Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
I liked 2 more than 1 since to me it did what sequels should do, build on the last one and do the things the first one did but better. I'm hoping 3 closes out the story in a satisfying way and leaves us with a classic action trilogy, which we haven't really had in a long time with so many other solid action movies being one-offs lately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.

weekly font posted:

Weren't they specifically on the PATH? That would likely mean they boarded at Hoboken.

Jesus christ touching the "MY REALISM" stove feels disgusting

My biggest beef was the touch and go nature of realism. Sometimes physics mattered, other times it didn't. Sometimes motivations had to make sense, other times the audience was told to just go with it. I'm up for some comic book fun; nobody wants to watch John Wick spend three weeks of downtown because he got a TBI.

But nobody wants to see a magic flying car or whatever, either. I don't envy the narrow path the writers have to walk in order to satisfy audience expectations whilst maintaining suspense and not annoying us.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Zeris posted:

My biggest beef was the touch and go nature of realism. Sometimes physics mattered, other times it didn't. Sometimes motivations had to make sense, other times the audience was told to just go with it. I'm up for some comic book fun; nobody wants to watch John Wick spend three weeks of downtown because he got a TBI.

But nobody wants to see a magic flying car or whatever, either. I don't envy the narrow path the writers have to walk in order to satisfy audience expectations whilst maintaining suspense and not annoying us.

Yeah, this got a bit apparent with the speed at which people traveled all over the place. When Cassian promised to take John down, I'd fully expected an ambush the moment John left the Continental in Rome. But instead he just shwooped over to NYC instantly. A similar thing happened with Santino who was only like 30 seconds ahead of John in the museum, but somehow managed to get all the way to the Continental and have a nice talk with Winston long before John caught up. These are very minor niggles, though, I'd basically forgotten all about them by the time the next scene rolled up.

Anyhow, my personal highlight was probably the pencil scene. Not only was it a perfect payoff for something that had been hyped for one and a half movies, but when that thing happened pretty much everyone in the cinema audibly groaned at the same time. :haw:

Seedge
Jun 15, 2009
Hey, buddy. :glomp:

Perestroika posted:

Yeah, this got a bit apparent with the speed at which people traveled all over the place. When Cassian promised to take John down, I'd fully expected an ambush the moment John left the Continental in Rome. But instead he just shwooped over to NYC instantly. A similar thing happened with Santino who was only like 30 seconds ahead of John in the museum, but somehow managed to get all the way to the Continental and have a nice talk with Winston long before John caught up. These are very minor niggles, though, I'd basically forgotten all about them by the time the next scene rolled up.

Anyhow, my personal highlight was probably the pencil scene. Not only was it a perfect payoff for something that had been hyped for one and a half movies, but when that thing happened pretty much everyone in the cinema audibly groaned at the same time. :haw:

John is still being hunted, and probably can't catch a cab there like Santino.

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012
This was one of those rare times where there really was too much off a good thing for me in a movie.

I got bored with the shooty bits. The pencil was great, but after 20 cool headshots I tired of them.

And why did he have to be excommunicated?

My friend I were joking that Wick 3 will be: John Wick kills the world.

And this was also the first time the total lack of acting skills from Keanu bothered me, a lot of people used to give him flak for his acting but I never felt this way about him. In this it really stood out though.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Mr Shiny Pants posted:

And why did he have to be excommunicated?

Are you kidding me? Both movies bring up over and over than you can't kill anyone on Continental grounds, which John does.

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012

WampaLord posted:

Are you kidding me? Both movies bring up over and over than you can't kill anyone on Continental grounds, which John does.

I know why, I had hoped he didn't kill the dude in the hotel. It was shitstorm already with the mob after him and now also no safe haven from the continental.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Mr Shiny Pants posted:

I know why, I had hoped he didn't kill the dude in the hotel. It was shitstorm already with the mob after him and now also no safe haven from the continental.

He says to Morpheus "...if you kill [the bad Italian], the High Table come after you; if I kill him, the High Table come after me." So basically the High Table/Continental will go after Neo regardless.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
The High Table and the Continental are linked but separate entities. The High Table seem to be the governing body of the vast criminal underworld, but the Continental system is it's religion.

