Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005

achillesforever6 posted:

My favorite gag/joke in this movie was

Franco Nero getting all apprehensive and asking Wick if he was in Rome to assassinate the Pope and when said no he allowed Wick to use the Continental and its perks; glad the illuminati mafia has a line at least.

See...I didn't take the joke that way at all but I still laughed. The way I interpreted the joke initially was, John Wick has never been here and who the gently caress could possibly be a bigger target for the legendary John Wick himself to come to town to kill? The fact that he doesn't even conceive it could possibly be Gianna shows how crazy an idea it is for anyone to even attempt to take her out that the biggest target he can come up with is The Pope in the #2 spot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005
I have a feeling that those who work in such customized and exotic professions follow and are very aware of someone of Wick's status and they've probably worked internationally their entire careers. I'm sure there is a Continental in Japan for example and the Sommelier spent time there or trained there. There are certain figures in one's professional field who are always on your radar of interest and conversation even if your chances of interaction with them are exclusive, limited & minimal or non-existent. If Bill Gates walked into a tech company, somebody would know Gates on sight and be able to process and digest the significance of his appearance on site while managing to be a professional. Same goes in this world.

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005
I kind of feeling that we're overthinking the marker - I personally took it that Winston was giving him a tool in which if there was somebody powerful enough to save John's life and stave off the High Council while John is comfortable enough to being under someone's thumb again, he could present the marker and try to bargain with it. The only one I could think of is another High Council member. The council doubled the contract on John because he killed one of their (barely seated) board members. There isn't anything to indicate that they didn't do this out of anything but principal and being reactionary. Maybe John gets audience with someone powerful and sway them to his version of the events (corroborated by more intel and Winston) and that person goes to bat for John...for a price.

In the intern, I can see John adapting to a lot of warfare theories of Sun Tzu & holding them off with his unpredictability and strategy. He may even temporarily disrupt their banking system while he does so.

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005

LegoMan posted:

I can't remember did he kill anyone in that opening? I remember a lot of beating the shits out of.

I'm assuming these ended in fatalities but he killed approx 20 men.
John's head count for the entire movie I had clocked at roughly 121 upon re-watch.

• Locked thread