Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

LegoMan posted:

I can't remember did he kill anyone in that opening? I remember a lot of beating the shits out of.

The guy he shot the knees off of probably bled out by the time him and Viggos brother took a shot of vodka in the office.

That's the most peaceful you're going to get from Wick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!

LegoMan posted:

I can't remember did he kill anyone in that opening? I remember a lot of beating the shits out of.

I think he was just maiming most of them. He didn't really appear to give a poo poo if they lived or died but Wick's proven himself pretty lethal at a split-seconds notice so I kinda figure if they don't show him actively breaking necks and headshotting that he didn't explicitly intend to kill them.

He also garroted and ran people down in that scene so he wasn't trying to leave them alive either, though.

Tumble fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Feb 27, 2017

an adult beverage
Aug 13, 2005

1,2,3,4,5 dem gators don't take no jive. go gator -US Rep. Corrine Brown (D) FL
John Wick 2 owns, this is the best action movie since John Wick 1.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

an adult beverage posted:

John Wick 2 owns, this is the best action movie since John Wick 1.

What is John Wick 1 the best action film since?

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Xealot posted:

What is John Wick 1 the best action film since?
The Raid 2?

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Fury Road.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

It's actually Dredd. Which took over The Raid.

Last few years have been really loving good for action movies.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I found Raid 2 a little long in the tooth and up it's own rear end - the first one is so perfect though.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
The correct answer is in fact Fury Road, however The Raid, The Raid 2, or Dredd are right up there. It really has been a fantastic 5 years or so for action films, we've had a stone-cold classic like once a year.

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

What these movies have in common is that you can see the action in every single one. Makes you think.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Vintersorg posted:

I found Raid 2 a little long in the tooth and up it's own rear end - the first one is so perfect though.

Correct.

Basebf555 posted:

The correct answer is in fact Fury Road,

Also correct

CRINDY
Sep 23, 2010

forget about ur worries and ur strife
It's not THE best, but I feel confident adding Edge of Tomorrow to that list.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Bugblatter posted:

Fury Road.
poo poo I feel like an idiot for forgetting Fury Road :downs:

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Basebf555 posted:

The correct answer is in fact Fury Road, however The Raid, The Raid 2, or Dredd are right up there. It really has been a fantastic 5 years or so for action films, we've had a stone-cold classic like once a year.

Stop sleeping on Killzone 2.

A good-hearted but mildly corrupt prison guard has to team up with the framed prisoner undercover cop who is also the bone marrow match for his daughter with leukemia!!!!!

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

PJOmega posted:

The opening sequence was amazing but made little sense to me. As soon as Wick called he should've ordered the car released. He knew Wick was coming. He had a huge smuggling operation about to occur to clear everything out in case Wick was coming. Be the first to extend the branch.

Also, I get the feeling that the AssCoins they were loading up weren't entirely legit. Why else have the scene with the coin craftsman in the garden? Since coins are apparently produced and distributed by the consulate, that would indicate that they are indeed a reputation system rather than strictly fiducial. If a family was indeed creating counterfeits in order to sway more freelancers that would likely grievously upset the detente that is represented by the high table.

AssCoins. heh.

And given that Wick just murderlated his brother and nephew(and like 80 henchmen) over a damned dog and the car, he had no reason to presume that Wick was going to just...stop. Still, I'd maybe have the car outside with one of those giant bows on it, just in case.

Flipside: what sort of a mob boss would you look like if you gave in like that after your family (and Family) get attacked? Better to evac and go down swinging than look weak.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Stop sleeping on Killzone 2.

A good-hearted but mildly corrupt prison guard has to team up with the framed prisoner undercover cop who is also the bone marrow match for his daughter with leukemia!!!!!

Totally. Not sure how much crossover there is with this thread and the Martial Arts movie thread but y'all need to watch this movie if you like action films.

tin can made man
Apr 13, 2005

why don't you ask him
about his penis

OAquinas posted:

Flipside: what sort of a mob boss would you look like if you gave in like that after your family (and Family) get attacked? Better to evac and go down swinging than look weak.

