Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
I hope that in 3 we have more than 3 people who fully understand that loving with John Wick is a bad idea from the get go. I loved Chapter 2, but more people need to fully appreciate the repercussions of crossing a guy who demonstrably performed his Herculean labors and is just trying to walk away in peace.

More scenes of Smart Illuminati Gangsters explaining just how dumb Stupid Illuminati Gangsters are being is what I'm saying. We know about attacking the Boogeyman and stabbing the Devil in the back, but please more Ian McShane exasperated mythological metaphors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Tenzarin posted:

Just how many times can his wife die? The next movie is gonna be John Wick vs his wife who was never dead because shes a member of the High Table. Was it the high table or high chair?

I assume that if he were to see her before they're both out of the assassin game she'll disappear. Not even the saddest gun music will again ply the fates.

MariusLecter posted:

Think piece: Is Helen, John Wicks wife, the new Martha and Thomas Wayne?

Due to the actions of Theon she is the face that launched a thousand bullets.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
I thought about it, but being his father seems a little too on the nose. An uncle or the guy who brought John Wick into the world of Illuminati Crime makes more sense to me.

Also I did not know that Ian McShane is 74. Hope I look that good at 74.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Lord Lambeth posted:

I saw it with a bunch of friends. It was fun. Though I recall at one point, Santino stated in the narration that he had every assassin in New York out to get John Wick, at which point the movie cut to a very recognizable Montreal landmark.

The weakest character is whoever that mute woman is, she's basically useless.

Ruby Rose is only the weakest character because by the time she does anything but background hench you're already anticipating Common and Keanu's fight. She's also overshadowed by her boss being the Theon of the movie, and she keeps trying to cock block you from seeing John Wick kill that fucker.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Another thing I liked is that Keanu is the only person I have ever heard speak in several different languages and keep their cadence, tone, and general vocal styling absolutely identical.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Paragon8 posted:

I'll echo you.

The first movie was just so incredibly good. 2 is still a solid movie.

The impossible mission of this one felt way too easy compared to all the build up. If it wasn't for the double cross Wick would have been in and out with minimal effort.

Also the bulletproof suit kind of felt like a bridge too far

This was less impossible mission, more insane target that if you get caught means you're a dead man. The only reason even John Wick would take the job is because he was forced to. The risk vs reward was way too high for anyone else good enough to do the job. Also about the only reason John Wick could pull it off was because the target understood the futility of fighting. Of course he then proceeds to follow up the mission only he could walk out of unscathed by being noticed by virtue of being John Wick.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
I do like that everyone who knows about the marker and the job thinks it's hosed up. Even the idiot who calls in the marker.

Though when he said that if John had stayed retired he never would have called in the marker he was clearly full of poo poo. If John's wife hadn't died before his dad the dumb gently caress would have done the one thing worse than Theon killing that puppy.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Lobok posted:

This movie looked crazy good. The entire museum portion at the end, especially the Enter the Dragon-inspired hall of mirrors portion, was absolutely gorgeous. You come to John Wick for the standard-setting gunplay action but it decides to give you sumptuous visuals as well. This is a mid-budget movie here ($40 mil) and it shows off Rome, it showcases the beautiful WTC transit station, and the museum, to say nothing of the different hotel locations and looks leagues better than most action movies.

If I remember interviews I saw with the directors, by doing all that prep work for the good action they do it's actually fairly cheep to film since they only have to do a couple takes or so. Keanu doing all the poo poo himself also makes it so they don't have to worry about 2nd units and doing multiple cameras and editing tricks to hide the stunt doubles as well.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
My knowledge of sign language is all but non existent, but I figured Ruby Rose's janky sign language was an intentional thing. An ASL variant due to Illuminati Assassin cultural drift from the rest of the world.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

The distributors sat on it, apparently they were going to wait and see how it did in other markets before they decided what to do with it. They hadn't even submitted it for classification when it opened in the US. Word is that they were thinking about waiting to publish it direct-to-DVD until the fans flooded their social media.

Did they win the distribution rights in a poker game and not have any idea what John Wick was because all their other distribution rights are for Korean Arthouse movies filmed in Spanish?

