Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy
I'm a huge nerd when it comes to designing layouts and things, not necessarily to try and min/max efficiency, but just to have a cool/symmetrical looking place.

It's winter so you can't really see much but here's my general setup at the moment
'

Also I just booted up for the first time in a couple months and I totally forgot how great the music is in this game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy
Yeah my first whole year was a mess. The weird thing about Stardew is there's certain things that you definitely want to know early on about the game since they help a ton with your productivity, but there's also plenty of little secrets and surprises that you don't really want spoiled.

When I played I just sat back and enjoyed the experience of the first year figuring everything out, and then went hardcore into hoarding 40 of every single type of crop the next year.

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy
PROTIP: There's a traveling gypsy that appears in the south forrest (near the Wizard's house) every weekend, and she sells a random assortment of items. You can buy stuff from her to complete the community center collections (assuming you went that route) without having to wait an entire year for something to be in season.

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy

sector_corrector posted:

my first runthrough was really highly rated, but i can't remember what i did to get that. it felt like i was struggling the whole time.

i think i rushed mining pretty quick for the exact purpose of getting sprinkler stuff so that i didn't have to spend my entire day watering.
I specifically neglected the relationship building part until year 3 which hurt my score quite a bit. Luckily in the patch they added the option to rescore yourself at any given time so you don't miss out on the unlocks.

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy
Leah ftw, btw.

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy
Just buy it like a normal person. The game offers so much to do, please don't waste it farming a huge field of wheat every day.

EDIT: They also eat grass if you let them outside but eventually they'll eat all the grass.

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy
Mayo machines are a good way to make money with eggs. You're on your way my man.

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy
Pretty standard cellar

Used to be my "mining/ore" storage shed but I'm slowly converting it to a diamond factory in the late game

My greenhouse that I spend like 30 minutes meticulously designing before I realized that honey doesn't actually produce in greenhouses

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy
I'm not entirely sure what's required to learn the recipe (mining level maybe?) but here's what it requires

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy

Ristolaz posted:

I played on the river farm. You run out of space if you wanna powerfarm but you can also conceivably fill the whole thing up, which is satisfying.

Minerals

Greenhouse

Out side. The shed has kegs

I have three islands just for cash crops

Sap farm. It looks epic in the fall

My hens

We did it!!!!

The long con... :unsmigghh:

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy
The truffle army...

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy
Foraging is probably the best layout for someone just starting the game. I feel like all the other new ones are just there to add some variety/challenge for the people that want to replay the game again but have a slightly different experience.

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy
Winter is a good time to hoard ores from the mines, as well as visit with your fellow townsfolk and increase your relationships.

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy
You can make seeds out of the various foragables (like you can with every season) but there are no regular crops for Winter.

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy
A sneaky good tactic for winter when you've got the gold/iridium hoe is to hoe out the entire beach. For some reason during the Winter you get an insane amount of yam/root drops when digging in regular dirt. You can either sell them for a decent profit or use them to make seeds.

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy

Catberry posted:

If you go the jojo route then try to get the greenhouse up. Then you can grow all winter.
The what route?

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy
lmfao

grats dude

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy
also did you honestly think it would end at 100? :unsmigghh:

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy
I agree with everyone else that the combat is poo but something about the exploration/resource collection of going deeper and deeper into the great unknown in the mines is really appealing to me. I wish the Skull Cave was more defined and not just some endless rng machine.

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy
Yeah you can clearcut the poo poo out of the forrest south of your farm, they'll all grow back in like 8 days or whatever it takes.

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy
You're missing a tile of planks and it's messing with my ocd insanely hard atm.

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy
Marnie's too busy loving the mayor while ignoring her dead sister's children as Shane's alcohol fueled depression spirals out of control.

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy
It's incredibly hosed up that Pam is the bus driver given her particularly problematic story arc. Sadly, it's the only way I can see Sandy.

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy
Yeah see my layout from before about optimal tree/sprinkler placements for the greenhouse.

He actually patched out the fact that you can plant trees on the tile terrace or whatever in the greenhouse, but then people complained about it so he put it back in, which is nice.

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy
It's a total grind to unlock, but a couple of the rewards for the monster killing quests are quite good. The burglar ring (which is also the most annoying to get) gives you Iridium bars on the regular.

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy
You've got the foraging perk that makes everything max quality right? That makes truffles super OP.

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy
If you're doing all oil, no. I always sell like half and make oil with the other half because it's easier and quicker.

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy

trying to jack off posted:

no offense but you sound like a loving moron for trying to make hay out of wheat

In Training posted:

Hmm. Feeding chickens is a zero sum game if I can't grow the wheat myself. I need to get a wheat field...and a silo...

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy

at the date posted:

Spring 2 and I just bought 80 starfruit plants and built 10 kegs. Summer's gonna make me rich.

e: The forest farm is nice.

Very nice.

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy

Evil Eagle posted:

The beginning of summer was super rainy but since I decided that I needed to upgrade my watering can there hasn't been a single rainy day.
Luckily not being watered just stunts growth, not kills the crop.

Also check the forecast you idiot!

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy

In Training posted:

On the same day I got a greenhouse and wife. Things are looking up
His name?

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy

sector_corrector posted:

it's a cool feeling once you start making in a single day what you used to make in a month. anyway, getting the cellar put onto my house, which is new content for me. i'm in middle summer and my piece of poo poo rabbit still hasn't shed one of its feet, but i guess i got two more months for that to happen, or to hit the jackpot and have one show up in the traveller's inventory. just that and a pomegranate and i've restored the community center.
One of the Skull Cave monsters drops a rabbit's foot pretty regularly. I think it's the flying dragon thing.

e;fb

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy
The same enemy drops Spicy Eel even more commonly, which if I remember correctly is a luck + speed boost.

Just spend a few days getting as deep as you can in the Skull Cave. Start right at 10am, bring a few bombs and some purple mushrooms. You'll get a ton of useful materials anyway.

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy

Ristolaz posted:

*spits out tomato wine*

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy
It's cool to see how different people approach the game. Like seeing giant 100 tile fields all of the same crop seems weird to me. I've always played it like a pack rat and am obsessed with collecting like 100 gold star quality of every single item in the game, regardless of its value.

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy

In Training posted:

I made 50k in one day and now I feel like I beat the game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy

That's cool.

• Locked thread