Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!
Just FYI you can totally get bulletproof suits that easily stop handgun fire.

http://garrisonbespoke.com/custom-suits/bulletproof-suit/

http://www.digitaltrends.com/cool-tech/liquid-body-armor/

http://www.popsci.com/suit-these-3-pieces-bulletproof-businesswear

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I hope in the next movie, Wick's out in the woods somewhere like Maine and we see him gently caress up a bunch of mooks guerilla-style with just an old hunting shotgun, some basic handguns, and a bunch of nasty improvised stuff like mines made from black powder and rusty nails and stuff. It'd be a fun change of pace from high-brow city fights.

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003

Lobok posted:

I kinda like to think that he spared Common because Common bought him a drink.

And because Common was Gianna's bodyguard. Earlier when Cassian (Common) asked Wick if he was working that night, Wick was all like "''Fraid so" after he'd killed the person Cassian was supposed to be guarding. Wick knows that Cassian wasn't initially part of the plot to against him, and that Cassian was just trying to kill him because that's part of the territory of being a gun for hire.

Ruby got killed because she was sent there specifically to tie up loose ends by killing Wick.

For a movie with as ludicrous a mythos as it has, they actually manage to keep it fairly logical in it's motivational consistency.

Tumble fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Feb 21, 2017

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003

Filthy Hans posted:

Ruby didn't die, she would have died in seconds from a severed aorta. Remember the golden rule of action movies: no one dies off-screen.

Nah, I think she's definitely dead. Wick is very deliberate in the movies; if somebody is a direct threat to him, he maims them or kills them, but he broadcasts his intent either way quite clearly. Also, an injury to your heart isn't always instantly fatal.

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

The former. John may have broken the main rule, but that doesn't mean his personal friendship with Winston is suddenly invalid.

It also shows the pure reverence Winston has for Wick - Winston has never thought that Wick wouldn't persevere and be the last man standing. Winston recognizes the sheer force of nature that is John Wick, and stays out of the way as much as he can.

I think the marker was Winston telling Wick "I have to enforce the rules but I am betting on you to figure this whole mess out", but I think when Wick cashes in the marker, it's going to be Wick gettting very, very little compared to what he used to be able to call in. It'll be a tiny shack full of old guns, rather than a gun sommelier at a hotel safehouse.

Tumble fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Feb 21, 2017

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
Reeve's already is a Highlander.

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003

Lobok posted:

To be fair, if the action scene doesn't last very long you wouldn't expect law enforcement to arrive immediately. In reality it can take quite a while for something to be noticed, then reported, and then have someone be dispatched. Movies and TV shows always have different ideas of when the law shows up. Some have insta-cops and some seem to exist in lawless wildlands.

If 3 or 4 people call the police and say "There is a gun fight happening in a club/church parking lot/public area" the police will be there in a matter of minutes. Doesn't matter what city.

I imagine they could actually get held down by private security, but not for more than a few minutes.

Also, I haven't seen anybody mention this as far as neat plot details in Chapter 2, but I like how they much detail they put into showing how useful the services at The Continental are to a world-class hitman: he's got access to a custom tailored bullet-proof suit, extremely detailed blueprints to make plans with, a gun sommelier, and they're basically franchises so Wick seemed to be able to enjoy access to these things world-wide.

I think it's a fair point to say it's not quite as riveting a plot point as a dead puppy (and of course I don't mean that sarcastically, I think it was great character motivation in the first movie) but after seeing Chapter 2 again, I enjoyed it even more. It's a solid ending; Wick is officially cast out of the world he's been fighting to leave, and they did a good job of showing what the benefits of that world meant to those allowed access to them.

If/when they do Chapter 3, it's probably going to be brutal. They escalated the violence quite bit in this with the knives and the shotguns.

Tumble fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Feb 25, 2017

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003

LegoMan posted:

I can't remember did he kill anyone in that opening? I remember a lot of beating the shits out of.

I think he was just maiming most of them. He didn't really appear to give a poo poo if they lived or died but Wick's proven himself pretty lethal at a split-seconds notice so I kinda figure if they don't show him actively breaking necks and headshotting that he didn't explicitly intend to kill them.

He also garroted and ran people down in that scene so he wasn't trying to leave them alive either, though.

Tumble fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Feb 27, 2017

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003

Basebf555 posted:

That's kinda how I read the situation with Viggo in the first movie. He gives up his son's location because he's got a loaded gun in his face, but then once Wick kills him, Viggo couldn't just say "oh well, he deserved it". To allow someone, even John Wick, to murder his own son and walk away would be just as suicidal as taking him on to someone like Viggo.

Nah, Wick would have let Viggo go if he hadn't gone and killed Marcus. And Viggo wasn't wrong to kill Marcus either; Marcus flat out lied to Viggo and could have saved his son numerous times.

I think the underworld in these movies gives people a pass if they wimp out over going up against Wick.

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
Marcus at Wick's wife's funeral, so they seemed pretty close.

(I watched John Wick like 5 times in the month before JW2 came out; none of my friends had seen it and none of them knew how rad it was.)

Tumble fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Feb 28, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003

Basebf555 posted:

I get where you're coming from on this, and its definitely important for the action not to get too repetitive, but at the same time I like the fact that Wick has a very identifiable fighting style and that he has go-to moves within that style.

All of the hand to hand stuff(including the moves that end with a bullet) is great because its much more realistically paced than a lot of other action movies. The opening fight scene comes off as kinda slow until you really start paying attention to every movement and you realize that Wick moves extremely deliberately. When he's tussling with a guy he's feeling around for leverage, then once he has it he puts them into a vulnerable position and delivers the final blow. That flip is one of his bread and butter moves because he's got a guy's momentum going one way and he's using it to get them on the ground, so because its extremely effective it makes sense that he would use it more than just once or twice.

The taxi fight also has my favorite "Don't Bother Fighting The Big Guys" scene since Raiders of the Lost Ark, where Wick just kneecaps the poor guy. And then it flashes to Stormare's character, who had been listening to the fighting earlier, with a nervous "oh poo poo" look on his face.

• Locked thread