Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

Scarodactyl posted:

Yeah, the standard deviation is apparently pretty high.

This is common enough in the anime that Bulbapedia even has an article about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."
Assuming the in-game storage system doesn't involve large ranches like in the anime (or, given that teleportation is still involved, even if it does), the PCs could work like the transporters from Star Trek, except the patterns don't degrade over time. In fact, it may be similar to a previous poster's guess, and the storage system keeps constant patterns for each species, so that a given trainer only uses up space for the elements unique to their individual Pokemon. This would, of course, include personality, memories, and anything else essential to the Pokemon's identity. However, the teletransportation paradox applies, regardless. The only situation in which it might not is if the PC works exactly like Star Trek transporters*, which convert the subject's atoms into an energy pattern and reconstitute them exactly as they were at the destination (barring accidents, where anything goes), rather than making a replica (which is why they have limited range), and maintains the subject's original consciousness through :techno:.

Of course, given that Pokemon is still a video game series for children, I'm pretty sure that, no matter how the system works, the Pokemon you put in is the Pokemon you get out, including continuity of consciousness. But that's not as much fun to speculate about.

*Or Wonkavision.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

What do I call molten rock when jackoffs make a battle arena right above it?

Overused. :rimshot:

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Dabir posted:

Yeah, remember that's the game where something like Chansey or Golbat can start evolving from happiness then suddenly stop because you don't have the National Dex yet.

It also autosaves before you fight legendaries so you truly only get one chance, ever, to catch them. FR/LG were kind of bullshit like that, and I'm glad later games went in completely the opposite direction, with legendaries respawning every time you beat the E4 until you catch them and generally making things easier outside of the various Battle Towers.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Red Metal posted:

no it doesn't

I apparently got some bad information from somewhere, my bad. Guess it pays to fact-check vaguely remembered rumors. :shrug:

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Blockhouse posted:

Otohime is from One Piece (and a giant mermaid princess so that's appropriate) and Fii is from No Game No Life, I don't get any of the other ones

"Um, actually Otohime was the giant mermaid princess' normal-sized mother, you're thinking of Shirahoshi." -Paul, probably (also me :negative:)

I think the most annoying part about this game's dialog is how suddenly all the bullshit fan terminology has been insufferably shoehorned into the world (like Adam's line referring to the "three Legendaries of metal" like "Legendaries" is just a word normal people use, and how NPCs will casually refer to game mechanics that were always couched in oblique terms before). But, I guess fanfic authors have never exactly had a great deal of respect for the fiction if it got in the way of their dumb ideas.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Dermafrost" sounds like a brand of cold cream designed to feel extra-cold.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Stroth posted:

It makes me try to think of pokemon themed Burma Shave ads.

While the ants/
were pretty lame/
those weren't the worst bugs/
in this game.

Derma-Frost

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Not enough love for my boy Strangy. Wharmwbra is the best Ability in the game, hands-down.

• Locked thread