This could easily be an intentional motivation by Unconvincing Russian/Exemplary Grizzled White Actor, Peter Stormare. Just turning over one's belly to anyone, even the Boogeyman, probably makes you chum in the waters of their underworld society. On the other hand, having a crew of guys killed/maimed by John Wick himself may be a mark of merit or accomplishment. Per the script, Laurence Fishburne didnt rise to his position as King of the Outcasts From Demolition Man because of his canny, knowledge, or skill, but because he had been attacked by Wick, survived, and had the scars to prove it

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

OAquinas posted:

That's kinda how I read the situation with Viggo in the first movie. He gives up his son's location because he's got a loaded gun in his face, but then once Wick kills him, Viggo couldn't just say "oh well, he deserved it". To allow someone, even John Wick, to murder his own son and walk away would be just as suicidal as taking him on to someone like Viggo.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

tin can made man posted:

This could easily be an intentional motivation by Unconvincing Russian/Exemplary Grizzled White Actor, Peter Stormare. Just turning over one's belly to anyone, even the Boogeyman, probably makes you chum in the waters of their underworld society. On the other hand, having a crew of guys killed/maimed by John Wick himself may be a mark of merit or accomplishment. Per the script, Laurence Fishburne didnt rise to his position as King of the Outcasts From Demolition Man because of his canny, knowledge, or skill, but because he had been attacked by Wick, survived, and had the scars to prove it

I think this is very true. Having survived an encounter with Wick gives a huge amount of clout in the underworld. Common's character may follow in the footsteps of Fishburne's, actually.

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005

LegoMan posted:

I'm assuming these ended in fatalities but he killed approx 20 men.
John's head count for the entire movie I had clocked at roughly 121 upon re-watch.

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003

Basebf555 posted:

That's kinda how I read the situation with Viggo in the first movie. He gives up his son's location because he's got a loaded gun in his face, but then once Wick kills him, Viggo couldn't just say "oh well, he deserved it". To allow someone, even John Wick, to murder his own son and walk away would be just as suicidal as taking him on to someone like Viggo.

Nah, Wick would have let Viggo go if he hadn't gone and killed Marcus. And Viggo wasn't wrong to kill Marcus either; Marcus flat out lied to Viggo and could have saved his son numerous times.

I think the underworld in these movies gives people a pass if they wimp out over going up against Wick.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Tumble posted:

Nah, Wick would have let Viggo go if he hadn't gone and killed Marcus. And Viggo wasn't wrong to kill Marcus either; Marcus flat out lied to Viggo and could have saved his son numerous times.

I think the underworld in these movies gives people a pass if they wimp out over going up against Wick.

I guess we don't know enough about Marcus and Wick's relationship. Did Viggo know that killing Marcus would elicit such a strong response from Wick? I'd say probably yes but there's no way to know for sure, Viggo was under the impression that Marcus would actually be willing to kill Wick so he obviously didn't realize how close they were.

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
Marcus at Wick's wife's funeral, so they seemed pretty close.

(I watched John Wick like 5 times in the month before JW2 came out; none of my friends had seen it and none of them knew how rad it was.)

Tumble fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Feb 28, 2017

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Basebf555 posted:

I guess we don't know enough about Marcus and Wick's relationship. Did Viggo know that killing Marcus would elicit such a strong response from Wick? I'd say probably yes but there's no way to know for sure, Viggo was under the impression that Marcus would actually be willing to kill Wick so he obviously didn't realize how close they were.

Viggo asks Marcus if the contract will be an issue because he knows they're friends. Marcus then tells Viggo that the offer is big enough for him to be a professional.

So Viggo knew he was killing John Wick's buddy for helping John Wick out. Then he taunts John about it over the phone.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Gyges posted:

Viggo asks Marcus if the contract will be an issue because he knows they're friends. Marcus then tells Viggo that the offer is big enough for him to be a professional.

