Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

MachuPikacchu posted:

This reads like a 14-year-old's idea of what a hypothetical "grown-up" Pokémon game should be.

I can't wait to see more.

That is EVERY Pokemon Fan-game. I hate it so much, I only enjoy games like Uranium because now we have proof that, as it turns out, making a Pokemon Game that's good is not actually easy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

FPzero posted:

It's lack of thorough testing. As the creator(s) you are your own worst tester(s) because you know everything ahead of time and have formed an insular ideology around the project. That's why getting outside testers is absolutely crucial when it comes to releasing a game. But for fangames that's often too hard or your testers are your most rabid fans meaning they're probably just as bad a pick as you are or are just asking to test because it means they get to play the game a little sooner than others.

This is disgustingly true. Also I will point out, of all the pokemon Fangames I've seen, Sage probably looks the best. That's the 4Chan pokemon Fangame. This is likely because everyone on /vp/ hates themselves and thus, opposite of the typical fan-game issue of no vetting, no one is ever pleased.

http://capx.wikia.com/wiki/CAPX_Wiki

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Gyra_Solune posted:

What do people here think of Pokemon Reborn? It's kind of the same sorta 'it's pokemon but OOH DARK AND EDGY' i mean you watch a man kill himself, but it sorta goes so far in establishing the shithole nature of the setting that it's in a way something I got used to instead of just sorta thinking it's lame whenever it came up, aside from the above sorta egregious plot point. I never got far enough to see how rough later encounters get but I kind of found what I did play interesting in that it was explicitly designed with scarcity of resources in mind, including actual Pokemon mostly being in out of the way locations you have to really rummage around for, and most of the high-tier Pokemon are either not even available yet or things you can only get once through chains of events or choices

The field effect gimmick got a little obnoxious at times because it felt like it was the game kinda railroading you into a specific strategy. Said guy who jumped off a cliff had his MEGA ULTRA DEATH POISON field and ultimately the only practical way to deal with it is 'have a Pokemon with Gust', and basically it seems like it's a massive frustrating pain in the rear end unless you specifically have a Swoobat. I do think it's clever that the Gym Leaders try to subvert the usual 'just bring an x type' by having something else interesting going on, like how the Grass lady has this weird-rear end Sandstorm team but I'm dubious how much of my ability to get past them was my actual skill or just sheer luck with the specific team I selected. If nothing else though it's made very clear that no this is going to be a difficult game aimed towards people who play more competitively and know all the quirks of the series so at least it's up-front about that.

Pokemon Reborn is awful.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

EclecticTastes posted:

There's a difference between "I'm sad, my Pokemon's dead" and "You, yes you, playing this, are going to get old and die, just like these melancholy visions of faded glory, and like them, your significance to anyone outside your immediate circle of family and friends is likely to be momentary at best and extremely early compared to life expectancy, assuming you achieve anything at all, which is unlikely. Also people you thought of as important in your past have all but certainly forgotten you in return." Like, that's maybe an okay message for adults who already realize that and have managed to find effective distractions to avoid spending all their time screaming in horror, but this is a game that's still ostensibly for children. Granted, that's easily the most extreme example in the game, the rest falls more comfortably into the usual Pokemon mold of "some of these monsters are messed up, man", but it's a moment that's stuck with me.

Yeah the Eevee quest in the post Sub/Moon game was just this awful case of depression as you hunt down old people and just basically get more depressed as time goes on.

Gyra_Solune posted:

Well what are your specific complaints with it?

Mostly for perspective, the only people I know talking about it are the people who recommended it to me, who are very deep into competitive Pokemon, and like, the game's actual forums, so yeah I haven't seen what primary criticisms of it are like! As I said I didn't play very far because I just stopped playing games in general really.

Also I'm kinda sad the Dark type stopped being about being sneaky and cheaty and honorless and started being more I SHALL BLAST YOU WITH A LASER OF DARKNESS because that sorta stops making sense, like, it's obvious why Fighting types can lay the smack down on a sneaky bastard but what does that have to do with The Evil Dark Edgelord Of Nightmare Hell

About a third of the gym leaders off themselves, the plot is absolutely rancid with "Hmm, this is something I saw in my tumblr feed and is an "Important Issue." I feel like I should tackle this in a Pokemon game." The battle balance is out of whack, the actual region itself looks like garbage. The characters are all hateable, its episodic nature is exhausting.