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012

Gyges posted:

The High Table and the Continental are linked but separate entities. The High Table seem to be the governing body of the vast criminal underworld, but the Continental system is it's religion.

This is what I also thought, so the mob after him already makes it hard enough, why also get yourself kicked out of that club?

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Basebf555 posted:

The correct answer is in fact Fury Road, however The Raid, The Raid 2, or Dredd are right up there. It really has been a fantastic 5 years or so for action films, we've had a stone-cold classic like once a year.

Don't forget Kingsman, if only for that church sequence. And the three best Fast and the Furious movies.

What were the great action films of the first decade of this millenium? I know they existed, they're just escaping me in a bit of bias validation.

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

Mr Shiny Pants posted:

This is what I also thought, so the mob after him already makes it hard enough, why also get yourself kicked out of that club?

Wick knew that he would probably be killed for breaking Continental rules, and just didn't care at that point. He was committed to retiring, but Santino was never going to let Wick live, and on top of that, was taunting him by sitting right in front of him at the Continental and showing that he could just wait Wick out. If there's no way out of the situation, why not take out Santino when he's sitting right in front of John and being an rear end in a top hat?

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
I read it as suicide by Continental. He even says he "Finished it." Like it was the only way out. Winston has other plans for Wick. Presumably.

There was a lot of things said in this movie, without any evidence to back them up. Like Lt. Daniels saying it had been a pleasure knowing Wick. He had met him 4 (?) times up to that point? Other than looking after the dog (why did he do that? A favour to his employer?) they share 5 sentences. Guy obviously doesnt get out much.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Collateral posted:

I read it as suicide by Continental. He even says he "Finished it." Like it was the only way out. Winston has other plans for Wick. Presumably.

There was a lot of things said in this movie, without any evidence to back them up. Like Lt. Daniels saying it had been a pleasure knowing Wick. He had met him 4 (?) times up to that point? Other than looking after the dog (why did he do that? A favour to his employer?) they share 5 sentences. Guy obviously doesnt get out much.

It seems fairly likely that Charon and Wick already knew each other before the events of JW1. Pretty much everyone else in the Continental knew Wick on sight and presumably had history with him, so why not the Charon as well?

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Collateral posted:

Are you one of those people who thinks things can't happen unless they're explicitly shown on screen?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Perestroika posted:

It seems fairly likely that Charon and Wick already knew each other before the events of JW1.

Yeah he says "And as always it is a pleasure having you with us again, Mr Wick" in the first movie, that's pretty unambiguous.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Wick retired after a full career of shooting people in the face, probably like 20 years or more. Being John Wick, I wouldn't be surprised if there were periods where Wick basically lived at the Continental full time because of the security it provides. Judging from what happened when he came back for like one day, when Wick was in his prime I imagine there was probably someone gunning for him every time he stepped off Continental grounds.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Also he's basically the Elvis of assassination. Even those who don't know him personally would know who he is.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Yeah he says "And as always it is a pleasure having you with us again, Mr Wick" in the first movie, that's pretty unambiguous.

Ah yeah, probably professional courtesy, not bon homme as I thought at the time

WeAreTheRomans posted:

Are you one of those people who thinks things can't happen unless they're explicitly shown on screen?

I am going to rewatch it, perhaps a second viewing may help. I am still mystified as to how Viggo's organisation know squat about this legendary biblical wrath of the gods figure who laid the foundations for their organisation, but almost everybody else does.

The best answer would be: "I don't know man, John Wick is fun."

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Collateral posted:

I am going to rewatch it, perhaps a second viewing may help. I am still mystified as to how Viggo's organisation know squat about this legendary biblical wrath of the gods figure who laid the foundations for their organisation, but almost everybody else does.

The best answer would be: "I don't know man, John Wick is fun."

They know about John Wick, at least most of them do. His son doesn't really know anything because he's a moron, and he's in his early 20's. At that point Wick has been out of the game for 5 years, I doubt when Viggo's son was 18 he was involved in ordering secret assassinations with his father. Even at the start of the first movie it doesn't seem like Viggo really includes his son in any actual important business, he just lets him hang around doing busy work because its his kid.

