Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
acknowledging death is dark for a pokemon game, said a bunch of people who never played gen 1 i guess

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

EclecticTastes posted:

There's a difference between "I'm sad, my Pokemon's dead" and "You, yes you, playing this, are going to get old and die, just like these melancholy visions of faded glory, and like them, your significance to anyone outside your immediate circle of family and friends is likely to be momentary at best and extremely early compared to life expectancy, assuming you achieve anything at all, which is unlikely. Also people you thought of as important in your past have all but certainly forgotten you in return."

yeah, that would be bad, if a pokemon game did that, good thing it hasn't

all the pokemon entries about death are ghost being spooky and nature red in tooth and claw stuff, they aren't telling the kids they don't matter or whatever the heck this post is

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

XavierGenisi posted:

What the gently caress is a Barewl supposed to be anyways?

it's got a Megaman helmet, maybe it's some kind of obtuse reference to the one-up?

the name seems like a pun on barrel but it really doesn't look anything like one

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
ghidorah is cooler then any tank

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Blaze Dragon posted:

That'd be even more stupid, unneccesary EDGY. Rangers have already been shown as good in their entire series, saying "NO BUT THEY WERE ACTUALLY MIND CONTROLLING POKEMON" is really stupid.

That said if you're going to setup something as hard as this game is, at least do something with it. Have the Rangers be a part of the story beyond the protagonist's dad who is an already established character but completely OOC because EDGY.

it's a bit early to whine about the story not having rangers when we haven't seen any of it

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
pissed off old dude was certainly the most realistic of the human roadblocks

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Crazy Achmed posted:

Wait, is owten an owl kitten thing? Because that's adorable. I bet they gently caress up the evolution though.

As far as difficulty in pokemon games goes, I discovered that playing as a gimmick team of all one type is a pretty interesting way to make the games more challenging without being bullshit. Sure, it's not too hard to get through the game if you have a well-balanced team set up to deal with any given type, but trying to make an all-steel (or steel/whatever) team work was difficult but really fun. I haven't played any of the games in ages, but next time I pick one up I figure I'll pick a type that isn't already taken by a gym/boss.

try all dark in Gen 2, weep when the first dark type isn't until just before the final gym

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
well OKAY technically the eevee you get can become umbreon but that's still a good ways in

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

inthesto posted:

I tried to do mono-poison in gen 1

Take a wild guess where I got stonewalled

Brock's gym bc all you had was beedril

unless this was yellow where Nidoran can get Double Kick fairly quickly

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Hammurabi posted:

Even if it wasn't yellow you could still just use Nidoran. Or powerlevel up to Nidoking if you really have to (you shouldn't).

the key words in my post were fairly quickly, leveling to 43 in red or blue is not gonna go fast before the first gym

BioEnchanted posted:

Reminds me of playing Yellow. My first time fighting Brock I levelled Pikachu until it learned (I think) Quick Attack and just chiselled away at Onyx for ages.

thats what i did my first time playing...good times

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Tired Moritz posted:

I don't get Smore. I don't see anything that has to do with ants in it. :(

it's a stylized ant, it's got the abdomen and stuff but the design has been, for lack of a better word, cutified a bit. kinda makes this post

Straight White Shark posted:

Holy poo poo, I think this might be the laziest goddamn pokemon design of all time. So it's a regular ant, whose name is just a very tangentially related common noun, not any sort of pun or portmanteau or wordplay.

seem dumb to me, cause it's got enough different from a regular ant to be sufficiently poke-fied in my eyes

it's def more different looking from a common ant then any of the early bird pokemon have from regular birds in the real games

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
unless you meant why it was named smore, that's a dumb name bc the creator of this game isn't very smart

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

But what does that have to do with s'mores?

beat you by one minute, chump!

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
i'm assuming the ant evolves into a fire ant with actual fire, there is precedent for pokemon to learn moves only their evos can get stab from

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
none of the translators are nba fans i guess, or just as likely, are okay with it sharing the name cause eventually kevin durant will die, while pokemon is eternal

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
iron claw is still way worse then ember since it misses like, all the time

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Cathode Raymond posted:

I only like Pokémon with angry eyebrows.

kirby is my favorite pokemon too

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Regalingualius posted:

Yyyyup, that's the one.

...How the gently caress did something so awful-looking ever get off the ground enough to create one of the most well-known challenges?

skip to the end, the art was better when it was just stick figures

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
also goddamn apparently it has a full blown story plot thing going on now, guy crawled right up his own rear end

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Crazy Achmed posted:

Am I the only one who has a dislike of the designs that look too mechanical/artificial?

gently caress you magnemite is my angel

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

EclecticTastes posted:

To be fair on that point, in the original context, it seems it was just a joke line out of the Japanese strategy guide for Super Metroid, and not even the most objectionable of the various entries for "Secret of Samus that only I know". Here's some transcripts I was able to dig up, the lines about Samus, including the beauty mark thing, are in a sidebar on the right. Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think first-person shooters were particularly well-regarded in Japan until recently, generally speaking, which may have contributed to Sakamoto's distaste for the Prime series. It's a shame, I liked Metroid Prime more than the main series.

the one where the guy says samus is shemale is way worse of a joke imo

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

EclecticTastes posted:

I think Zorak mentions it at the end of the Quartz LP as being called Pokemon Marble. It supposedly looked pretty okay at the time.

went looking for info on this and found the best rom hack i've ever seen

http://pokemonromhack.com/pokemon-the-wooper-who-saved-christmas.html

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Endorph posted:

the worse part of that was (mostly non-trans) people trying to take that and turn it into some sort of pro-trans power thing

i feel like the sentence right before it being "she isn't a woman" kinda immediately puts that out as an option but i guess i'm not entirely surprised

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Patrick Spens posted:

I didn't really join in on the barewl hate, but that evolution is awful.

what's really weird is that the hair spike, armor and color scheme is pretty good at showing they're related but the whole package is utterly nonsensical, it's kind of impressive how you can design something clearly from another thing and yet have them look completely alien to each other

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

That has more to do with brains not being cute than it does with any issues of practicality or evolutionary suitability. See also: spoink.

Johnny Joestar posted:

yeah, i feel like a canon pokemon would just have a large head more than anything. even the more 'morbid' pokemon out there are pretty sanitized.

it's kinda funny you mention that cause the animal (i think) it's based on (the oranda) just has a fleshy brainish looking blob on it's head rather then a literal brain, and it's known for being cute

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Johnny Joestar posted:

in the back of my mind i'd known i'd seen something like that before but didn't know the name, and yeah, this actually works a lot better than going a literal route. i would personally make the brain colors match the body more and keep it eyeless, maybe add some weird markings. would look a lot more official, in my opinion

making the brain more the color of the flesh would help a lot for how jilting it is yeah

Tired Moritz posted:

that's an ugly fish

oranda is a qt :mad:

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

DeafNote posted:

also the backstory for the first villain is more than I expected to see in a game, and you just gotta love a straight up dick

hell yeah, that;s why i love Blue and Silver

unless you mean literal dicks, which i also love but not in a pokemon game (my metapod named PENIS excepted)

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
i actually like baashun, it's kinda cute...

also

this is literally charizard's head right, like i can't be the only person that sees that

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

It's only in retrospect that I realize I could've colored its back sprites' wool orange and I seriously regret not doing so.

i can't wait to see how baashuns evolution ruins its actually decent design

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

lightrook posted:

To be fair, there are a decent number of snakes, skinks, and caecilians that are noodle-shaped and live underground digging tunnels; most people don't think of them because we don't see them because they live, y'know, underground. The bifurcated neck is a pretty serious design flaw for a tunnel-digging animal, though, although Dugtrio somehow managed with three? Blatantly ripping off Charizard's head is inexcusable, though.

dugtrio gets around it by never showing if its 3 digletts hanging out with 3 distinct bodies or 3 heads on one body

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Cathode Raymond posted:

So you're saying that dugtrio is the Pokémon equivalent of three kids in a trench coat? I suppose this makes more sense than it being some three headed monster.

in a series with Weezing and Magneton it's really not that out there

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

WarpedLichen posted:

Not really, unless you think things like Diglet, Garchomp and Onix look like diggers.

diglet and onix are long cylindrical pokemon, so yeah they're both copying the burrowing animal body plan very well!

garchomp doesn't look like a burrower but it's arms with the wings could theoretically be used as a shovel so as long as it's just digging shallowly so eh whatever i'll let it pass

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
fwiw, that shrimp is totally something pokemon would do ("a shrimp that lights up" i mean), and the pun is top-tier

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
i feel bad for ol' baaschaf, cursed to eternally stand on its own tail

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Gridlocked posted:

:agreed: they could have at least expended poke'rest of the planet before they moved into Sun/Moons extradimensional pokemon poo poo.

Doduo post. My bad.

yeah i hated platinum going into the alternate world too

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

The problem with Uranium, and this is a pervasive problem, and perhaps the biggest problem with the whole thing, is that it's designed for the people who are super into poo poo like Nuzlocke runs and the comp scene and it suffers for it.

but it's not designed for them at all, the nuzlocke run ending on the first battle clearly shows they didn't actually think through any kind of actual design towards nuzlocke runners

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
i would like them to do somewhere that sees almost no representation, like any region of africa, above any place in europe

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

loquacius posted:

I do not trust a Japanese-made game set in subsaharan Africa to not be incredibly racist

i'd rather they try and fail then not try at all, tbh

also pokemon seems to be pretty good nowadays about not being offensive, like the hawaii region wasn't tremendously racist as far as i know

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

KataraniSword posted:

Jynx went from blackface to "purpleface", so there's still some :raise: to be ironed out.

they changed that in gen 2!!! how is 20 years not enough time to be considered ironed out!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Commander Keene posted:

I think Katarani is saying something like "purpleface is just 'trying not to be blackface'" and that the problem still needs to be actually fixed and not just Band-Aided.

idk the long blonde hair goes a long way to make it not look so racist to me, but i defer that i can't really comment on it

Johnny Joestar posted:

i feel like beyond any racial implications or no, jynx is just really kind of a crap design

also tbh this is true

• Locked thread