Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheJayOfSpade
Jun 21, 2012

The Thread was destroyed,
but hey, what can you do?
Ow, stupid apple. - Sir Isaac Newton

In the center of the world is a tower. The tower stretches forever into the Heavens above and forever into the depths below. Attached to the tower is the city of Hekseville. This is where a young girl with no memories and mysterious powers wakes up.

Gravity Rush was a game released for the Playstation Vita near the system's launch. It's a 3D open world action game where you control Kat, a girl who can control gravity. This allows her to do amazing things, like run on walls and fall into the sky, and even have a cat! The world of Gravity Rush was inspired by Eastern and Western comics, with a distinct French flair. The world is cel-shaded but with a darker color palette that gives the game a unique and beautiful look.

I'm TheJayOfSpade, I'll be playing the PS4 Remastered version of the game. Falling beside me will be my buddy Chorpsaway. We're both fans of the game, and I'll be completing all the challenges and finding all the collectibles.

I don't want to spoil anything for anyone, so let's not discuss the second game, even in spoiler tags.

TheJayOfSpade fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Oct 9, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
Good LP. I'd never heard of this game but it's stylish and it seems to have a good mix of intrigue and humor. You guys do a good job of commentating without overwhelming what's going on in the game.

TheJayOfSpade
Jun 21, 2012

Kat is back, in episode two!

TheJayOfSpade fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Mar 2, 2017

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
I've heard of this game. I'll make a note to watch this soon.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
- Huh. No budget for dubbing the voices into English.
- That was a pretty clever trick by Alias, it sounded just enough like a well-meaning-if-questionable plan by Syd.
- This place is getting stranger, and that's saying something for a game which started out as strange as this.

ChorpSaway
Oct 9, 2012

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

- Huh. No budget for dubbing the voices into English.

The game uses a fake language, so it's just in keeping with the style. It's got some French influence to it, probably to go along with the French artistic influence in the game proper, but it's not in a particular language.

TheJayOfSpade
Jun 21, 2012

I feel like there's a rift between me and you.

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015
If you get Gravity Rush 2 does this game still come with it? Or was that just a limited time thing.
Thinking of trying it out for myself.

TheJayOfSpade
Jun 21, 2012

Item Getter posted:

If you get Gravity Rush 2 does this game still come with it? Or was that just a limited time thing.
Thinking of trying it out for myself.

Not sure if that was ever a thing, unless that was some sort of special edition I didn't see. I pre-ordered the game and all I got was an extra costume and a soundtrack download.

TheJayOfSpade
Jun 21, 2012

Stay tuned, later this week we'll be seeing the first side mission for the game!

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

drat, some of the houses in that red light district looked like typical Amsterdam houses. They did their research.

TheJayOfSpade
Jun 21, 2012

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015

TheJayOfSpade posted:

Not sure if that was ever a thing, unless that was some sort of special edition I didn't see. I pre-ordered the game and all I got was an extra costume and a soundtrack download.

I must be getting it confused with the remaster being announced at the same time as 2. Since other games have done similar things.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
This looks like a lot of fun? Like it's a pretty unique conceit and it seems like they pulled it off pretty well

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
:haw: It was great when Kat found the fourth page of the manuscript and was disappointed that it wasn't more erotica. FEDIT: Even better was that it wasn't actually erotica at all!

NHO
Jun 25, 2013

Why Kat still talking to those two?

TheJayOfSpade
Jun 21, 2012

Just finished uploading, sorry that it's late!

TheJayOfSpade
Jun 21, 2012

NHO posted:

Why Kat still talking to those two?

Look buddy, Kat is our friend!

WFGuy
Feb 18, 2011

Press X to jump, then press X again!
Toilet Rascal
Kat is clearly endlessly optimistic and wants to see the best in people, despite how often they spite her for nothing, or take advantage of her, or mind-control her into a magma wall, or make terrible puns.

TheJayOfSpade
Jun 21, 2012

We should be back on track next week with box a main episode and a side episode!

TheJayOfSpade
Jun 21, 2012

Gravity is back and so is Alias!

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
This game doesn't seem to have all that much content in one area before it loses interest and shunts you to a new area.

TheJayOfSpade
Jun 21, 2012

This game doesn't seem to have all that much content in one area before it loses interest and shunts you to a new area.

There's actually some score challenges in each area, but I'll show those off later. The first half of the game really is all about finding the new parts of the town.

TheJayOfSpade
Jun 21, 2012

We go for the gold in the newest Gravity Rush!

TheJayOfSpade fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Apr 6, 2017

Sel Nar
Dec 19, 2013

Finally had the time to sit down and marathon the entire LP so far.

I'm suddenly sad that this game never blipped onto my radar, because I am sincerely impressed by the details of the game.

The artstyle's been gushed over constantly already, and the closest my woefully inadequate sensibilities can describe it as is like the developers lifted everything from the pages of a Heavy Metal magazine, but took the time to excise the sex and (most) of the violence.

As for the characterization, well, It's quite entertaining seeing the world's least-coordinated superheroine be both awesome and entertaining. Pretty much all of Kat's animations and conversations show her to be pretty much a combination of adorable, and total dork.

Anyhow, you've already gushed over all those points, so I have no idea why I'm nattering like this.

Oh, wait, it's because this LP is showing off a hidden gem, and I'd love to see more.

TheJayOfSpade
Jun 21, 2012

Is everyone ready for more Gravity Rush?

TheJayOfSpade
Jun 21, 2012

One last race (Warning: There is no racing in this video)

TheJayOfSpade
Jun 21, 2012

Little Jimmy from The Family Circus leads us through this new episode of Gravity Rush

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
That's got to be at least 12 kilometers down. How can the air be the same down there and up top?

It's going to turn out that Raven is a good person and we've accidentally doing the whims of some bad guy. That wasn't even a question, because there really isn't much room for doubt. I don't know HOW we're helping the bad guy, because this place is so hella weird, but I am sure we must be. I don't really have any idea what is going on, and speculation just seems pointless.

TheJayOfSpade
Jun 21, 2012

Let's finish all the extra missions in Auldnoir.

ChorpSaway
Oct 9, 2012

It's going to turn out that Raven is a good person and we've accidentally doing the whims of some bad guy. That wasn't even a question, because there really isn't much room for doubt. I don't know HOW we're helping the bad guy, because this place is so hella weird, but I am sure we must be. I don't really have any idea what is going on, and speculation just seems pointless.

Yeah, the narrative arc isn't super strong, probably because Gravity Rush was envisioned as a series. There's some stuff being built up that will resolve by the end, though some pieces won't get their time to shine until we eventually get to Gravity Rush 2, which definitely understands that it needs to wrap up. But as for this game, restoring the town was Act 1, and we're just starting to see Act 2, where things are going to start tying together and resolving.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
This game has some good writing/localization.

TheJayOfSpade
Jun 21, 2012

Sorry for the wait

ChorpSaway
Oct 9, 2012

Glad to be back! May the 4th be with this episode.

TheJayOfSpade
Jun 21, 2012

Happy More Episode day

TheJayOfSpade
Jun 21, 2012

We're still doing this

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

I wonder where the story of this game is going.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
Have we heard of this Mayor D'Whatever before? Doesn't sound all that familiar.

TheJayOfSpade
Jun 21, 2012

I'll try to get these episodes out sooner, we're almost done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheJayOfSpade
Jun 21, 2012

We're still doing this!

• Locked thread