Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tunicate
May 15, 2012

get that OUT of my face posted:

Those items in Earthbound aren't close to necessary to complete the game. I guess the 1% appearance Pokemon that we've seen so far aren't either, but I doubt they're going to be restrained to bad fighters.

They are necessary to catch 'em all tho, which is arguably the true goal of pokemon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

LAY-ZX posted:

Shortly after X/Y released someone spent all day releasing hundreds of Gravelers named "Testicle" into wonder trade. I got one as did several other goons. I can honestly say I'd rather get wonder traded a Testicle than a Phione. You're a terrible person. :colbert:

Well yeah they're trade evolutions

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Unknown Quantity posted:

During Tie's playthrough, he even notes more or less the exact time that it is given the C&D. Honestly, though, C&D's one of those things where even if it's a Good Product (which Uranium isn't), if you're too public about it or the media makes it too public, someone's going to drop a hammer on it because of how draconian copyright law is. People make a fuss saying "they should buy the product instead like with Megaman vs Street Fighter," but you can't always take the Valve approach to these situations. Granted, the internet being the internet, once it's released, assuming at least a few people with hosting services picked it up, the tapes can be circulated forever long after the C&D.

Technically you can go to projects and officially give an endorsement as well, but that's a lot of hassle and has a chance of backfiring, so it's a lot easier just to send out a form letter.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Nihilarian posted:

"they could have just endorsed it" is an incredibly stupid idea. It's technically correct but ignores the fact that Gamefreak/Nintendo don't want to deal with the possibility of people complaining at them because they missed a fakemon named Coksuker or one of the NPC's is wearing a swastika. Or, just for example, not talking about any specific hack, they don't want a game where the PC's mother dies in a nuclear hellfire at the start to represent the Pokemon brand.

As I said, it's a ton of hassle and can backfire.

Not sure why you seem so angry about it?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Rangpur posted:

I like to think there would be a market for a competently put together one, but a lot of that depends on the franchise, I'd assume. You could probably get a Breath of Fire fangame funded on Kickstarter if you just renamed it 'Agni Prana,' because the only things that stay constant throughout the series are: dude who turns into a dragon sometimes; girl with wings on her back; furries.

And honestly when I put it like that, I'm surprised no one's tried. 'Agni Prana, feat. Roger & Nancy.'

They tried that with megaman. Didn't work out.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

cirus posted:

Alternatively you could just try to slide under the radar like Phoenix Games. Notable works include Animal Soccer World, Snow White and the 7 Clever Boys, Dalmatians 2, 3, and 4 (which are all the same game on different consoles), and Legend of Mulan. They preyed on the tears of children whose well-meaning grandparents got them the cheaper game.

Try to pick out all the characters blatantly stolen in this video!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j4sMwSWoSJY

Oh yeah, dingo pictures. A buncha german animation knockoffs

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Begemot posted:

You can't fool me! This is just a landorus hiding underground!

Wait, wait

We've been looking at Bob Dennis all wrong.

He's just a jigglypuff seen from above.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Vorpal Cat posted:

Sadly this lead to a slippery slope that ended with a match between two Charizard duct taped to Blastoise fighting 6 Electrodes superglued onto a Klinklang, before officials finally deiced to update the Alolan League Rules.

http://thepunchlineismachismo.com/archives/comic/does-this-get-to-count-as-one-pokemon

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

inthesto posted:

In all fairness, if I were to design a Pokemon game, I'd give all psychic types dumpster stats and also if you ever use one your handheld lights on fight and punches you in the nose

One of the things I like is that mewtwo has consistently been a top pokemon in every generation.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Hell, there are dummied out HM replacement items in gen 1 games.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

loquacius posted:

Pint of Guinness pokemon which evolves into a growler and then a keg

Nah, it's a regional variation.

Keggexecutor

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Please tell me it has tractorbeams.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Antivehicular posted:

he was supposed to be in the top percentage goddammit

I'm in the first percentile of rattata! :v:

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Dexie posted:

This thing is adorable and could see it being an actual Pokemon.

I'm getting way too nitpicky here, but it feels like a gomamon trace? It's the pose and the weird underdeveloped flipperlimbs that are doing it, I think.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

PMush Perfect posted:

Thinking about possible ways to make Nuclear Pokemon interesting without a cop-out like "weak to but strong against everything". Obviously, make it a type with good offensive and poor defensive capabilities, but something else besides "is always rebellious".

The first idea that came to mind is something like an inherent Life Orb effect? 30% power boost, but loses a flat 10% of its HP every time it uses a damage-dealing move. Of course, that would turn anything with Sheer Force with a Life Orb into an unstoppable shitwrecker.

Edit The loss of the old secondary typing at least softens the blow on a lot of theoretical options. Nidoking, in particular, would suffer a big loss in reliability from losing STAB on Earth Power.