It commits nearly every cardinal sin I can think of for a Pokemon fangame. It is not 'mature' pokemon, it is just legitimately awful. It's more edgy than Shadow the Hedgehog. With a difficulty curve designed by someone who'd been smashed in the head with a hammer until their brains were leaking out their ears.

Here is my personal philosophy. A good Fangame is also a good 'game' It should be made with the idea that, yeah, even if 99% of people have all played the series already and thus know everything, that you should still design it to be accessible and with clear and concise design choices. Reborn was made by tryhards who make things with broken ideas of what "Hard" is.

On top of that, understand what you're making and write appropriately. Having to watch a gym leader commit suicide because the woman she thought was her girlfriend was actually straight and just indulging her (Yes this actually happened) by throwing herself off a waterfall. I'm sorry, how is that Pokemon exactly?

mandatory lesbian posted:

yeah, that would be bad, if a pokemon game did that, good thing it hasn't

all the pokemon entries about death are ghost being spooky and nature red in tooth and claw stuff, they aren't telling the kids they don't matter or whatever the heck this post is

Have you not done the Eevee side-quest in Sun and Moon? Because it's exactly that An old Eevee trainer has you hunt down the trainers of Eeveelutions who always used to beat him, each one you find has grown old, one of whom has the early stages of Alzheimer's, one who is dying, and one who's dead. The overall theme being that Pokemon training isn't really something you can do as an adult, eventually you have to give it up and get a job and support your family.

Onmi fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Feb 18, 2017

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

GeneX posted:

Holy poo poo, that sounds even worse than Uranium

Put it like this. Uranium opens up with its dumb Nuclear meltdown.

Reborn opens up with you narrowly surviving a terrorist attack on the train you're riding.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Junpei posted:

Maybe I'm not a literary expert, but I don't understand why tragic backstories and action-based openings are a bad thing.

Reborn's opening isn't in medias res, is it?

Because it's pokemon. You want to invent a world that does these things and has you start upon your journey in your own franchise? Fine. You'll be judged by your awful gameplay still, but at least the story wont be completely tone inappropriate.

Imagine if you booted up Sun and Moon and got "We're moving to Alola because your father was molesting you."

POKEMON!

Onmi fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Feb 18, 2017

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

My Linux Rig posted:

Where did people get the idea that a basic game about catching monsters needed more of a back story

I blame sun and Moon. There were so many moments of "shut up and let me play the game I don't give a poo poo about this nebby whatever" and then it turned into the lamest of legendary Pokemon where you had to catch it to progress

Maybe uranium will pick up on the next best thing sun and Moon introduced and have more "but you must!" Yes/no choices in the game

I mean sun and Moon was a good game but Christ the exposition...

These were all released before Sun and Moon.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Dr. Dos posted:

Ages ago I got linked to and wound up reading this massive thread that anaylzed the designs, inspiration, and impact of every single pokemon: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1120680

It actually got finished (prior to Sun/Moon's release) and while certainly not official, there's a lot of cool stuff in it like the Timburr line's connection to Japanese stereotypes about criminals.

A lot of fan designs tend to boil down to "It's electric so it will have sharp angles, and it's a clam so we'll call it Shellshok because that's a weak pun" .

Different source (Not associated with poo poo like Neogaf) is Bogleeches pokemon reviews

http://www.bogleech.com/pokemon/parchive.html

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

By the way, if we're talking about nonsensical roadblocks, then I think the chief among them must go to the fanhack Pokemon Glazed. The situation is you're invading the underground hideout of a church of Arceus worshippers to find their leader Pius (It's as bad as it sounds.) all so you can rescue Jasmine who got kidnapped. So you battle guards, move to the bad guys office and a dude off to the side shouts "No entering without permission!"

And you just can't enter. You are storming the enemy base, there is nothing in front of you, the door isn't locked, this guy wont fight you. He just compels you to not attack by saying you aren't allowed in. So you have to search for another route.

Another constant Fan Game sin is the feeling that you're not actually accomplishing anything. I've not actually played Uranium, so I have no idea if it does it. But count how many times in a Pokemon game you fight the evil team and then they accomplish their goal anyway and you 'lose' essentially. It's not often, more than likely they'll win because their goal wasn't you or right there. Like in S/M how they capture Nebby by making it so you're nowhere near when they try it. Or by stalling you, like Courtney in Ruby. Imagine if, when you got to the legendaries in Sinnoh, you beat Cyrus and then he went "Master Ball go!" and caught the two legendaries anyway. Why the gently caress did it matter?

