Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

Whitlam posted:

It depends if you're speaking globally or domestically. Domestically, you'd have to think Trump is (marginally) better, at least on a civil rights front - he's less likely to fervently persecute the LGBTI community, ban abortions, etc. like Pence would.

However, globally speaking, I trust Pence not to get me nuked infinitely more than I trust Trump.

Even if Pence does lovely things to civil rights and institutions in the US, they can be undone. You can't un-nuke somewhere, or un-start a war with a close ally, which I'd be pretty close to putting money on being an eventual outcome of a Trump presidency.

I don't think anyone is arguing Pence would be good, but I trust him way more not to get me killed over some stupid perceived slight, or something dumb, so I'll have to go with the option where I'm less likely to die.

I don't know that we'd get much more of a swing at LGBT+ rights in the next four years beyond that First Amendment Defense Act (which is undoubtedly coming out of a Republican congress regardless of which fool is president) even if Pence is president, or at least the 'LGB' part of that equation. The sense I get is that the anti-gay rhetoric coming out of federal Republican leadership is more lip service than "thing they really, really, really want to do" (besides, again, FADA), and they're much more focused right now on loving over everyone but the white rich in general and MUSLIMS/IMMIGRANTS in particular. The popular tide in the US has tilted in favor of mostly leaving the LGBT+ community alone because everything else is on fire, and I don't think Pence would have enough 'mandate' to push hard for anything firmer than FADA by himself. (And if he takes office because congress impeached Trump and had him removed, there's probably gonna be a bajillion other things falling the gently caress apart in the immediate future for him to demand a hard 'gently caress the Gays' stance from the federal govt.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

Helsing posted:

"This is a totally unprecedented situation, therefore I can predict the outcome of this situation with total certainty" :downs:

I think it's less "this has never happened before, who knows what will happen!?" and more "BECAUSE this has never happened before (if an actual conviction happens), probably poo poo will be so hosed up in general coming out of the impeachment/conviction/removal from office that Pence isn't going to be in a position to freely impose his dominionist will on the American people. If the government reaches the point where even the GOP is generally like, poo poo we gotta get Trump out of here before he does something even worse, all the stuff up to that 'even worse' threshold would probably need to be cleaned up before Pence could start swinging for the gay conversion camp fences, if he wanted to, and by that point it's probably election season again anyway.

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

Main Paineframe posted:

It's a ridiculous fear to begin with. A president can't refuse to leave office. The only way that could happen is if he carries out a literal military coup.

Trump doesn't seem like the type to be overly concerned with what a president can and can't do.

• Locked thread