Nuclear pokemon start out with a ton of weaknesses, but by default have 'Adaptive Radiation' which for the rest of the battle reduces super effective moves to normal effectiveness if you survive them. Like a nuclear/psychic would take 4x from the first bug type move, 2x from the next, then 1x from the third.

(Nuclear obviously is weak to bug type because cockroaches)

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Unknown Quantity posted:

The thing that gets me most about this is that from seeing Tie's playthrough, that's a Psychic trainer, so one of the worst possible trainer types to even try to make this kinda 'joke' with. It just screams "inside joke" or "jab at someone who annoyed the developer" at the top of its lungs.

Or a really lovely homestuck reference maybe?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CU3kIFFXnc0
Like either way it's bad.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Shiny version should have jazz pattern.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

What does flail max out at?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Okay, so, Arcanine has a BST of 555, and that's the highest most things get. Legendary Pokemon, or the 600-bst psudeo-legendaries, or things with drawback abilities like Archeops and Slaking are the only things higher than Arcanine.

You forgot one thing in that analysis.

Arcanine is legendary.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

LEGO Genetics posted:

You know, I got a question.

Why does the Pokemon universe need nuclear energy? Are there not enough electric types in existence? Did the Pikachu union go on strike? If a power plant meltdown makes all wildlife in the area go hostile and bloodthirsty, shouldn't that be the sign to stick with the safe methods? Does this region not believe in geothermal/hydro/wind turbines?

Outside of ridiculous pokeverse reactors, nuclear kills less people than the other sources you mentioned

That and I imagine pokeverse probably has issues with pissed off pokemon the moment you build a dam and start flooding a lake for hydroelectric generation. Even odds that all these meltdowns are being caused by a legendary pokemon.

Tunicate fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Mar 27, 2017

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Added Space posted:

There was also a movie where a pokemon flat out erased a city he didn't like from the time stream. Humans live on sufferance in poke world.

Don't humans have pseudolegendary stats? I think they're in a couple fights in the film event in black and white

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

How about a pokemon game where there's a large wonderful world out there to explore, but your protagonist voluntarily spends all his time indoors living vicariously through the adventures of others.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

chiasaur11 posted:

If I had to go for hard and fast... Hau, yes, Tierno, no.

I feel like Game Freak improved a lot in between X/Y and SuMo in the whole "These are your character's pals!" department. In X and Y, they felt awkward. Just this band of too many "friends" who were obsessed with you for some reason and who in three cases out of four weren't good at anything, and who you felt kind of bad for perpetually crushing in the other case.

Sounds like Battle Network to me.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

KataraniSword posted:

Okay but which timeline is the one where the Hero of Time is defeated?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Dexie posted:

Crystal has no weaknesses and no resistances/immunities and nothing is immune to or strong against it.

So they brought back bird type from gen 1!

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Tribeam should actually be handled as three fire/ice/electric type attacks, but get STAB from normal type :colbert:

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

The real problem is that the type chart is nonsense to begin with.

I mean, ground and rock are both types.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Zore posted:

gently caress that, divide every type arbitrarily.

Fire is now flame and lava; Grass is now leaf and vine; Ghosr is now gas and spirit; Electric is light and plasma;...

Also Sea is Water and Ice

Water should be divided into fresh and salt

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

My pokemon fangame adds type O Negative.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Still not sure why sand attack is ground type instead of dark. Sand in the eyes is like the classic dirty fighting move.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

AlphaKretin posted:

So does Bite.

Yeah, sand attack was also normal in gen 1.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Justice Sloth posted:

I think the poorest justification is Ground vs Poison, like what, you can't be poisoned if you're underground? Subterranean animals are resistant to venomous ones? Steel makes sense because steel types are typically either heavily armored or inorganic. With psychic I suppose you can argue "mind over matter" like meditating away an illness or something. But what, sand negates grime now?

That's a question to be answered in Pokemon Frack Brown

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

OneDeadman posted:

Fix the poke ball shortages by making the poke ball hermit crab duplicate the ball he's in by "relocating"

Give it a pokeball as a hold item and it'll switch that with the one it's currently wearing.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Vinylshadow posted:

Still waiting for a Rock-type Eeveelution though

You obviously get those in the safari zone.

Encounter an eevee and throw a rock at it.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Flying type should be bloviate

Because it makes you longwinded.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Generate would work pretty well for electric type too.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

I'd say Hydrate but I think that one might be taken

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Vinylshadow posted:

Ah yes, now there's what I'd consider the definitive example of a fangame.

The amount of work and detail that went into that game is insane and was a blast to play through.

A pokémon fangame with that amount of effort put into it would be legendary.

Day in the Limelight 2 is another good fangame example.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Schubalts posted:

How could they NOT know what it looks like? It's loving WATER, just swim under it or something. :psyduck:

:iiam:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

VolticSurge posted:

Yeah,some of those variants look kind neat like the Parasect ones,but that Garbodor is pretty tryhardy.

a fat mummy woulda been a not bad design tho

• Locked thread