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Thats changing a bit.
In b/w you meet ghetsis in the first gym town, and in b/w2 its your rivals motivation. iirc XY also has you meet lysandre pretty early on.
Havent played SuMo so i dunno

SuMo has you start by getting saved by Tapu Koko

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

loquacius posted:

Ah yes, Koalypt, the weed pokemon

Not quite

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eucalyptus

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

I will say, something that fan games still struggle with, and which I try to talk to many creators about (And fail because they don't get it) is that you should design your fan game with the mindset that you are still making a game. Yes, it's 99% unlikely that someone is playing your fangame if they are not already familiar with the series. But you should still design it as if you were, because as it turns out, designing it as if everyone is the same as you tends to make the game very stiff and garbage. Yeah sure, you find your dumb in jokes funny, or you find something really cool, but sometimes you just need to think about what it is you're doing and if it would fly if you tried to sell it. That's the other mind set, make it as IF you were going to sell it, even if you aren't.

The common response is "Yeah but this is a fan game only the hardcores are playing it anyway."

The worst part is these people are typically surrounded by sycophants to whom the response is "It's just a fan game, why do you care? Why should any effort be put in? Why are you being scrutinizing?" And I don't get that mindset. Who wants to just be told "Yeah, looks good." And not receive any proper feedback?

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Taciturn Tactician posted:

That's not actually that unusual, as long as devs wise up enough to move off of it being "a 4chan project" once they have a team together it's not the worst place to find nerds who can make games.

Eh, they still do "Dev Sunday" every week at 4chan. It's more that once the team is assembled, you need to be able to communicate more effectively than "Anonymous posts when you aren't sure people are on and awake"

Here's the attack animation they've done up for Terrorize

And this is Vivace, the town where the games bad guys are set

Both meant to represent the glitzy glam on the surface and the slums. They also had gifs handling the new Pokemon Follow script (because the one they had they didn't like) and showcasing the new stairs because, in their own words "The old ones didn't look good."

All from this past sunday.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Also, while Uranium is very bad, keep in mind, the quality of the Pokemon Fan Game community means.

It is not alone.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Johnny Joestar posted:

if nothing else it's hard not to do things better than uranium

Johnny, don't say poo poo like that I can PROVABLY prove you wrong. You don't want to know how deep that rabbit hole goes.

Also more Sage stuff from this Sunday

Designing the villains base, that's one of the Legendaries there, attempting to represent the Space Age

Sage Design Notes posted:

Each member of the trio is (at least visually) a synthetic, inorganic Pokémon, and is themed after an age of man: Eronze is the Bronze Age, Erion the Industrial Age, and Erace the Space Age. Each member also has a different number of eyes, ranging from 1 to 3, in accordance with the sequence of the ages they are based on, which are located inside an orifice or orifice-like structure on each. Each member of the trio also has similar proportions and body layouts: no distinct head, large upper body and arms, and a small lower body. Lastly, each member of the trio has their elemental affinity shown on or above their backs in their sprites: Eronze has a flame, Erion has clouds of smog, and Erace has electric arcs.

All three golems share the same primary type: Steel. Each of their secondary types is weak to Ground, making the entire trio doubly weak to Ground moves (as Steel is also weak to Ground). This was an intentional design choice, meant to symbolize how humankind is still at the mercy of the Earth, both in terms of the impermanence of our structures and as living things.

Actual thought put in to why the Legendaries are the way they are.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Po Town is the way it is because of Team Skull. They did run everyone out of town, but as it turns out, they're all youths with no future and hope and the town is a gigantic poo poo hole now that barely has power and is utterly trashed. It's legitimately very depressing to wander through, because no one in Team Skull has hope for themselves, they're simply living day to day. This is also why Skull is the best Team, because they're entirely new, hilarious and yet somehow completely depressing.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Suraht posted:

At this point, I'm fully expecting a future trainer to say "My Pokemon is kickin' rad!" before battle and then throw a nuclear Hitmonlee or something similar at the player.

No because that's a proper, groanworthy pun with inventiveness and thought put into it.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

This btw, is why whoever the project lead is needs to be able to stamp the foot down and say "Okay everyone shut the gently caress up about the thing that's not important to what we're doing." Which has come up a few times in my own development circles. You need someone to make it 100% clear that you're there to do a job, whatever that job is, and not to get into a slap fight with the other team members.