Viggo's head of security knows exactly who Wick is, for instance. He has a very healthy respect for/fear of Wick.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

Basebf555 posted:

They know about John Wick, at least most of them do. His son doesn't really know anything because he's a moron, and he's in his early 20's. At that point Wick has been out of the game for 5 years, I doubt when Viggo's son was 18 he was involved in ordering secret assassinations with his father. Even at the start of the first movie it doesn't seem like Viggo really includes his son in any actual important business, he just lets him hang around doing busy work because its his kid.

Viggo's head of security knows exactly who Wick is, for instance. He has a very healthy respect for/fear of Wick.

He never told his son about the Boogeyman? How not to commit suicide through stupidity.

That doesn't make any sense at all though. If you were the head of a crime syndicate, would you not spend every waking moment shaping your son (probably not heir, let's face it) into a not suicidal idiot. Pissing off John Wick sits at about the same level as invading Russia in winter as a bad idea.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Collateral posted:

He never told his son about the Boogeyman? How not to commit suicide through stupidity.

That doesn't make any sense at all though. If you were the head of a crime syndicate, would you not spend every waking moment shaping your son (probably not heir, let's face it) into a not suicidal idiot. Pissing off John Wick sits at about the same level as invading Russia in winter as a bad idea.

Wick was retired. By all accounts he was completely out of the game, and had been for 5 years. The kid randomly running into Wick at a gas station was not something Viggo had planned for.

I mean, in light of everything we learn about in Chapter 2, Viggo's son was REALLY out of the loop. He obviously was just the idiot kid that every stereotypical mob boss has to deal with when if it were literally anyone else they'd have been buried in the desert long ago.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Basebf555 posted:

It is kind've a plot hole, the only reason the Tarasov syndicate are doing as well as they are is that Viggo tasked Wick with the "impossible task" of killing all their competitors in a single night when Wick wanted to retire and get married. It's pretty weird that Iosef had never heard anything about Wick considering he was singlehandedly responsible for putting their syndicate where it is.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Collateral posted:

I always figured it was one of those long-time professional dealings thing. 'You've been a client for however many years, I can do you a solid'

That's one thing this movie was missing. A post credits scene of Lance Reddick classily pallin around with the dog.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

It is kind've a plot hole, the only reason the Tarasov syndicate are doing as well as they are is that Viggo tasked Wick with the "impossible task" of killing all their competitors in a single night when Wick wanted to retire and get married. It's pretty weird that Iosef had never heard anything about Wick considering he was singlehandedly responsible for putting their syndicate where it is.

Everything about Iosef(thanks for reminding me what his name was) in the movie screams "entitled son of mob boss who thinks he's hot poo poo but actually has zero real responsibility in the business."

He even appears to have a guy assigned to him specifically as a babysitter. Not a bodyguard, he has several of those, specifically a dude who hangs around him and reigns him in when he starts to act like too much of an rear end in a top hat for his own good.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
Pretty much. If Wick was still active, Iosef probably would have heard of him. But while Wick has a fearsome rep banked, he was also out of the scene--and there isn't exactly have a "Criminal Syndicate History, Part 1" reference book to say who built up the business. I doubt when Viggo was giving his primer to the family business to the kid he started it off with "everything we are we owe to this badass motherfucker bogeyman." Hell, for Viggo to be top dog as he was, Wick's Impossible Task being critical to him would probably be one of those "understood but not talked about" things. People in the know realize it was Wick that cleared the field for him, while everyone else just sees Viggo ascendant.

Of course, at this point Wick will be the talk of the Greater Assassin Community, considering: he's come back from retirement, murdered about 180 dudes, 3 mob leaders (including 2 high table members), flagrantly violated the Continental rules, and has a seven figure price on his head--all in the last 1-2 weeks.

