Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Ok, having read through this.

Why? Why the hell are you trying to be edgy in a pokemon game! SuMo is dark, yeah, but in ways that fits with the games. Dark, snarky pokedex entries? Well, this is a universe where animals we know don't exist, so now we're getting a glimpse into the real interactions that we don't normally think about. Darker story? Sure, that works, and it's built up naturally instead of EDGELORD SUPREME from the start. But gay jokes, nuclear meltdowns, and parent deaths. Why?

I'm going to follow this, just to see how bad the trainwreck ends up being.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Speaking of Sun/Moon, I like how Gladion spends the whole game trying to be edgy and winds up having a team of mostly Friendship evolution Pokemon by the end.

Or that Team Skull is entirely a parody of edgy teens though they have their moments when they're legitimately dark

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Dexie posted:

Oh, there's definitely some edgelord stuff in there. Check out Kurian Tsareena's page.

I'm going to regret this aren't I.

quote:

The Kurian form of Tsareena. They live in the absolute depths of the reason and stay there, making Bounsweet and Steenee do the dirty work outside of their homes.

Their homes are built like laboratories, but with unknown technology. In their homes, captured Pokémon and sometimes even Humans are found. While the captured Pokémon tend to be fine outside of being nervous, the humans tend to act really weird, which can last for their entire lifetime. It is unknown what causes this or why the Tsareena do it, but it seems they experiment on humans.​

Nobody knows what kind of experiments are held. Even the captured humans either refuse to tell out of fear or have forgotten somehow. Some professors even think that the Tsareena itself was also experimented on, which causes the transformation. Exactly who or what experimented them is unknown, but there is clear evidence that the beings that do the experiments on Tsareena are not from this world.​

Yup, edgy. Also, that hidden ability is anticipation just rebadged. Or maybe buffed a little by IDing the enemy with those moves.

The "All Attacks are Special" ability is... hmm... I don't know what to think. On one hand, it allows you to dump attack in general, but that means it can't break special walls like Blissey and Chansey. As far as fan abilities go, that's... I don't know what to feel.

Also, balancing mons based on rarity is a bad move if your game A. has breeding and B. trading (looking at you, special Magikarp with a move that does damage and causes rain).

e: though giving Combee a male only evo that's a tank to protect the queen is, admittedly, a neat idea.

iospace fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Apr 2, 2017

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Johnny Joestar posted:

this makes me realize even more why i'm glad that sage decided not to include fairy type and megas when those came out during development

I can understand megas, but why glad about no fairy?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Johnny Joestar posted:

the pokedex was already pretty locked down, and shoehorning the type + the moves into the game would only take up more time

Ah, ok. That makes sense then.

Looking at the Azurite stuff, the designs aren't that bad for some of the originals. Like they don't look blatantly out of place.

The balance decisions, however, are horrendous. Let's give a new 'Mon a combo of perish song and mean look... IN ONE MOVE.

Why!?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Zore posted:

tbh, I was semi-convinced the new type in X/Y would be sound before they revealed Fairy. It definitely has enough stuff in the game to support an archetype already with a ton of pokemon based around it, sound moves having special mechanics, multiple abilities that affect sound moves etc.

Not saying it should be, but I could easily have seen Gamefreak doing it.

We do have Liquid Voice, Popplio's HA: "All sound-based moves become Water-type moves."

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Dexie posted:

"Mystic Type is not what you'd expect, and that's the entire point of it. Mystic is a type dedicated to that which can not be explained, but is still incredibly powerful. The entire type is about messing with your expectations.

Mystic is a type with the most trickery of all types, with many moves and abilities that exist purely to mess with you, to subvert what you've learned and to trick you into making mistakes. Remembering all tricks Mystic has to offer will be incredibly tough."

http://www.projectazurite.com/mystic-type

A typing that's already covered by Fairies and Psychics.

How is a single type double resistant to another single type :psyduck:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Dexie posted:

It's messing with your expectations!

:ughh: And their website isn't consistent with it.

Like, there's some halfway decent ideas here. Item that increases encounters? Cool, good for grinding EVs. I'd know I'd want one now that I see that. A defense version of the Assault Vest? Also not bad.

Though I do find it funny they included a 0.1 catch rate ball after everyone was using beast balls.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

AweStriker posted:

I forget whether an Illuminate haver needs to be in the front slot but between it and Sweet Scent the convenience seems unnecessary.

Field moves are gone, so you have to spam honey. I forgot about Illuminate, though.

But Stench and that one held item also reduce encounter rates, which does overlap with repell.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

PMush Perfect posted:

It's telling that the 2017 VGC rules straight-up ban mega evolution.

AlphaKretin posted:

I don't like Mega Evolution either, but this in particular is I think just meant to encourage using the new stuff instead.

See also: the requirement for the clover (the black cross shape next to the markings on a specific 'mon), meaning it A. has to be hatched or caught in Gen VII and B. eliminates all Gen VI tutor moves. So that pixilate Sylveon you have with Hyper Voice? Yeah, can't use that, sorry.