EDIT: No, it's not loving important what a person believes when they have a job to do. What is important is them doing their job and doing it right. If they're not doing their job right, that's a problem that needs to be addressed, and if them not doing their job right comes down to their beliefs, whatever they may be, that's when they get addressed.

If you've got the time to be upset and debate one of your fellow workers about politics, then apparently you finished all of your own work, yes? Otherwise, you pack that poo poo in, act like a god damned adult, and do your loving job. THAT is the cause of fan project failings, when people don't treat their work seriously. When they joke "Oh it doesn't matter if it isn't good/doesn't come out/isn't X, it's just a fan thing. Who cares?

EDIT EDIT: Clarifying on the poo poo that happened from one Anon on /vp/, also because I always like to find things out for myself, not just read them.

Such is Life.

Onmi fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Mar 26, 2017

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

In other news btw, here's a dropbox filled with cut Sage designs.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/g0exdjc1rdlkg4z/AACeECGygTRaOrpumZupbF4sa/Not%20Implemented?dl=0

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I feel like people say "this time you're the rival" every new pokemon game these days.

They do. Because they're idiots. Their mind is fixated on Green/Blue always being one step ahead in the games. Compounded with their stupid memories as a child of not hitting the Pokemon Center once they hit Cerulean and Lavender and go "OH MY GOD THIS MOTHERFUCKER JUST AMBUSHES YOU AFTER YOU'VE GONE THROUGH HELL!" with none of them wanting to admit they were dumb children who missed the obvious rest points.

I mean, Silver was never classified as being better than you, he was classified as being a dick. And your protagonist is not a dick to anyone around them. It takes them a long time to realize the games have just changed to not be providing you with an antagonistic force, but a supporting force.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Gridlocked posted:

Wait so Omega/Alpha aren't just remakes they are an alternate time line of R/S?! SHIIIT

And specifically they take place 10 years before Sun/Moon On top of that The Anabel in Sun/Moon is not native to that universe, she is from the RSE universe. The only memory she retained was that she was defending the Battle Tower and then she was gone. Looker describes the concept of 'Fallers' people who aren't native to the current timeline who have appeared there. That is actually a theory regarding the Looker of ORAS. He is NOT the Looker of SuMo and XY, but the Looker of DPP and BW

And none of that is necessary to enjoy the gently caress out of Sun/Moon.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Malachite_Dragon posted:

I do not believe a goddamn word of any of that multiverse poo poo and am firmly convinced y'all are talking out your asses.

I'm being quite serious. I mean Episode Delta directly calls it into question, where Zinna Directly calls into question what if there exists a universe in which Mega Evolution does not exist. And this is literally the divergent point between timelines

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Randalor posted:

Considering the "Gamer girl" and "crossdressing gym leader" "jokes" they had earlier, I'm almost positive that this gym leader was made specifically as a fig leaf for all the sexist poo poo they put in.

"See! We're not sexist! We even have a woman who did a man's job!"

I actually think it's the other side of the horse shoe. They think they're being super progressive and open. It's the same as Pokemon Reborn. Don't play Pokemon Reborn.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

GeneX posted:

There's no "they", unless you mean the gender neutral singular pronoun; it's completely disconnected from anything else either thematically or narratively.

That leads me to believe one person just sort of came up with the gym and everything involved, everyone else gave it a cursory glance and were happy it looked relatively balanced, and it was implemented as-is.

It's just utterly jarring.

I don't make assumptions when it comes to fan game development because, having done it myself and been part of that stuff, I know how things can go. So I used "They" to imply either a single person or potentially more. Just from my own experiences with fan communities and development.

Vinylshadow posted:

I've heard horror stories about Reborn and played maybe fifteen minutes of it and wasn't impressed

Hard level caps and ridiculous battle gimmicks that take the different Terrain moves and run a marathon with 'em are the least of that game's problems

For heck's sake, can't we have a pokémon fangame that's relaxed and fun to play instead of constant angst, darkness and gritty realism?

Fangames could stand to take more notes from official games on story and presentation

I've seen stuff from all 16 episodes (Also Episodic Pokemon Game is bad juju) and it just gets worse. It is very much the case of "I believe I am being deep and meaningful and representative" and instead it just being... awful.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Oh were we talking about Zeta/Omicron? How about the fact that they have Ash Ketchum show up as a grunt for the villains and have him whine and moan about how much of a pathetic failure he is. How about having an NPC scream about how she was on her nuzlocke challenge and you've killed her Pokemon. It's Garbo.

