Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Zeris posted:

My biggest beef was the touch and go nature of realism. Sometimes physics mattered, other times it didn't. Sometimes motivations had to make sense, other times the audience was told to just go with it. I'm up for some comic book fun; nobody wants to watch John Wick spend three weeks of downtown because he got a TBI.

But nobody wants to see a magic flying car or whatever, either. I don't envy the narrow path the writers have to walk in order to satisfy audience expectations whilst maintaining suspense and not annoying us.

Yeah, this got a bit apparent with the speed at which people traveled all over the place. When Cassian promised to take John down, I'd fully expected an ambush the moment John left the Continental in Rome. But instead he just shwooped over to NYC instantly. A similar thing happened with Santino who was only like 30 seconds ahead of John in the museum, but somehow managed to get all the way to the Continental and have a nice talk with Winston long before John caught up. These are very minor niggles, though, I'd basically forgotten all about them by the time the next scene rolled up.

Anyhow, my personal highlight was probably the pencil scene. Not only was it a perfect payoff for something that had been hyped for one and a half movies, but when that thing happened pretty much everyone in the cinema audibly groaned at the same time. :haw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Collateral posted:

I read it as suicide by Continental. He even says he "Finished it." Like it was the only way out. Winston has other plans for Wick. Presumably.

There was a lot of things said in this movie, without any evidence to back them up. Like Lt. Daniels saying it had been a pleasure knowing Wick. He had met him 4 (?) times up to that point? Other than looking after the dog (why did he do that? A favour to his employer?) they share 5 sentences. Guy obviously doesnt get out much.

It seems fairly likely that Charon and Wick already knew each other before the events of JW1. Pretty much everyone else in the Continental knew Wick on sight and presumably had history with him, so why not the Charon as well?

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

Really, the extended gag of John getting progressively more and more visibly frustrated with the shotgun's slow loading speed was the best part of that whole sequence

I liked the little speedloader thing he had on it as well. Half the time I wondered what the point of that was, only one shell in such a peculiar place. But then he just swipes it into the open chamber with a single smooth motion and I was all :aaa:

In general I was really impressed with how easy to read and follow the action sequences were. Take for example the one with the shotgun where he ends it by ramming the thing into the dude's sternum. At the beginning, you see the guards all come in and take cover in various positions while Wick loads like four shells into his gun. Then he goes in, and the first thought in my mind was "hold on, there's still a dude hidden behind that wall on the right". And sure enough, the guy comes out at that exact moment. Then Wick shoots four times and turns to the last guy, and I think "hey, shouldn't he have run out by now?". And once again, that does happen at that exact moment. The scenes are not just incredibly well choreographed, but also set up and executed in such a way that you pretty much always have a good idea what's going on despite their high tempo.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

I could well see the whole assassin society having a tradition of lowballing the average contract towards five or six figures. After all, what's the point of having this whole Continental infrastructure and everything when the average assassin would need just three or four jobs until they've got enough money to retire permanently? With relatively lower individual payouts you have an incentive for individual assassins to stay in the game longer, giving you a nice big pool of practised and experienced people.

Besides, given the sheer number of professionals we've seen in JW2, all that competition probably also does its bit towards keeping the prices low.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Jerkface posted:

The other thing is that the vast majority of people wick owns are private security, mercenary, or mafia goons. In JW1 marcus clearly could have killed wick, perkins would have had a good shot if marcus didnt warn him, and marcus had to save him again vs the russians. Jw2 shows he is still a cut above most continental members considering he takes out common and mute lady and all the assassins in the montage, but outside of the first 2 they didnt strike me as the cream of the crop.

And we also don't really know the relative quality of many of the assassins that actually went after Wick. The only two that seemed to be high-grade were Cassian and Ares (Common and Ruby Rose), by virtue of working as bodyguards for very high-ranked people. And both of those gave Wick a fair amount of trouble, particularly Cassian. For all we know, everybody else was mostly on the bottom rung of the Continental, and went after Wick because they didn't know his story or didn't believe it. For them it was a shortcut to instant prestige and riches, and as such worth the risk. By comparison I could well see all the high-ranking heavy hitters seeing the contract out on Wick and deciding that they very much had better things to do. Why risk your life on the most dangerous hit possible when you've probably already got plenty of money and standing already?

Perestroika fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Mar 27, 2017

• Locked thread