So Viggo knew he was killing John Wick's buddy for helping John Wick out. Then he taunts John about it over the phone.

True, he does call Wick to taunt him, I'd forgotten about that. If he just wanted to kill Marcus for lying he could have done that quietly.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Also do the guns he uses not have chamber indicators? Dude checks every gun after racking all movie.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib

AlternateAccount posted:

Also do the guns he uses not have chamber indicators? Dude checks every gun after racking all movie.

Better sure than shot

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Dude's just VERY on point. He gets 7 rounds from the Bowery King and you count along with him waiting to see what he'd do when he runs out... And I'm happy he threw it at a dude's face :v:

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
You can see all those little habits being formed in those training videos. Its interesting how goofy Keanu looks as he's learning the different stages of a good fast-draw and how to stand properly while firing, and then it all eventually comes together and he ends up looking way more competent than any normal action hero.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

AlternateAccount posted:

That's just long held standard procedure, both for safety and survival

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Felt a bit slower than the first one with much more time spent on world building exposition. In the first one there just sort of is a secret society of assassins that runs hotels and has gold coins as a secret assassin currency. But of course it was a neccesity to get a bit into assassin politics in this one since the main plot is actually about that and I don't think they get too carried away. The general vibe of the film is a bit different also. The first one had more of a gritty crime thriller feel to it while this one is a bit more James Bond. Maybe that's just the setting with all these elaborately decorated centuries old majestic buildings.

Great film, I hope he goes to Hong Kong in the third one and they go full on John Woo.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

FreudianSlippers posted:

Great film, I hope he goes to Hong Kong in the third one and they go full on John Woo.

I was hoping Tokyo, so it can riff on Tokyo Drifter some more. I just really want a scene of suited-up John Wick walking in the snow after dispatching like 50 yakuza.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Bugblatter posted:

Fury Road.

John wick is nothing close to fury road, in my opinion.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Xealot posted:

I was hoping Tokyo, so it can riff on Tokyo Drifter some more. I just really want a scene of suited-up John Wick walking in the snow after dispatching like 50 yakuza.

That might actually make more sense.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.
It was fun, but there were many mini plotholes which made scenes more difficult to enjoy than they should've. The occasional bends of real-world logic were fine, but they were too inconsistent to ignore like I felt myself wanting to.

It was obviously still a completely enjoyable movie. One was better. But I give a lot of credit for their ability to sell Wick as a badass while still feeling like things have started fresh.

I also liked how they show how few people truly understand how bad it is to mess with Wick, and how they always seem resigned to wasting their breath on people who don't believe them. That was well done.

There are no NYC trains you can board from both sides of the platform :colbert:

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Zeris posted:

There are no assassin run hotels that accept gold doubloons as payment in NYC. :colbert: ^2

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

PJOmega posted:

There are no assassin run hotels that accept gold doubloons as payment in NYC. :colbert: ^2

There are cops in NYC.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

Zeris posted:

Apparently you can do so at the new WTC station. At least according to a guy in the other Wick thread.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.
Well then I stand corrected - that's actually kind of cool. I also did find the use of the new WTC underground plaza (where Wick and Common covertly shoot at each other in plain sight) to be well done. That place has the ire of so many New Yorkers, it was nice to see it in a fun way (well, sort of) for once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Zeris posted:

It was fun, but there were many mini plotholes which made scenes more difficult to enjoy than they should've. The occasional bends of real-world logic were fine, but they were too inconsistent to ignore like I felt myself wanting to.

It was obviously still a completely enjoyable movie. One was better. But I give a lot of credit for their ability to sell Wick as a badass while still feeling like things have started fresh.

I also liked how they show how few people truly understand how bad it is to mess with Wick, and how they always seem resigned to wasting their breath on people who don't believe them. That was well done.

Weren't they specifically on the PATH? That would likely mean they boarded at Hoboken.

Jesus christ touching the "MY REALISM" stove feels disgusting

• Locked thread