Oh, fair talk to people who are going to place Pokemon like Pawniard and Gollet earlier in the game... adjust their evo levels. Their original Evo-Levels were as they were because you didn't have them for 90% of the game they debuted in, there was a deliberate level-curve there.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

DeafNote posted:

well we all know the best of them all was clearly Medabots

It's sad Medabots didn't catch on, so many games in japanese only.

Onmi fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Apr 19, 2017

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Schubalts posted:

Zeta somehow sounds even worse than Uranium.

At least we got the awesome GBA games. A full JRPG/Pokemon and a handheld Smash Bros clone, both with that sweet, sweet Medapart customization.

Except season 3. gently caress season 3.

The JRPG game is the main series, the picture I posted is from MR 9. I think the last game was Medarot Girls and then the studio making them closed down.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

It just gets me how bad the sprite work in this game is. I know it's a common problem in fan games because most fangames have the mind set of "Good Enough" and I've only met a few content creators who go "No, that's bugging the gently caress out of me, do it better." They're just so unclean.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Bydoless posted:

So I guess here's a draft of the intro post for the Pokemon Reborn LP.

The current draft right now is meant for an individual thread for the LP. DONGS here will be replaced in the following update by whatever the thread votes for.

When we reach the end of the then-current "episode" for Pokemon Reborn, I'll probably follow up with Pokemon Rejuvenation in the same thread since Pokemon Reborn is unfinished and Rejuvenation is directly inspired by it.

This will also be posted in the LP Sandcastle thread, and in fact I'd recommend posting there instead of here in response to this test post for reasons.

Yes, everyone must suffer, all must doom and despair.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

also slight update to earlier chat. Clovers league is now done, just a few days ago.

I will say, the main difference between your Clovers and your Reborns? Clover isn't pretending it's anything but a meme-hack. it's like the Goon-produced FF6 hack, it's entirely an in-joke to a bunch of goofs.

Reborn takes itself 100% seriously.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Endorph posted:

on the flipside, clover is insanely racist, while i have yet to see anything racist in reborn, so point to it.

No Reborn just has one of the gym leaders pretend to be gay to protect the feelings of another gym leader and when it's revealed the latter throws themself off a waterfall.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

PMush Perfect posted:

"Girlfriend is a lobotomized computer brain". Front Mission.

Yeah but everything in Front Mission is hosed up. It works there

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Proud Rat Mom posted:

Is it wrong to think despite fan game jankiness and amateur writing, uranium is ok? Like the rest of you are treating it like it's super terrible but it seems pretty competent to me.

Okay, as someone with experience seeing a lot of lovely pokemon fangames, let me say this. If you grade on a curve, then Uranium is merely average. But I don't grade on a curve. The reason there are so many lovely fan projects is because so many people want to be graded on a curve, they want to put in less effort because "Well it's just a fan game, who cares." People on SA are guilty of this too, it's a common feeling.

As others have said, the hard work of what makes the system work has already been done by Pokemon Essentials, and from there we have to judge it by its original assets.

The sprites are bad, the Pokemon are poorly designed, the writing is horrible, the difficulty curve is weird, the music is bad, the only competent things in Uranium were the things inherited by being Pokemon. That's not even getting into my dislike of the layouts of the Routes themselves, the incompetent layouts of the towns and the overall amateurish game design without real understanding.

Add in that the game only looks tolerable because OFS is cheating and devoted time to breeding a super team... and what's the competent part? It functions? Plenty of fangames function. It's complete? That's not something you get rewarded for. And the worst thing is, the dev team is arrogant and thinks they did better than Gamefreak.

So no, I'm exactly as hard on Uranium as I need to be. gently caress Uranium.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Tenebrais posted:

The real question is why this fangame had a deadline, after nine years.

I can actually answer this. To try to push the lazy shits in developmental to doing their job.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Xelkelvos posted:

It looked ugly as sin (also, it's a railgun, I think) with its mustache and beard. I Also didn't like how Alolan Muk looked, but given the premise for the design and limitations in animation, I can sorta give it a pass.

Alolan Sandslash was a cool concept and design. It just had an unfortunate typing among other things.

vEdit: Yeah. The Black+color aethestic is full edgy teen stuff, but by people in their 20s and up, it goes into cringey and sad territory. If it kept going into self aware territory, it might be merely cringey but amusing. But alas, some people just don't grow up.

http://www.bogleech.com/pokemon/p088agrimer.html

You have horrible opinions about my bestboy Muk

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

iospace posted:

Wasn't everyone excited to see how Clover was going to turn out then it turned out to be exactly what people should have expected it to be?

