Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

I said most of this in the review thread, but movie rules. It's appropriate he goes to Italy, because it felt like some kind of giallo-action hybrid. Or more, some combination of Italian giallo and a Suzuki Seijun movie, but with more gun-fu and judo.

I have zero complaints, this movie delivered in every way I wanted. Wait, actually, one: it would've been dope in the art museum shootout if John head-shot some goon in front of a modern 'white on white' painting and left an AbEx-looking blood splatter.

Also Common was great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Jose Oquendo posted:

40m? That's it? Wow. It didn't show at all. I saw this today. loving loved it.

Trying to sort out budgets for films always blows my mind. I watched Neon Demon recently, and say what you will about it as a film but it's goddamn gorgeous. And cost $7 million. I mean, its locations didn't seem that crazy, and certainly there wasn't much in the way of staged action or expensive actors (though Keanu was in it), but that's insanely cheap regardless.

They did a lot with $40m, but I believe it. I hope it does well, because it's the most fun theater-going experience I've had in months.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

achillesforever6 posted:

I was thinking of the whole Greek Mythology analogies in this movie and I think Winston is really a dead ringer for Hades, lord of the underworld, controls the main wealth and currency of said underworld, fair ruler who is a stickler for the law, and has a guy in his employ named Charon.

Also, Ian McShane in general comes off as a god or king in most things. Casting him as Odin in American Gods makes 1000% sense. He's superhumanly imposing.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Edit: the Continental honour system is also incredibly similar to Bushido, especially as depicted in old samurai films. Wick is pretty much an aging ronin who gets dragged back to deal with upstart new daimyo who think they're going to be the next shogun.

47 Ronin confirmed as John Wick prequel.

My hope for a third movie is that John operates among all the underground malcontents of this assassin guild world. It stands to reason that a ton of people would have been excommunicated for some reason or another. And John becomes their king.

I seriously hope they can wrap up John's story in one movie, though. Not everything needs to be a 6+ film mega-franchise. An extremely good trilogy about this character that holds to an ending would be refreshing. If the director wants to make more, do something different. Create a different character, set it somewhere else, try something new. Better that than John W7CK: Everyone is Tired Now.

...ugh. Now I'm imagining John Wick: Origins. What I imagine is bad.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

an adult beverage posted:

John Wick 2 owns, this is the best action movie since John Wick 1.

What is John Wick 1 the best action film since?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

FreudianSlippers posted:

Great film, I hope he goes to Hong Kong in the third one and they go full on John Woo.

I was hoping Tokyo, so it can riff on Tokyo Drifter some more. I just really want a scene of suited-up John Wick walking in the snow after dispatching like 50 yakuza.

• Locked thread