Though if he were still alive Iosef would probably be grabbing a gun and driving out to try and get some, because he really was a dumbass.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

NmareBfly posted:

Main objection: The price on his contract. Not necessarily that 7 mil sounds low (it does) but also why the gently caress is it in USD? If it was 7 million doubloons that'd be a different story. Is it because they just didn't want to put a name to their currency?

Just to get back to this and to put it in some context, I was rewatching the original film and Viggo at first puts a $2 million bounty on Wick to try and save his son's life and later increases that to $4 million to try and entice someone to assassinate Wick inside the Continental. Perkins was aware of Wick's reputation and the repercussions for breaking the "No killing in the Continental" rule but she was still willing to take the job for $4m.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Perkins is a sociopath who thought she wouldn't get caught.

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Perkins is a sociopath who thought she wouldn't get caught.

Same, but for my poo poo posting.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
HitlerAssassin420: your posting privileges in the Something Awful forums has been, by thine own hand, revoked.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Only Ian McShane can make a line like "by thine own hand" sound like the sickest ice burn ever.

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

HitlerAssassin420: your posting privileges in the Something Awful forums has been, by thine own hand, revoked.

I've cut your aorta. If you don't get up and obnoxiously continue to gently caress with my forum from a transparent alternate account you won't get banned.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Mr Shiny Pants posted:

Remember that this is all just a few days after his wife's funeral, and Santino went and blew up all his physical keepsakes of their time together. We saw at the beginning that John was, understandably, depressed as gently caress and then Daisy was delivered to him. He found a little joy in life for a couple days, and then Theon took that from him. Now Santino has done the same.

All of John Wick's motivation in the movies is a combination of being tired of all this bullshit and depressed, but also being swept up in an endless rage at those who have done this to him. Winston's continuous references to John as The Devil speak to this. John sat upon the pinnacle of the underworld, but his wife redeemed him and showed him the light, her death cast him out of that light and into a pit of darkness, and now all these mother fuckers are poking at him when all he wants is to be left alone. They've taken every glimmer of brightness that he's found in the gloom, and with each indignity he comes closer to being that which he was and which he sought to not be. Those brief outbursts of rage he has in the movies? That's the Boogeyman.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

quote:

Those brief outbursts of rage he has in the movies? That's the Boogeyman.

Well.... John's not the Boogeyman, he's the one you send to kill the Boogeyman.

I wonder if the impossible task that John had to do to retire the first time was to kill someone who actually did go under the Boogeyman moniker?

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Snowman_McK posted:

Don't forget Kingsman, if only for that church sequence. And the three best Fast and the Furious movies.

I will forget kingsman actually thank you very much.

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012

Gyges posted:

Remember that this is all just a few days after his wife's funeral, and Santino went and blew up all his physical keepsakes of their time together. We saw at the beginning that John was, understandably, depressed as gently caress and then Daisy was delivered to him. He found a little joy in life for a couple days, and then Theon took that from him. Now Santino has done the same.

All of John Wick's motivation in the movies is a combination of being tired of all this bullshit and depressed, but also being swept up in an endless rage at those who have done this to him. Winston's continuous references to John as The Devil speak to this. John sat upon the pinnacle of the underworld, but his wife redeemed him and showed him the light, her death cast him out of that light and into a pit of darkness, and now all these mother fuckers are poking at him when all he wants is to be left alone. They've taken every glimmer of brightness that he's found in the gloom, and with each indignity he comes closer to being that which he was and which he sought to not be. Those brief outbursts of rage he has in the movies? That's the Boogeyman.

Yeah I forgot that in the timeline of the movie it all happens in a couple of days. Makes sense, I mean the guy was a smug motherfucker alright.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Stairmaster posted:

Look at this chump who hates cool things.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Stairmaster posted:

Kingsman was dope. Wasn't as good as either of the John Wicks, but was still a drat fun watch.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Kingsman is very good, but if we're talking about the league that Fury Road, The Raid, and John Wick are playing in, no.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Basebf555 posted:

Kingsman is very good, but if we're talking about the league that Fury Road, The Raid, and John Wick are playing in, no.

As rad as those films are, I'm not sure any of them had a set piece as singularly ambitious in conception and jaw dropping in execution as the church scene.

• Locked thread