Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I'm still not really sure whether it would be good to remove Trump, even if you ignore the repercussions of the impeachment itself (i.e. just assume replacing him with Pence/Ryan). As more time passes, I'm becoming increasingly convinced that Trump is very unlikely to do anything completely insane (and if he attempted he would probably be stopped or at least hamstrung, like with his Muslim Ban thing). I'm concerned that a Pence presidency would be far more "focused" and accomplish more than a Trump presidency. In a way, I think that all of the absurd things Trump does might help to distract Republicans from actually pushing for specific legislation. While one could argue that Trump's antics ruin the reputation of the President of the United States, I'm not sure if there are actually any tangible downsides to that aside from peoples' sensibilities being offended.

It's still a little too early to tell just how dangerous Trump is, but the more time that passes without him pulling any stunts with actual repercussions, the more I feel there might not be much to gain from removing him.

edit: I also worry that removing Trump would greatly embolden and energize anti-establishment Republicans, which is a really dangerous road to go down (since "anti-establishment Republican" usually translates to "pretty much fascist").

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread