Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DuhSal
Aug 16, 2004

I will, brother. I promise.

Pillbug

Flunky posted:

Quibbles aside I can't wait for a sequel or two. Hopefully the success of this movie will inspire more directors to reject the god awful overused shaky cam and cutting-ten-times-a-second garbage that's plagued so many action movies over the last fifteen years.

Agreed. I loved being able to actually SEE the choreography and action develop into it's own story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Paragon8 posted:

I'll echo you.

The first movie was just so incredibly good. 2 is still a solid movie.

The impossible mission of this one felt way too easy compared to all the build up. If it wasn't for the double cross Wick would have been in and out with minimal effort.

Also the bulletproof suit kind of felt like a bridge too far

This was less impossible mission, more insane target that if you get caught means you're a dead man. The only reason even John Wick would take the job is because he was forced to. The risk vs reward was way too high for anyone else good enough to do the job. Also about the only reason John Wick could pull it off was because the target understood the futility of fighting. Of course he then proceeds to follow up the mission only he could walk out of unscathed by being noticed by virtue of being John Wick.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Flunky posted:

Quibbles aside I can't wait for a sequel or two. Hopefully the success of this movie will inspire more directors to reject the god awful overused shaky cam and cutting-ten-times-a-second garbage that's plagued so many action movies over the last fifteen years.

That depends on how much they're willing to invest in their actors becoming competent enough at martial arts/gun handling. Bad action scene cinematography is almost always a dead giveaway of an ill-prepared actor. By comparison, there's plenty of footage available on the internet of Keanu at the gun range getting his muscle memory down to the point where he really can pull out a gun and plug three people in two seconds.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

Gyges posted:

This was less impossible mission, more insane target that if you get caught means you're a dead man. The only reason even John Wick would take the job is because he was forced to. The risk vs reward was way too high for anyone else good enough to do the job. Also about the only reason John Wick could pull it off was because the target understood the futility of fighting. Of course he then proceeds to follow up the mission only he could walk out of unscathed by being noticed by virtue of being John Wick.

I mean going by that it seems like a narrative misuse of a character who is the greatest assassin to undertake a mission due more to having legal leverage on him than needing his unique skill.

Nothing in the John Wick universe seems to stop assassins from taking on extreme risks. Perkins willing to break continental rules, dozens of assassins jumping at a chance to kill John on sight. Nobody is really weighing the odds very long on their decisions.

The target only knew he was there because he announced himself to her because of their previous relationship. Other assassins could have simply killed the target and exited. Without the ambush the assassination of one of the most powerful underworld figures would have been easier than retrieving his car.

It was a clunky way to set up the excellent third act. Superficially its fine and it gets us some great stylistic moments - it just doesn't seem to necessitate a montage of him getting new guns, a bulletproof suit, and a map of the catacombs after it was already suggested he take the catacombs. Then he strolls through and kills the target and makes eye contact with the wrong guy but evades him easily and only runs into trouble when he gets double crossed by his employer.

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer
Re: the impossible mission: I got the idea that Giana could handle herself - she had those razor talon things for a reason - and if it'd been anyone but Wick who'd showed up to kill her, it would've been them bleeding out in the bathtub instead of her.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
Thinking about it, it's kinda cool that this film kinda pays off the 'unstoppable assassin' trope to it's full conclusion in a way that is emotionally unexpected. Namely, the target understanding the futility of trying to outrun John Wick, and just laying down and accepting fate. Though playing it as something that's incredibly sad, that should of, and could of, been avoided in the first place, is an unexpected and non-badass way of exploring it.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
I do like that everyone who knows about the marker and the job thinks it's hosed up. Even the idiot who calls in the marker.

Though when he said that if John had stayed retired he never would have called in the marker he was clearly full of poo poo. If John's wife hadn't died before his dad the dumb gently caress would have done the one thing worse than Theon killing that puppy.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

I said most of this in the review thread, but movie rules. It's appropriate he goes to Italy, because it felt like some kind of giallo-action hybrid. Or more, some combination of Italian giallo and a Suzuki Seijun movie, but with more gun-fu and judo.

I have zero complaints, this movie delivered in every way I wanted. Wait, actually, one: it would've been dope in the art museum shootout if John head-shot some goon in front of a modern 'white on white' painting and left an AbEx-looking blood splatter.

Also Common was great.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
My favorite gag/joke in this movie was

Franco Nero getting all apprehensive and asking Wick if he was in Rome to assassinate the Pope and when said no he allowed Wick to use the Continental and its perks; glad the illuminati mafia has a line at least.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

This movie looked crazy good. The entire museum portion at the end, especially the Enter the Dragon-inspired hall of mirrors portion, was absolutely gorgeous. You come to John Wick for the standard-setting gunplay action but it decides to give you sumptuous visuals as well. This is a mid-budget movie here ($40 mil) and it shows off Rome, it showcases the beautiful WTC transit station, and the museum, to say nothing of the different hotel locations and looks leagues better than most action movies.

SplitScreenGamer
Feb 16, 2017

Bringing back the fun of local multiplayer gaming!
It always amazes me to see an actor who was in a famous movie series nearly 20 years ago come back and be even cooler.

Akrabbim
Aug 10, 2003
It means 'scorpion' in Hebrew, and rhymes with 'bakrabbim'. Don't even ask...
This is more John Wick 1 trivia, but it just hit me recently. The guy who played Theon's older brother in the movie was the main character of Future War, the terrible movie riffed by MST3K. I was glad to see that the guy actually got into a decent movie later on. :)

As for this movie, I agree that the visuals were great. Also, everything they called back from the first movie was called back in a great way. I was starting to get a bit worried when they started repeating a couple of the lines from 1, but they did good things with it instead of just making a reference.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Lobok posted:

This movie looked crazy good. The entire museum portion at the end, especially the Enter the Dragon-inspired hall of mirrors portion, was absolutely gorgeous. You come to John Wick for the standard-setting gunplay action but it decides to give you sumptuous visuals as well. This is a mid-budget movie here ($40 mil) and it shows off Rome, it showcases the beautiful WTC transit station, and the museum, to say nothing of the different hotel locations and looks leagues better than most action movies.

If I remember interviews I saw with the directors, by doing all that prep work for the good action they do it's actually fairly cheep to film since they only have to do a couple takes or so. Keanu doing all the poo poo himself also makes it so they don't have to worry about 2nd units and doing multiple cameras and editing tricks to hide the stunt doubles as well.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

I said it in the GBS JW thread, but Jesus, I cringed every time Ruby Rose used ASL. It was just painfully bad.

It was a fun sequel, even if the suit was a little silly. Using the lapel to block headshots.

I just have one question about the subway fight with Common. How the Hell did they get on the same car when they were standing on opposite platforms?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Lobok posted:

40m? That's it? Wow. It didn't show at all. I saw this today. loving loved it. I loved the museum stuff too. It really caught me by surprise. I was really amazed that they went balls out and told everyone exactly what to expect in the sequel. It's like, beyond a cliffhanger ending.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

LadyPictureShow posted:

I just have one question about the subway fight with Common. How the Hell did they get on the same car when they were standing on opposite platforms?

Looked like the platforms were close enough to support boarding/disembarking from both sides of the train. It's a pretty, uh, "common" thing.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

LadyPictureShow posted:

I said it in the GBS JW thread, but Jesus, I cringed every time Ruby Rose used ASL. It was just painfully bad.

It was a fun sequel, even if the suit was a little silly. Using the lapel to block headshots.

The doors open on both sides of the subway.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Lobok posted:

At one point I was wondering if they were trying to compete with Doctor strange with very simple effects.

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!
Just FYI you can totally get bulletproof suits that easily stop handgun fire.

http://garrisonbespoke.com/custom-suits/bulletproof-suit/

http://www.digitaltrends.com/cool-tech/liquid-body-armor/

http://www.popsci.com/suit-these-3-pieces-bulletproof-businesswear

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Great movie, does exactly what you expect it to do.

Best part: Wick and common shooting at each other very discreetly while walking down towards the subway platform. I don't know why but I couldn't stop laughing.

Main objection: The price on his contract. Not necessarily that 7 mil sounds low (it does) but also why the gently caress is it in USD? If it was 7 million doubloons that'd be a different story. Is it because they just didn't want to put a name to their currency?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I think at least there should have been one assassin in the montage who looks at their phone and rolls their eyes or say "gently caress that" and just ignores the text altogether. .

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

NmareBfly posted:

Best part: Wick and common shooting at each other very discreetly while walking down towards the subway platform. I don't know why but I couldn't stop laughing.

The non assassin's of New York's common folk are quite slow.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Jose Oquendo posted:

40m? That's it? Wow. It didn't show at all. I saw this today. loving loved it. I loved the museum stuff too. It really caught me by surprise. I was really amazed that they went balls out and told everyone exactly what to expect in the sequel. It's like, beyond a cliffhanger ending.

It's amazing what people can do. The two Raid movies cost about five or six million between them.

I'm really, really annoyed how late we're getting this in Australia. One source says late April, the other mid-May.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Tenzarin posted:

The non assassin's of New York's common folk are quite slow.

It was great how you could see some guys on the train were going to break up the fight between Wick and Common but decided better of it. Then everyone bolts as soon as the doors open up at the next stop. Did they recognize Wick? :allears:

MariusLecter fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Feb 19, 2017

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Lobok posted:

Looked like the platforms were close enough to support boarding/disembarking from both sides of the train. It's a pretty, uh, "common" thing.

I've only ever ridden subways where if you're on the opposite platform you're not getting on the same train. I'm just dumb for not considering 'doors both sides' as a thing.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

Loved the movie but the action definitely breaks the suspension of disbelief more than the first one did. Like others said, all the barely missed shots, the bullet proof suit jacket, and the overly calm civilians seemed too hammy to me.

The first part of killing the sister also felt too easy for an "impossible target."

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

trapped in custom title factory, send help

LadyPictureShow posted:

All of the Russian was painfully bad too, I barely recognised the language at times. Not a single native speaker in the cast, it's just how Hollywood is sometimes.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

WarpedLichen posted:

Loved the movie but the action definitely breaks the suspension of disbelief more than the first one did. Like others said, all the barely missed shots, the bullet proof suit jacket, and the overly calm civilians seemed too hammy to me.

The first part of killing the sister also felt too easy for an "impossible target."

The ones that screamed at the fountain as they undoubtedly hit bystanders or the ones that ran in terror the second the train doors opened?

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
Got back from watching this tonight--was I mistaken or was there one part in a certain somebody's big yarn wall that said John Wick is actually wanted by the FBI? Like there's an actual (sort of) functioning law enforcement organization in this world?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The people in the train fight was the funniest thing. Those little details make the film. Like almost no attention is drawn to it.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

MariusLecter posted:

The ones that screamed at the fountain as they undoubtedly hit bystanders or the ones that ran in terror the second the train doors opened?

As irresponsible as that fountain scene may have been to us normies in the real world it didn't look like they hit anyone but correct me if I'm wrong.

Really, these films are actually much better than most action films about keeping the innocent casualties to a minimum (or to zero). Like I love Ronin, but man, random people get hosed up in that film.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Boing posted:

All of the Russian was painfully bad too, I barely recognised the language at times. Not a single native speaker in the cast, it's just how Hollywood is sometimes.

And plus look, if you're gonna cast Peter Stormare for your Russian character, you know what you're getting.

e: like, it's actually a cinematic crime he wasn't simply already cast as Viggo Tarasov in #1.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Feb 20, 2017

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Jose Oquendo posted:

40m? That's it? Wow. It didn't show at all. I saw this today. loving loved it.

Trying to sort out budgets for films always blows my mind. I watched Neon Demon recently, and say what you will about it as a film but it's goddamn gorgeous. And cost $7 million. I mean, its locations didn't seem that crazy, and certainly there wasn't much in the way of staged action or expensive actors (though Keanu was in it), but that's insanely cheap regardless.

They did a lot with $40m, but I believe it. I hope it does well, because it's the most fun theater-going experience I've had in months.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Boing posted:

Im assuming the Italian was fine in this one, since Santino, Julius and Gianna's actors are native born Italians, but I'm betting Keanu and Common were iffy.

Sure it's only a thing you notice when you actually know the language. Mostly I just assume a non-native speaker is doing a so-so job.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Having Ruby Rose speak only in sign language was a really good choice. Her accent is really jarring (and that's coming from someone with the same accent) and I doubt she'd be able to cover it up well.

WarpedLichen posted:

I think it was less 'impossible' and more 'an awful idea'. She's a member of the High Table, and should be considered 'untouchable'. No one would normally consider killing someone of her status. Cassian wasn't exactly that present when she was at the party - it seemed like he was mostly kept as a formality. She's safe via status, rather than having Cassian or other security around.

SplitScreenGamer posted:

It always amazes me to see an actor who was in a famous movie series nearly 20 years ago come back and be even cooler.

Larry Fishburne has had a career most people can only dream of. Apocalypse Now, Boyz N Tha Hood, Othello, The Matrix, Hannibal. He's never really stopped having great roles. I think you're probably talking about Keanu, but Fishburne rules too.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

well why not posted:

Having Ruby Rose speak only in sign language was a really good choice. Her accent is really jarring (and that's coming from someone with the same accent) and I doubt she'd be able to cover it up well.

I think it was less 'impossible' and more 'an awful idea'. She's a member of the High Table, and should be considered 'untouchable'. No one would normally consider killing someone of her status. Cassian wasn't exactly that present when she was at the party - it seemed like he was mostly kept as a formality. She's safe via status, rather than having Cassian or other security around.

Larry Fishburne has had a career most people can only dream of. Apocalypse Now, Boyz N Tha Hood, Othello, The Matrix, Hannibal. He's never really stopped having great roles. I think you're probably talking about Keanu, but Fishburne rules too.

My parents saw Larry's one man show in DC a few years ago and described as one of the best things they've ever seen. The guy is just absurdly awesome and talented.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

be sure to blast this as you scroll through the thread :

https://open.spotify.com/track/6oGeBue7rM8Fh0IZ4lHKLr

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005

achillesforever6 posted:

My favorite gag/joke in this movie was

Franco Nero getting all apprehensive and asking Wick if he was in Rome to assassinate the Pope and when said no he allowed Wick to use the Continental and its perks; glad the illuminati mafia has a line at least.

See...I didn't take the joke that way at all but I still laughed. The way I interpreted the joke initially was, John Wick has never been here and who the gently caress could possibly be a bigger target for the legendary John Wick himself to come to town to kill? The fact that he doesn't even conceive it could possibly be Gianna shows how crazy an idea it is for anyone to even attempt to take her out that the biggest target he can come up with is The Pope in the #2 spot.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

For a few minutes I thought that she was lady pope AND a member of the High table. Strong illuminati vibes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Perhaps the Pope is king/grand master/pope/etc. of assassins?

• Locked thread