Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Quidam Viator
Jan 24, 2001

ask me about how voting Donald Trump was worth 400k and counting dead.
In my opinion, we have to frame things in a longer time scale, and get our heads out of thinking a status quo ante will be restored again. If I were to phrase the question, I would ask, "Which combination of Trump, Pence, or other players most completely annihilates the ability of all capitalists, corporatists, conservatives, neo-nazis, fascists, and fundamentalists to ever express their ideas in public again without shame?"

For me, the functional word is "shame". Americans no longer feel shame as a stabilizing emotion that maintains mores because we have conveniently split into our own ingroups and outgroups. That means we need a seriously strong lever, an event or set of events that so fundamentally destabilizes the split reality we're dying in that it's really, urgently no longer sustainable. Getting Trump and the GOP into all three branches is the first, important foray into destroying all political parties, especially the Democrats.

What must die is this idea that "conservatism can never fail, but can only be failed." Optimally, what I hope to see within the next six months is Trump and McConnell managing to stall the Rosensten/Mueller investigations long enough to make it until the world real estate and financial bubble part two bursts. I Need a fully GOP government to face a full Great-Depression^2 economic collapse in the middle of their terms. I need them to institute policies and have them make everything worse. I voted for Trump so he'd rip the loving heart out of the idea that businessmen make good presidents. Good riddance to that loving meme.

Pence is not better than Trump, but serves as a necessary second phase, should he manage to survive. The other idea we need the GOP to destroy for us is the idea of fundamentalist virtue. Pence is perfectly positioned to do poo poo on social and religious issues that could generate real horror, real fight-for-your-life terror in the United States. President Pence with a GOP Congress is a completely different story than Trump: I could see him instantly bringing in every ugly old name from the Bush presidencies, if they're still alive, and arranging a quite-functional executive branch focused entirely upon loving up the basic liberties of Americans based on fundamentalist Christian theology.

But Pence and Trump are only the catalysts for disgust. We should be grateful for both of them because what they do is enable the Democratic Party in the US to show its craven worthlessness in the face of serious national danger. There is no "principled party", and we're one national power outage, one automated stock market collapse, one single day-long internet outage from people going loving Lord of the Flies. In 2015, I predicted that the Democrats were hosed because they were just blindly counting on demographics to keep them in the presidency while sacrificing the congress. I said all it took was one loss, and all their intent to stabilize and grow America would be hosed.

Let us never forget that disgust is the fundamental emotion that formed civilization, not some fruity thing like love. Our entire political system has outlived its usefulness. The ideas of liberalism and conservatism are both dead ends. Neither communism nor capitalism has any sustainable future.

If Trump just farts out of the presidency and does not manage to preside over a global financial collapse, then he's not worth much. He's just a lovely, infantile rear end in a top hat who did dumb poo poo. If he DOES stay in office long enough for the bubble to pop and presides over the collapse, he is of IMMENSE utility. If that happens, and THEN Pence comes in with draconian social reforms on top of the financial collapse, then both of them have served their purpose, and it's hard to call one better than the other.

And that purpose, of course, is to put the Democrats in the same position and have them gently caress it up too. We need a series of undeniable, life-ruining fuckups to even have a CHANCE at the American people DOING SOMETHING DIFFERENT, because as long as we have our fuckin burrito wrappers, our instagram, and the rest, we will remain too pacified to take action so extreme it's never been attempted before.

Of course, I'm that rear end in a top hat. To me, radical, whole-society change is the only thing worth thinking about, and to get there, we all have to go through some serious destabilization.

And in the end, isn't this what we all would want? Trump and Pence disgraced along with everyone who voted for them, a deep enough cultural wound to cauterize the ugly stump of nativism, and then a follow-up failure by the Democratic pretenders? Clean slates are hard to come by, but we need one in the next 30-50 years, or we're all dead.

Stability and consistency are our mortal enemies as a human race and as a living planet. Change must accelerate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quidam Viator
Jan 24, 2001

Grouchio posted:

Your criticisms seem to be on point, but! It appears to me that this fight for correction has driven you a little insane, down a slippery slope that I would have crossed if I had still chosen to rant daily against the election of Trump. You can be as cynical as you want but I know for a fact that there is a point where someone's line is crossed, and for many Americans the events of this administration have made them cross that line. Somethin's gotta give, Somethin's gotta give. We wouldn't be human otherwise.

That's my take I suppose.

Then essentially, we agree on what's important: we both believe there is a line, we both believe it must be crossed, and we feel like being truly human means sensing that and making the change that allows us to keep on going.

I'm particularly interested in what exactly people think is "insanity" any more, because it's what I get tagged with here when I post, either that or suggestions that I kill myself. I have never ranted against Trump, only for his election, for these effects I predicted. It's the exact opposite of cynicism. A cynic would simply tell you to stick with the status quo, because it's pointless, and evil will always consume us. I believe I am the most radical of optimists. I believe we can still make enough change not to go extinct.

But when Donald J. Trump is President of the United States, Erdogan is ordering American citizens to be beaten on US soil, and we literally have two totally separate, co-existing, and contradicting sets of facts and news in this country, what line am I crossing that brands ME as insane, in this world of insanity?

You're a bank-shot impeachment away from President Pence, and somehow, this talk is what gets a person labeled insane? I share a country with 63 million people who voted for this. Are they sane?

Quidam Viator
Jan 24, 2001

EDIT: You know what, I changed my mind, it's pointless to say what I have to say here. Forgive the post, please.

Quidam Viator fucked around with this message at 01:50 on May 23, 2017

• Locked thread