Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
i love this game.

i've only done a single playthrough, but i think i might jump back in after i finally stop dicking around and beat FFTA2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
my first runthrough was really highly rated, but i can't remember what i did to get that. it felt like i was struggling the whole time.

i think i rushed mining pretty quick for the exact purpose of getting sprinkler stuff so that i didn't have to spend my entire day watering.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
i started a new file, and went with wilderness farm because enemy mobs at night seemed like a good way to get materials you don't typically get above ground.

i'm about halfway through spring so far. finished a few bundles, and had a bumper crop of cauliflower come in. pretty close to building a coup, which is my next major goal. also close to level 40 in the mines, which i think is where iron comes up. hopefully i can start making sprinklers soon and actually have a layout to my farm beyond just a big clump of crops in front of my door.

gently caress, i love this game.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

In Training posted:

You got to level 40 halfway through spring O_o ??

yeah, it's pretty easy once you know the tricks. i hate watering, so i tried to get iron asap.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
i got my earliest tree ever, and will have apples for the fall. i'm hoping the 4k pays off, because i've never done a tree this early in the game... might've been a mistake, but it's fun to try a new strategy. just got jam maker too, so i can get that up and running in time to press some drat apples

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
every time i play this game i get irrationally mad that someone would throw rocks at linus' tent. what the gently caress man.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
spent a lot of time playing this today. i'm in mid-summer, and just had robin finish my barn. need to buy a cow so that i can start producing cheese. the final backpack is prob. my next goal.

i think i'm in pretty good shape to have the community center finished on time. once i have all of my capital improvements in place, i can make a priority to visit the traveling merchant twice a week. i'm fairly confident that's the easiest way to get a lot of that poo poo.

emoji posted:

I've gotten Facebook normies to buy this game, ftw.

i wonder if my mom would like it...

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
i just remembered the incredible, unparalleled fall feel of this game

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
my farms are invariably a disorganized pile of crops in front of my house

also, i'm pretty close to running out of wood. i don't want to clear-cut some of the public areas in the wilderness because that makes it look ugly, but i also extremely do not want to buy wood for 50g a log.

i guess i could just cool it on upgrades until the trees i planted come in. i wish i'd been replanting from the start. in the event i ever play this again i'd make that a priority.

is there still a site that takes a screenie of your whole farm?

edit: here it is in winter. i've got the forage seeds coming in. i doubled them up once with the crafting recipe, but i don't think i'm going to do that again after their next harvest. the lake in the middle of the wilderness farm is very nice for early game watering, and i think it just looks cool w/ where it is in my animal pen.

sector_corrector fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Feb 21, 2017

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
i want to buy a pig and name it chungus, but marnie has been staring at her loving microwave for the past 3 hours instead of manning the counter at her store

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Bill Barber posted:

Marnie's too busy loving the mayor while ignoring her dead sister's children as Shane's alcohol fueled depression spirals out of control.

life sucks in stardew valley unless you inherit a massive farm

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
i'm pretty psyched for spring to start. really the main stuff i'm missing in the bundles are nearly everything with the enchanter (i need to prioritize getting a rabbit) and 3 fish. fish are easy enough to catch if you know their schedules, and i'm not above looking it up. i'm pretty sure i'm primed to go into massive production mode for spring. the only thing holding me back are batteries, and i installed 10 lightning rods during the winter.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
my general trick to fishing is tapping the mouse button so that your bar never gets too much momentum. also, there are certain fish that are put into the game to essentially be uncatchable, so don't worry about that. and if you have a lake on your property it will have really lazy, easy fish by design, which is a good way to build the skill and get a larger catch bar.

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

Sorry for double post but my all pig strat is starting to pay off. Combined with the perk that sometimes doubles foraged items, I'm swimming in truffle oil. :D

do you have about milli on you right now?

sector_corrector fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Feb 21, 2017

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
i'm not sure what artisan product i'm going to pump for my second year. i would like to break a million for old grandad, though.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
i'm sort of mad at myself, because i forgot that the quality crops bundle was a thing, and i could've easily produced 5 golden parsnips in spring 1 if i'd thought about it. that would've given me a year one greenhouse. oh well, early year two is still pretty good. it'll let me make melons through all of fall and winter 2.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
halfway through winter i always get the desire to just sleep the remaining 13 days or w/e away, but i know that's time i could be spending getting money from the mine to get spring off to a good start ;(

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Bill Barber posted:

It's a total grind to unlock, but a couple of the rewards for the monster killing quests are quite good. The burglar ring (which is also the most annoying to get) gives you Iridium bars on the regular.

hmm, i've never really done those before. i don't have much winter left, but maybe i'll do that early in winter 2.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
do girlfriend / boyfriends still give you poo poo if you give gifts to other people? i want to start working on getting everyone up to 8 hearts, but i don't want to have to juggle hearts with leah/maru (haven't decided yet)