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Up until late last year director Chad Stahelski had been saying that the John Wick story was going to be a trilogy but when he was asked a few weeks ago whether they would consider making more than 3 JW movies he said "I leave that to the audience. It’s really up to their palette and appetite for John Wick."
http://lrmonline.com/news/exclusive-lrm-interview-director-chad-stahelski-for-john-wick-2

My hope is that if they can't think of any more good reasons for dragging him out of retirement then they don't try and force it.

Given the mythological theme, it feels more likely that by the end of the 3rd movie John Wick is back in a much changed game, having accepted hi fate. I mean, the happiest ending to Greek Myth that I can remember is Odysseus returning home an old man after 10 years of hell and then having his dog die as soon as it saw him. But hey, get got to be king for a couple of years after that!

I just hope this doesn't turn into Sisyphus and John Wick's bolder is his impending retirement.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Markers are literal blood debts. Whether or not the guy holding it is still part of the system or on the run, it's still of the same value.

Edit: The Continentals are simply the regional business/accounting/banking hubs for the Illuminati Criminal Empire. Being excommunicated means you no longer have access to Holy Ground or logistical support. Doubloons and Markers are hard currency, so if you have those in your possession you still have the ability to use them. Like if North Korea or Iran had a fist full of American Dollars, they can still use those Dollars to buy things despite being outside the good graces of the Federal Reserve system and the nation of the United States.

Gyges fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Feb 22, 2017

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

NmareBfly posted:

This is all speculation for now but the impression I got was that John's doubloons are not usable anymore, in that he should be denied service by anyone that would otherwise take them.

He can't buy from the store, but he can pay someone directly if they're willing to take the doubloon. Like when he dropped the doubloon in the panhandler's cup, yes he gave the name John Wick, but the payment was made outside the Continental system.

Doubloons are sort of a reputation calculator anyway. Whether or not John Wick is in the good graces of the system, his reputation remains thus the physical embodiment of that reputation remains.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
I'm assuming that Akoni is going to play a big role in helping John out in 3. The Italian siblings were going to take a bunch of his territory and enterprises, and they were quite clear there wasn't poo poo he could do about it. Now John's helped out Akoni and helped out Fishburne's character as well. He also made peace with the Russians before everything went down. My guess is the Council gets almost completely refreshed and the new council gives John his total out. Of course there will still be dudes who hold grudges against him, likely a couple people on the council, if they want to do another movie or two.

At this point though, the only revenge motivations left are helping out his former apprentice, helping out his former tutor, a long lost kid, or maybe some Equalizer bonding with a broken kid thing. I guess someone from his dead wife's family could come to him with some sort of Taken situation going on.

It would be kind of cool to see John Wick unleashed in another part of the world where nobody knows who he is and the bad guys can't figure out why none of their underworld contacts will have anything to do with them. Might be kind of hard to pull that out to a full movie though if they don't have an army of dudes to throw at John Wick though.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
I hope they never mention anything more concrete about the impossible task than they already have. There's no way they'll ever make a movie that adequately lives up to the hype of the imagination.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

My favorite part was when John shot a guy

Sorry you took a bathroom break while John was leaving the subway. Bad potty time choice, friend.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Collateral posted:

Oh future twist

Winston had Helen killed, probably by Dafoe. Helen was an associate of Winston's and was one of the two placed to protect/watch JW. When Winston wanted JW brought back into play, she refused. Winston is being set up as the biggest bad of the series, and what is the worst thing to happen to JW?

I base this entirely on the failure of the suicide attempt + other things.

One thing that really doesn't add up is why Theon had no idea who "The Man, The Legend, The Motherfucking Myth" was. Unless he did. Or it is retconned.

drat good movies, keep it up.

1) Winston is one of the only people in the entire Illuminati Crime World who seems to fully understand the absolute, biblical level, folly in crossing John Wick. Others sort of understand, but only Winston makes it clear that it's so much worse than they thought. Viggo sort of knew, but then he went and crossed John Wick with the thought he could get away with it. Winston would have to be very stupid to think he was the exception.

If I had to guess, Winston is a relative of either John Wick or Helen. The way he actually relishes John destroying those who cross him is too visceral. Maybe if he was John's mentor or something.

