Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008
Yeah I don't think you guys get how much of a big-loving deal impeachment would be. It's literally never happened before. The GOP/Pence would be forced to govern more towards the center because any scenario where impeachment happens is one where Dem's are likely poised to make/ have already made significant congressional gains and have an incredibly fired up base that just watched history happen and feel that it was in part due to their actions (protesting, activism, etc. Whether or not this would be true, people would sure as hell feel like it was), as well as a more engaged public generally. Meanwhile the GOP base is either depressed or in full-on civil war mode or both.

No one is saying Pence doesn't want to be a right wing ideologue, but a situation where his running mate just became the first sitting president to be fully impeached would pretty much force him to govern as generic republican.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008

xeria posted:

I think it's less "this has never happened before, who knows what will happen!?" and more "BECAUSE this has never happened before (if an actual conviction happens), probably poo poo will be so hosed up in general coming out of the impeachment/conviction/removal from office that Pence isn't going to be in a position to freely impose his dominionist will on the American people. If the government reaches the point where even the GOP is generally like, poo poo we gotta get Trump out of here before he does something even worse, all the stuff up to that 'even worse' threshold would probably need to be cleaned up before Pence could start swinging for the gay conversion camp fences, if he wanted to, and by that point it's probably election season again anyway.

Yeah, the circumstances that would lead to a Trump impeachment are also circumstances that would likely lead to forcing Pence to reign himself in. A scenario where Trump, and by association Pence, is popular enough to let Pence go full throttle with eradicating sin from the land, and where Trump gets impeached doesn't make a lot of sense.

To put it another way, I don't see impeachment happening, evidence be damned, unless Trump falls below 30% for a sustained period of time, and in that case the GOP is in survival mode, not ideologue mode.

That being said, I don't think it's gonna happen, but I didn't think he was gonna be president so welp.

• Locked thread