Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

I mean, Enter the Dragon did a hall of mirrors fight where you can't ever see the cameraman, 44 years ago. It's not as pretty as the John Wick one but it's not some new groundbreaking effect.

Combining the mirrors with the lighting, and then timing it all up with the movements of the characters is what puts it on another level for me. Hiding cameramen is a nice little technical trick but its not the same kind of artistry as what's going on with the lighting and the overall cinematography.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

drunken officeparty posted:

B. He did the thing where he flips over them by the arm then shoots other guys who are rushing in then executes the guy he has down way too many times

I get where you're coming from on this, and its definitely important for the action not to get too repetitive, but at the same time I like the fact that Wick has a very identifiable fighting style and that he has go-to moves within that style.

All of the hand to hand stuff(including the moves that end with a bullet) is great because its much more realistically paced than a lot of other action movies. The opening fight scene comes off as kinda slow until you really start paying attention to every movement and you realize that Wick moves extremely deliberately. When he's tussling with a guy he's feeling around for leverage, then once he has it he puts them into a vulnerable position and delivers the final blow. That flip is one of his bread and butter moves because he's got a guy's momentum going one way and he's using it to get them on the ground, so because its extremely effective it makes sense that he would use it more than just once or twice.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Nah my point was that when Viggo confronted Iosef and said "That was John Wick you loving idiot!" it was odd that Iosef's reaction was "Yeah sorry, doesn't ring a bell?"

Iosef is a goof, not a respected member of his father's organization other than the fact that people know not to gently caress with him because of who he is.

When Wick was operating, building the legend that we know him as, Iosef was probably a punk kid in high school, like Anthony Jr. in The Sopranos. Kept separate from the business purposely, and then even when he decides to step into that world he's so protected and insulated from any actual decision making that he may as well not even exist. John Wick is a name Iosef may have heard thrown around without knowing the full context, and it makes sense to me that he wouldn't know the details of how his father took power in the first place.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
That's why Wick is the Boogeyman. Nobody actually believes in the Boogeyman. That is, until he's coming for you, then all of the sudden you believe in the Boogeyman.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Gyges posted:

Once you force a murder wizard to work their magic the mundane rules of nature no longer exist.

"You stabbed the Devil in the back, you incinerated the priests temple. Now he's free of the marker, what do you think he'll do?"

• Locked thread