Not to mention Alolan dex only.

(Legendaries such as UBs and Tapus should have been banned from the get go)

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Tenebrais posted:

The fossil pokemon are all rock-type because fossils are literally rocks and they are made from fossils.

I imagine the actual prehistoric pokemon wouldn't have been rock-type, if pokemon natural history works that way.

Ancient-type sounds kind of cool but how would it relate to other types? I don't feel like it works as an actual elemental type, it's just a theme some pokemon have.

Which loops back into sound! Go figure, it's a theme, not an element.

But yeah, the new types added were pretty much for balance purposes. Though I don't really see what Steel was trying to balance apart from "pure defensive type".

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Robindaybird posted:

I honestly can't see a new type being added as anything one could think of can be covered by existing types (Cosmic/Light by fairy for example), would rob another type of options for movelists (Sound for normal), or wouldn't really work as an element.

Though I do think a lot of the Flying Types mon need an overhaul - how many gens did it take before GF finally made a pure flying and the ton of flying/normals that could be reclassed - as say perhaps Flying/Fighting

Flying really, really needs an overhaul, or a more accurate name. It's effectively "air" in classical elements, at least in practice.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Tunicate posted:

Still not sure why sand attack is ground type instead of dark. Sand in the eyes is like the classic dirty fighting move.

I don't know why, either.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

KataraniSword posted:

Can't transfer Z-Crystals between games. I now am obligated by blood to never reset my copy of Pokemon Moon or else I lose that Snorlium and Mewnium forever. That just ain't kosher.

Neither of those have any competitive use, to be fair. They're a trinket that just exists, like the Mewtwo mega stones.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

The only center without a working PC to my knowledge is Po Town in SuMo

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

mrpwase posted:

♪ Yo, we both know that you weren't a jerk ♪
♪ But we can't get this drat PC to work ♪

Team Skull is probably both potentially one of the most dangerous, silly, and wholly self aware pokemon villain teams ever.

Which made them so much better.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Dexie posted:

All of Eevee's evolutions are types that were special before the split. Presumably Fairy type would have been special too, and presumably we'll get a Dragon type evolution to round things out.

The other thing is every new Eeveelution was a mechanic introduce that game. Gen II was friendship and day/night, Gen IV was location based (Moss Rock/Ice Rock), Gen VI was pokemon amie/refresh based (and fairy).

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Let's see, fairy/dragon...

Well, it'll be immune to Dragon, weak to Fairy, Ice, Poison, and Steel, resistant to Fighting, Fire, Water, Grass, Electric, Bug, and Dark.

Oh, and there's only one of them in the games and that's a mega evo.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

EclecticTastes posted:

They both use the same kanji, it's that "daikatana" is an incorrect reading of those kanji in that linguistic context. That is, it's poor kanjigation. :buddy:

Mods, kill this man.

I approve

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Shiva Asori posted:

Welcome to the only nuclear type in the game worth using, and it's capable of using quick attack and explosion as well.

Most nuclear type pokemon are crap because there's only 3 nonexclusive nuclear damaging attacks and those are crap because they cap at 60 power and most of the pokemon who use them use the wrong attack stat for it.

Nucleon gets everything the others don't, Speed, Power and move variety that the other need but lack.

Also the ability to always use a move instead of the "loafing around" dice rolls.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

The dentist is one of those "... that's a not bad idea" thing, but at this point I'm preaching!

Something tells me I don't want to know the next gym's gimmick.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

*hides her team with it on it that exists only to participate in stuff and not win*

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Comically easy after a specific sidequest.

Will you be documenting said sidequest eventually, or have you already?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Onmi posted:

No Reborn just has one of the gym leaders pretend to be gay to protect the feelings of another gym leader and when it's revealed the latter throws themself off a waterfall.

:wtc:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Xelkelvos posted:

Some of them were 100% questionable in design like the Geodude line, but regional variants are a cool concept in general.

Golem had a loving cannon added. How the hell is that "questionable"?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

I hate super training. I use the stylus with my left hand and that makes the minigame just terrible.

Fellow lefty! :hfive:

And yeah, I hate it when you can't reverse the controls.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Has anyone done an SSLP of Reborn?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Wasn't everyone excited to see how Clover was going to turn out then it turned out to be exactly what people should have expected it to be?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Dienes posted:

Sage has the best fakemon of all the fan games. Shame the rest is so off.

However bad you think Clover is, it's worse. I'm talking KKK themed pokemon.

So how is Sage, if it's out.

And regarding the second... :ughh:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Bob Smith posted:

A Daft Punk pokemon should surely come with, as starting moves, Harden, Focus Energy, Agility and Sharpen.

:perfect:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Look up magic numbers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Haifisch posted:

Goon projects only succeed when they're started by accident.

Or the worst things ever.

• Locked thread