Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

I like how Charon, the hotel concierge, is just like Charon of mythology, who carries souls from the world of the living into the underworld after accepting a coin. Then of course at the end of this movie, he appears again, dressed in black, to transport Wick to Winston, where he will be excommunicated, a fate that may as well be death in this universe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

I was happy that the movie had a mute assassin because it meant that we got more of those cool stylized subtitles. Those are one of my favorite little touches to these movies.

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

AlternateAccount posted:

I enjoyed this but it definitely suffered from the "mooks don't exist until they come into frame" problem. No one just takes a shot at decent range. The first one used the layout of the nightclub to accomplish this, etc, but this just pretends their AI doesn't kick on til they're on camera.

Yeah, I was a little disappointed by how loose the action was compared to the first movie. There were just a few too many moments where Wick really should have been shot. He was out in the open often enough for the mooks to have a chance to do so, and then they just...wouldn't. They would just wait too long for their turn to get shot, or they would just run at him and get judo tossed and/or shot. The action in 2 was still far better than just about any other movie out there, but nothing matched the nightclub scene in 1. It's pretty much perfect.

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

Mr Shiny Pants posted:

This is what I also thought, so the mob after him already makes it hard enough, why also get yourself kicked out of that club?

Wick knew that he would probably be killed for breaking Continental rules, and just didn't care at that point. He was committed to retiring, but Santino was never going to let Wick live, and on top of that, was taunting him by sitting right in front of him at the Continental and showing that he could just wait Wick out. If there's no way out of the situation, why not take out Santino when he's sitting right in front of John and being an rear end in a top hat?

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

DrunkPanda posted:

I liked this movie a lot more than the first one, but one thing that annoyed me was how John Wick's reputation seemed to change from one minute to the next.

One minute he is "the Boogeyman", who everyone is terrified of. The next minute, he is "that punk Johnny, who I bet I could take easily in a fight" and everyone starts taunting him and thinks they can kill him easily... It didn't make any sense....

Like, if somebody had said "Anyone that can take Fedor Emilianko (in his prime) in a fight one on one, I will give them 100 million", you would barely find anybody that would even be willing to take that challenge. But somebody puts a bounty on John Wick, who has the reputation of being the scariest assassin in the world, and everyone and their mother thinks they are going to collect that bounty?! What would have made sense is if everyone had been like "gently caress that, I'm out" and the main villain ended up having nobody willing to take on the bounty. But instead, all of these idiots act like it's the easiest possible thing, trying to kill John Wick.

The difference between a sanctioned fight against Fedor and trying to assassinate someone is that any punk with a gun potentially COULD take out John Wick. As badass as he is, when he's engaging in gunfights with other people, he's still a human being and he drat well could have died at any moment. Of course he's the main character, so that's not going to happen, but in this movie's universe I can buy that there's plenty of assassins who would want to take him out. Anyone with a gun has a chance, however small. Whoever managed to kill Wick would gain so much fame, power and respect in the underworld.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

That being said, I wish there had been just one or two moments where someone chose not to get into a fight with Wick. I always grin a bit at that scene in JW1 where Francis the doorman takes the night off and allows Wick into the Red Circle without a fuss. Smartest man in the movie.

• Locked thread