Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Not every setting needs to be grimdark gritty. Pokemon does not need grimdark gritty.
Friendly reminder pokémon has vengeful dolls, trees, haunted tree stumps, candles that drain your life energy, cacti that follow travelers in the desert, waiting for them to tire before closing in, literal eldritch abominations and several other similar horrors

If you look past the surface of the games, there's a lot of dark stuff going on

Especially in ORAS and SuMo

VolticSurge posted:

Are there any good Pokeman fanfics? Sorry for bringing the subject up,but anything's more interesting to talk about than Uranium.
I hear Ashes of the Past by Saphroneth is pretty good and holds the most reviews, follows and favorites on Pokémon's FFN section

Not my cup of tea since it's a Peggy Sue fix-fic that is basically covering the entire Pokémon Anime
It's over 200 chapters and has gotten to the Battle Frontier

Vinylshadow fucked around with this message at 08:51 on Mar 28, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

I'm just glad we got a definite timeline for the core series games now

RBY/FRLG - RSE/ORAS
+3 years pass
GSC/HGSS - DPPt
+3 years pass
BW
+2 years pass
BW2 - X&Y
+2 years pass
SuMo

Red is eleven in RBY/FRLG
Wally is ten in ORAS
May/Brendan are twelve in ORAS

...Yeah, I'm not making that up

SirPhoebos posted:

The first time you use Fly you get shot down by F-35s.
But what if you're flying on a dragon?

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Redeye Flight posted:

That looks Ace Combat as gently caress.
Still waiting for the Mad Max-inspired racing game

mandatory lesbian posted:

thank you for not making up that the girl who looks 12 is in fact 12
Hm...true
The teeth look like a few have fallen out
Perhaps she just had her braces removed?
Or is in dire need of them...

Vinylshadow fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Mar 31, 2017

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Genocyber posted:

Do not make fun of May's chipmunk heritage.
Wouldn't dream of it

Not a lot of art for May as a chipmunk; can't imagine why

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

I didn't link the music last update because it's weird here.

PU-Anthell.ogg

This is the music for Anthell and for Route 10. It's a remix of something.
It's a remix of Mt. Pyre/Shoal Cave from RSE

Vinylshadow fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Mar 31, 2017

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Johnny Joestar posted:

every single one of my interactions with uranium has always left me with a sense of 'the creators of this game are incredibly unorganized and confused about everything they do' and this is no different
Nine years in development and it shows

loquacius posted:

This thing's sprite kind of makes it look like it's falling off of a very fancy tree stump
"I must go, my soaps need me."

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

KataraniSword posted:

Okay but which timeline is the one where the Hero of Time is defeated?
The one where Gold defeats Red at Mt. Silver, which leads into the era of decline where you take control of a pokemon once humans go extinct

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

PMush Perfect posted:

Teenage me playing Sapphire thought Absol was so cool, but since its SpAtk was garbage, I just couldn't get one to work.
I just gave Gen III Absol moves like Shadow Ball and Return and swept through the rest of the game

Then there's the terror that is Slaking's Silk Scarf Hyper Beam

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Vorpal Cat posted:

Plus steel is just a really cool idea for a type and gave them an excuse to create things like metagross the living supercomputer Pokemon down the line.

"Hold on while I parallel-park my supercomputer."

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Gologle posted:

This is so amazing. I don't care what you Pokefreaks post about types or whatever, I'm loving the art in this thread.
It's certainly one of the better aspects of the fandom (of course, that also depends on how far down you look, because like with any fandom, there's plenty of "HAND ME THE BRAIN BLEACH!" moments)

And like with many series, the fanart gives you the illusion it's a good and you'll probably enjoy it because unlike the game, the art had more effort put in during six hours than the nine years Uranium was in development.

Eh, different strokes for different folks and all that.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Meanwhile, Pajay is basically "Let's slap a helmet on Ho-Oh and call it a day."

Truly, the pinnacle of creativity.

Still waiting for the game that features nothing but fusions between creatures from different Nintendo properties

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Ryushikaze posted:

Wow, I'm surprised no one commented on this Stone Ocean reference yet.

Now I'm imagining all the JoJos as Pokemon trainers.
Why imagine when it's a reality?