2)John Wick was out of the Assassin game for over 5 years, happily married to his wife. Since Theon was pretty young when he hosed with the wrong man it's not that unreasonable that he wouldn't know who John Wick was. I'm sure even hard core Russian gangsters who contract with John Wick try and raise their kids without fully immersing them in the world of Illuminati hit men. Plus given John's well earned reputation, his isn't a name people are going to be too eager to mention, like the Boogeyman.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Basebf555 posted:

I guess we don't know enough about Marcus and Wick's relationship. Did Viggo know that killing Marcus would elicit such a strong response from Wick? I'd say probably yes but there's no way to know for sure, Viggo was under the impression that Marcus would actually be willing to kill Wick so he obviously didn't realize how close they were.

Viggo asks Marcus if the contract will be an issue because he knows they're friends. Marcus then tells Viggo that the offer is big enough for him to be a professional.

So Viggo knew he was killing John Wick's buddy for helping John Wick out. Then he taunts John about it over the phone.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
The High Table and the Continental are linked but separate entities. The High Table seem to be the governing body of the vast criminal underworld, but the Continental system is it's religion.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Mr Shiny Pants posted:

This is what I also thought, so the mob after him already makes it hard enough, why also get yourself kicked out of that club?

Remember that this is all just a few days after his wife's funeral, and Santino went and blew up all his physical keepsakes of their time together. We saw at the beginning that John was, understandably, depressed as gently caress and then Daisy was delivered to him. He found a little joy in life for a couple days, and then Theon took that from him. Now Santino has done the same.

All of John Wick's motivation in the movies is a combination of being tired of all this bullshit and depressed, but also being swept up in an endless rage at those who have done this to him. Winston's continuous references to John as The Devil speak to this. John sat upon the pinnacle of the underworld, but his wife redeemed him and showed him the light, her death cast him out of that light and into a pit of darkness, and now all these mother fuckers are poking at him when all he wants is to be left alone. They've taken every glimmer of brightness that he's found in the gloom, and with each indignity he comes closer to being that which he was and which he sought to not be. Those brief outbursts of rage he has in the movies? That's the Boogeyman.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Hand Knit posted:

Put this next to the couple times in the movie Wick offers some variation of "you can walk away or we can both die."

I really like that everyone else given the choice holds their wound and gives up, whereas when John is presented a similar choice he barely hesitates when choosing two tickets for the ferryman.

Then again we did start this whole thing with him barely giving a poo poo and in mourning. Everyone could have gone on about their business as successful and living criminals, but they just just had to keep poking the bear.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

OAquinas posted:

I suspect it'll get "fixed in the shop" the same way the dead dog got fixed.

Bent frame, no pane of glass unbroken, lights gone, engine barely running, front end nearly crushed, bulletholes...really gonna get a "grandfather's axe" scenario there.

The Muscle Car of Theseus.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
The thing is, you can't retire after a few jobs make you rich. John is one of the only people to ever actually retire, and he had to complete a legendary, impossible task to do so. Which is why the doubloons can be such a ridiculous currency, everybody good enough to have doubloons already has more than enough regular money.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
I do like that Willem Defoe and Keanu are pretty much the only people in the entire franchise to use a rifle for long range attacks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Up until that point attacking someone inside the Continental was the one unbreakable rule that not even John Wick would openly break since it's a 100% death sentence that no one could ever escape or re-negotiate or buy their way out of. D'Antonio genuinely thought he'd outmaneuvered John and had reached absolute sanctuary. Note that John had fully accepted this fate and was calmly waiting for Winston to execute him later on, only for Winston break the rules and let him start running.

It's important to remember that all of Santino's actions are predicated on the rules of the secret world, which he thinks protect him. By the rules he can't attack his sister to take her seat, however by those same rules he can use John Wick to break those rules while his own hands stay "clean". He thinks of the rules as a legalistic order on par with the physical rules of the universe, and as a result fails to comprehend his own folly.

Virtually everyone tells him that calling in John Wick's marker is super stupid, but since Wick owes him by the rules he just can't understand that. Further he believes that the rules involving the secret crime high table, the Continental, and various other pillars of super assassin society will bind everyone. Which is part of the comic irony of invoking the preternatural force that is John Wick to break those rules. Once you force a murder wizard to work their magic the mundane rules of nature no longer exist.

• Locked thread