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Jenny Agutter posted:

thank you for all the fishing advice. I caught some more fish and now I really need to focus on upgrading my tools I think. got a chicken, it is currently grumpy and I hope my silo gets built before it starves because I can't figure out how else to feed it

in any season except winter, just let it out of the coop (the little chicken sized door). it will path towards and eat any grass it finds. i usually go inside and pet my animals before letting them out, because they move quickly and chasing 10 creatures around the barnyard to give them attention is irritating.

i also typically fence in my animal buildings and have a single exit that leads out to a grazing pasture.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
if you have a lot of animals you can get around building another silo by harvesting a shitload of hay, putting it into a chest, and then harvesting more hay to actually fill the silo. at that point you can leftclick to add hay back to the hopper. or just build a silo, because they look cool, and they're very cheap as far as buildings go.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
also, anyone ever bothered with a slime hutch? i feel like come fall i'll have a ton of money and resources and nothing major to do with them, but the payoffs aren't that great from what i remember...

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Ristolaz posted:

yeah, the slimes are cute but you just basically harvest a lot of slime. And you need the slime charmer ring from killing 1000 slimes

ah... i'll build one just to build it, but prob won't put that much effort into it.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
i had a bank of like 8 lightning rods for around 2 months that never produced anything, and after a storm at the end of spring 2 i got about 10 batteries at once. obviously many of those went into iridium sprinklers...

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
it took me five days, but all of my first summer crops are in place, plus i have a temporary (but ugly) greenhouse layout

also, i feel like a loser for thinking this, but i regret marrying leah

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
it's a cool feeling once you start making in a single day what you used to make in a month. anyway, getting the cellar put onto my house, which is new content for me. i'm in middle summer and my piece of poo poo rabbit still hasn't shed one of its feet, but i guess i got two more months for that to happen, or to hit the jackpot and have one show up in the traveller's inventory. just that and a pomegranate and i've restored the community center.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

In Training posted:

Once summer rolls around all Ill need is a truffle and a rabbit foot. Are rabbits feet relatively rare, like duck feathers?

yeah, the rabbits have to be either full happiness or close to it, and then it's also dependent on luck. i think the eels in the skull cave also drop them, but according to the wiki it's a .5% drop rate

so uh, i guess i can just spend winter killing 200 of them ;(

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
there's some dish that ups your luck. i feel like it has a star fruit in it? don't have the recipe to make it tho... might look into that.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
hopefully my fail-rear end rabbit drops one before then, but it's good to know i have the skull caves as a backup.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Ciaphas posted:

this is one of those games that I feel like I should be horrifyingly addicted to, then i sit down to play it and, er, don't

i dunno if it comes down to decision paralysis on what to do or just general life malaise or what

i've spent a gross amount of time in the game, but it's been divided between two different files. for me, the core gameplay loop is really satisfying, and making, implementing, and acting on plans for my farm is very engaging.

i'll probably put it aside for a while after i finish this file, because i'm getting a lot busier over the next few months, and i've put way too much time into it already.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
my favorite side plot in this game is that the mayor and marnie have an extremely kinky sexual relationship

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
the thing in the sewer sells batteries (and just straight up iridium sprinklers) sometimes. might be worth checking once a day if you're in town.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
i got my cellar in, and have stuff cooking away in there. curious to see how aging changes the sell price.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
yeah, i wish i'd gotten my rabbit sooner. i hate the drat things. they're useless.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Animals are a really good investment overall, despite the work. Three jars of mayo sell for like 500g a day, which is great starting out.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
i mean, you got to get to a million somehow

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
i didn't realize it takes three seasons to age wine. probably won't be doing that any more.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
finally got a giant crop. it was a melon.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
well, finished up my file last night. winter 2 was still a slog, and i spent most of the last week doing chores and then going to bed at 8AM.

ended up w/ 1.5 million lifetime, and a statue of perfection. it was fun, but i don't see myself picking this up again until he releases the new content for it later in the year, if even then.

the new poo poo is all pretty cool, but it suffers from being sort of useless once you're in late-game. like by the time i build an autoharvester, or a pillar that lets me teleport, i'm having 0 problem with time management or energy, and generally going to bed early anyway.

the new questlines are OK, but the fact that they require you to get hints from ancient books kinda sucks. i just googled them, tbh.

anyway, great game as always. i feel kinda gross with how much time i've put into it, but it's an amazing achievement in game design still.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
yeah, as a person who doesn't care about achievements you can definitely beat this game well before the end of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
the cellar is a cool idea, but by the time you can get it, it doesn't feel like it matters much. 3 seasons to double the sell price of something isn't that great.

• Locked thread