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Gridlocked posted:

N isn't even a loving playable let alone likable character gently caress
We cannot all be perfect.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Dinosaurmageddon posted:

Some of these designs are simply atrocious. They're ridiculous! For example, I got really carried away thinkin' super-deep thoughts about Linkite, man:

Like, what if it's all just pokéballs substituting Dittos all the way down? :aaaaa::byobear::aaaaa:
So what if a Ditto turns into a Linkite, and is then Copied by Uranium's Ditto clone, who is then captured by a trainer...that's at least three separate poké balls it'll have to come out of once it's called into battle and I have no idea where I was going with that

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Ah yes, a 4x Effective Against Everything move complete with STAB and on a pokémon with decent enough speed (even more so with a Choice Scarf)

What is this "Balance" of which you speak?

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Poked my head back into Uranium fanart and...

Heh - the Gijinka scene is alive and well, even for fangames, it seems

Still waiting for a Rock-type Eeveelution though

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

HardDiskD posted:

Nucleon is just kinda bland, but it is still way better than the rest of the nuclear Pokemon, which isn't saying much. I would have preferred if the green bits were stuck to it and if didn't have the third eye.
Something like this perhaps?

He looks quite done with everything

Not enough art for Theo either

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

PMush Perfect posted:

If nothing else, the Streisand Effect is going to make very sure it doesn't die quietly. (See: AM2R)
Ah yes, now there's what I'd consider the definitive example of a fangame.

The amount of work and detail that went into that game is insane and was a blast to play through.

A pokémon fangame with that amount of effort put into it would be legendary.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Some Numbers posted:

I disagree, because the word you're looking for is "Exterminate."
Not if we're talkin' about the Time Surgeon

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Onmi posted:

I actually think it's the other side of the horse shoe. They think they're being super progressive and open. It's the same as Pokemon Reborn. Don't play Pokemon Reborn.
I've heard horror stories about Reborn and played maybe fifteen minutes of it and wasn't impressed

Hard level caps and ridiculous battle gimmicks that take the different Terrain moves and run a marathon with 'em are the least of that game's problems

For heck's sake, can't we have a pokémon fangame that's relaxed and fun to play instead of constant angst, darkness and gritty realism?

Fangames could stand to take more notes from official games on story and presentation

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Dramsama should absolutely have been DramaLlama instead.
But we already have a dramallama

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Carbon dioxide posted:

Well, normally every ship is referred to by its crew as a 'she'. But Titanice can also be a male so that's confusing.
So they missed an opportunity to make a female-only species?
Pity

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Schubalts posted:

How could they NOT know what it looks like? It's loving WATER, just swim under it or something. :psyduck:
Well, like most Icebergs, most of the mass would be under the water

Through whatever bizarre logic powers pokémon, I wouldn't be surprised if the small bit we CAN see is in fact the eyelash of some intergalactic demon poking through a dimensional rift

There is in fact a small crew trapped on the ship, shrunk down by a mysterious power

The pokémon's cry is their screams of terror

...nah, that'd be stupid

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Dirk the Average posted:

Which means that it's canon, right?
Well, stupider
I mean, if you think it makes the pokemon better, then by all means, feel free to treat is canon, especially if there's nothing in the game that contradicts it...

-
Shame that fangames that take place nowhere near (presumably, anyway) the other regions, yet see fit to reuse old pokemon don't at the very least add some regional variety to their designs or at least use different themes for them

etc, etc

But, as we all know, that'd take time, brains and effort to do, which a fair chunk of fangame creators tend to lack, which leads to half-assed execution and more often than not, a dead fangame

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Johnny Joestar posted:

i love all the pokemon cross-breeding variants that people draw and was kind of glad that alolan forms are at least partially there. hopefully they don't just drop the regional variant stuff in whatever future games they do

(they will, probably)
Given how often each game introduced and subsequently discarded a gimmick, odds are we're not getting regional variants next game, especially if it's a Gen IV Remake

HG/SS had one of the best gimmicks in being able to toggle the ability to run which was never used again, forcing you to hold B everywhere you went (Somewhat mitigated by Kalos' rollarblades though)

Heck, even Alola's ability to dress yourself pales next to X/Y's selection

Ryushikaze posted:

No no. I said Jojos as Pokemon trainers. This is clearly Pokemon as JoJos.

I feel so sorry for that Cherubi

There's a distressing lack of such pictures

Vinylshadow fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Apr 11, 2017

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Kurieg posted:

My Fursona's party sprite is just a barely modified Ampharos.