No, everyones excited for Sage. Which is a serious attempt at making a Pokemon fangame, Clover is, from its own thread description.

quote:

Pokémon Clover is a Q U A L I T Y/IRONICALLY lovely romhack featuring a brand new region called Fochun, as well as 386 fresh new fakemon that puts those other ghetto Pokemon fan games to shame! Clover has been an ongoing project for a team comprised together from anonymous posters on the /vp/ board. Started in 2014 as a janky FireRed rehash, it has since become a complete ROM overhaul featuring new maps, characters, story, and a completely original soundtrack.

The game updated in May 31 and contains a lot of new features; read the changelog for information.

People are actually interested in Sage

http://capx.wikia.com/wiki/About

quote:

Pokémon Sage is a Pokémon fan-game, created by the anonymous members of 4chan's /vp/ board. It began as the project CAPX, which stands for "Create a Pokédex", and was simply a collaborative attempt to design a set of new Pokémon (fakemon). It was later decided to create a fan-game that used them, and thus /vp/ Makes A Game (also known as Gen /vp/) began. This was later renamed to Pokémon Sage.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Dienes posted:

Sage has the best fakemon of all the fan games. Shame the rest is so off.

However bad you think Clover is, it's worse. I'm talking KKK themed pokemon.

I have negative interest in Clover. I find poo poo like it at Snakewood to just be complete garbage and not at all worth the brain cells. I play enough awful Pokemon fangames to dedicate an iota of thought to those.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Sage only has a Demo out, and it's pretty fine. Fun for what it is, isn't all that complete.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

EclecticTastes posted:

I'm not one to get overly serious here on the internet comedy forums, but I agree completely, there's a great deal of value to calling out lovely stuff like Clover and holding it up as an example of unacceptable behavior, given that the last few years have shown what happens when "ironic" racists, et al are allowed to go without serious criticism for too long. Even ignoring the more obvious, broader horrible poo poo in the world fueled in part by the "just a joke" brigade, it's just getting unbearably toxic to be in any sort of nerdy community because some people think just because they can claim they "don't mean it" (a claim that is usually a lie, regardless), that they can say whatever the gently caress they want.

That having been said, I do think we're maybe running the topic of Pokemon Clover a tad into the ground, given that this thread is for Pokemon Uranium, which is just poorly-designed and alternates between insufferably edgy and mind-numbingly banal.

I think it's the mind-numbingly banal hitting now. What's there to talk about beyond "Game's boring and dumb." We've already shat over all the bad designs, which are bad in the way someone who doesn't know what Pokemon is designing a Pokemon looks like. The plot, for what exists of it, is vapid and pointless. It's just a nothing fan game.

And really, I think that's Uranium's biggest sin, above anything else, once the initial "This is lovely." phase passes, it has nothing. It's just a game of nothing that you can't possibly begin to care about. Like.... I can talk about Snakewood forever because it's not just schlock garbage but it tries to hide behind "Oh, it's only garbage for parody." I can talk about Glazed 'The game that never loving ends' because at one point after having beaten two Pokemon leagues you get dropped into a sewer by a guy with a Kyogre (While the plot is about how capturing legendaries fucks up the world) who calls you a bitch loser and is loving the gym leader. You never fight him. That thinks a fitting end to a rival character arc who's been hounding you for 3 loving regions is to go "LOL I'm gonna go to Hoenn, because it's not in the game so you can't follow me!"

gently caress I'm mad at Glazed....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

EclecticTastes posted:

This is, once again, a common thread in fan works in general, is just going "here's this reference to popular media, apropos of nothing and with no accompanying commentary". I don't recall the context of where or, more importantly, why, but I remember back in, like, ninth grade, I read someone's "fan fiction" that was, I poo poo you not, just Monty Python and the Holy Grail with all the characters replaced with the cast of Super Smash Bros. Melee, with absolutely no change to any of the actual scenes outside of the names. It was exactly as pointless and banal as it sounds.

I'm guilty of this myself. A character in my fangame is similar enough to Elzam von Branstein that I made his battle theme Trombe basically as a joke that I (And only I) find funny. Of course, that's in a separate version of the patch as adding music is the last thing I intend to do anyway. I think everyone is like that really. You gotta have one pet joke.

• Locked thread