?

Similar question of how you pet Grimer, Muk, or any flavor of pokemon that's on fire or constantly sparking. Some pokemon need PPE to interact with.

Does klinklang have a proper lock out tag out procedure?

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Acebuckeye13 posted:

I do want to say how mad I am how each of these nuclear power plants keep exploding spectacularly. NUCLEAR POWER DOESN'T WORK THAT WAY :argh:

The Nuclear Power Plant uses Self-Destruct! It's not very effective...

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

I'm developing Alzheimer's. Please help.

I see you've caught 35 Pokémon and seen...
I'm sorry, what were we talking about? Who are you? Where's my wife?

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

PMush Perfect posted:

I used to be a professor and study all kinds of Pokemon, but now I can only remember where I put these three.

He put his Pokémon in the PC and can't remember his password.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Vinylshadow posted:

...nah, that'd be stupid

Which means that it's canon, right?

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Testekill posted:

Just have to look to Australia for that. There's actually a ton of uranium deposits near the surface in Australia and the ancient Aboriginals would actively avoid them and referred to them as places of sickness since the plants and water around them were also contaminated.

That explains so much. Not only does all of the flora and fauna want to kill you, but the very ground you walk on has the potential to have uranium deposits. Are there any parts of Australia not actively trying to murder everything?

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Dienes posted:

Literally all games are Skinner Box games (because they ALL use reinforcement to keep you playing), but people like to use the term for clicker style or gambling style games despite the fact that Skinner Boxes aren't used for random ratio research all that often.

Edit: its because of that South Park episode, isn't it?

Edit2:

Just watched this. There's a few things wrong.
-Skinner didn't discover that organisms learn through their environment or that consequences influence learning. Thorndike did.
-Skinner doesn't use the term 'volition' the way a layperson would. For example, he wouldn't use the term to describe a choice being made of one's own will because he didn't believe free will existed.
-Skinner talked a lot about gambling from a theoretical standpoint but didn't really research it. Modern behavioral research shows that the intermittent payoffs are only a small contribution to addictive play and other reinforcers (primarily negative reinforcement) contribute far more. (This is my dissertation topic.)
-They fundamentally misunderstand the concept of reinforcement. They think reinforcement is strictly a concrete, tangible, artificial thing like points. Its not. Literally all the things that they list at the end (e.g., mastery, novelty, etc.) are parts of reinforcement and operant conditioning, too. When you master a skill in a game, you master it because you got reinforcement for improving (e.g., beating tougher enemies, etc.). It involves an operant conditioning process called shaping. When you encounter novel stimuli, they can be reinforcers because they are novel. When you access a new area or plot point in a game, that's a reinforcer. All games use it. A game without reinforcement would be a game that people don't consider fun. The question isn't whether the game uses it or not, but whether its use of reinforcement is subtle or obvious. That's all.

Sorry for the derail. I'll stop now.

I'd love to hear more about this. Have you considered making a thread? If not, do you have some articles or videos you could link?

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Silver Falcon posted:

I'll ruin the joke further. Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger is another Daft Punk song, hence Harden, Focus Energy, Agility, and Sharpen.

They should have had an ability that shares buffs between the two pokemon so that if one uses a buff, they both get the benefit. Then give each one of them two of those abilities.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Zakrelo posted:

I'm gonna guess its something 99% or 100% not even in the game. No sprite, no moves, no name, no data. They just didn't put anything in besides a missing slot in your pokedex.

I would straight up not be surprised if it's Missingno; it seems like that sort of game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Mr.Morgenstern posted:

and disease names:

I'm fairly certain they trained the neural network off of Space Station 13.

• Locked thread