Also I saw Red just hanging out there next to the drain punch TM?
Did you mean the Eviolite picture?

It's just a Fisherman, who has a hat similar to Red

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

It's weird to run into an evolved thing in the wild before its unevovled form.
I thought that was a weird Snowboarder trainer for a second

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Nine freakin' years - you'd think that'd have been enough time to fix sprite proportions so they don't look like complete and utter crap
Theo's revamp looks awful, although I do prefer his tweaked VS sprite over his original

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Nihilarian posted:

Luxelong looks like a dragon corgi
That'd actually be a pretty awesome design if done right

Uranium's version kinda looks like a younger Drampa

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Tired Moritz posted:

I love METALLYNXMON.
I read that as

I don't know if that's better or worse

But I could definitely see it in a band of some description
Drums, I suspect

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

EclecticTastes posted:

This actually taught me something, I thought Last Resort required you to exhaust the PP of all the Pokemon's other moves, based on the official wording. This makes it sound a lot better.

You're thinking of "Trump Card" which gets more power the less PP it has
4+ - 40
3 - 50
2 - 60
1 - 80
0 - 200

Then there's Power Trip/Stored Power that rely on how many positive Stat buffs you have, which caps out at 860 if all seven (Sp/ATK, Sp/DEF, Speed, Evasion, Accuracy) stats are +6 stages

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

TWIST FIST posted:

The 2v2 battles are such a mess
The sprite sizes are all over the place and are more often than not placed far too high on the screen

Shame they didn't pay attention when copying Black and White

Just count yourself lucky they didn't go for Triple Battles

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Tired Moritz posted:

nah I just want to know which pokemon represented my true self

it better be alolan meowth
I read that as Nolan Meowth and am not entirely sure what to feel at the moment.

PMush Perfect posted:

Mine's Glameow, because I'm pretty but useless and it's only a matter of time before I'm fat and useless.
Anyone who has played Diamond/Pearl/Platinum probably fears Purugly on the same level as Whitney's Miltank

That drat thing is a Nuzlocke Killer

-
As for my spirit pokémon...

Probably some Dark type - Absol or Umbreon

Lonely and misunderstood

Here's a challenge: What's your Uranium Spirit Pokémon?

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

GeneX posted:

Ah, the pokemon game where everything is poison type
Would every move have a chance to poison?

Magikarp used Splash!
The opponent was badly poisoned!

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Monicro posted:

Guys, Crookaburra. Crookaburra you guys
Crookaburra sits in the old gun tree, sniping every meme that he can see

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

EclecticTastes posted:

Golden Fist makes even less sense than Pay Day. Like, it's strange enough trying to figure out where Meowth gets all that money from and why they don't just give it to you up-front, but now you got a Pokemon that punches dudes and money falls out of them, like all Pokemon are secretly cash pinatas.

:psyduck:
It operates on Scott Pilgrim logic

Gotta get your bus fare somehow, after all and sometimes there's no army of evil exes to turn into dosh

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

corn on the cop posted:

This is the worst poo poo I've ever seen.
Really? It's a rocket-powered power-armored cheetah

All it needs is some laser cannons and it'd be the perfect Zoid

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Hazma is clearly an offshoot of Linkite/Chainites that went off and started up a colony where they Edged themselves to insanity and came back as Top Boys from the experience

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Hammurabi posted:

So Theo has Super Cancer and/or like an hour to live now right?
He's forced to wear Lord of Titles Dick Solomon's Super Suit for the rest of his life to keep from dying

And they never made it more mobile so he's basically cosplaying as a glacier

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

CzarChasm posted:

You know, with Theo's exposure to the radiation without a hazmat suit or even a gas mask, my guess is that he's caught a new pokemon. The last one he'll ever get.

I mean, as long as this thread and game are discussing edgelord fakemon, might as well go for anthropomorphic cancer. Though I doubt I'm the first to make one up. Gen1 moves cause that's the last one I played.
And it always has a Toxic-style Status that cannot be cured which persists outside of battle, which means you'll have to constantly heal it as you travel the region

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Splendid, we've reached the League
I'm sure it won't be an utter mess and an unfun nightmare/chore if you're playing the game legit without making it easier for yourself
Hah

http://yogurtleague.deviantart.com/
drat, they almost make the game look good

• Locked thread