Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Vermain posted:

That depends on how much they're willing to invest in their actors becoming competent enough at martial arts/gun handling. Bad action scene cinematography is almost always a dead giveaway of an ill-prepared actor. By comparison, there's plenty of footage available on the internet of Keanu at the gun range getting his muscle memory down to the point where he really can pull out a gun and plug three people in two seconds.

Yeah I think what elevates John Wick above other action movies is that most of the principles, from the director to the producer to the star, are people who've spent a significant portion of their careers in the nitty gritty of action movies. Hell, half the bit players in the first movie are stuntmen from the Matrix films. Keanu Reeves seems to enjoy training with weaponry and martial arts to the point that the guy is probably fairly capable of throwing down and doing some damage IRL (despite being 50+).You can also see this in the Raid films, where the entire cast is dudes who have spent their lives training and fighting together, elevating the films despite their pretty middling plots (the impending US remakes are going to look horrible by comparison, no matter who they cast). Compare this to say, Taken 3, where you have a 14 camera cut sequence of the hero jumping a fence.

Dedication to the craft shows and it pays off when all the pieces come together like this. As long as they can avoid running the tropes into the ground or bloviating the mythology I'd happily shill out to see another three John Wick films in the theater.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

Gyges posted:

Given the mythological theme, it feels more likely that by the end of the 3rd movie John Wick is back in a much changed game, having accepted hi fate. I mean, the happiest ending to Greek Myth that I can remember is Odysseus returning home an old man after 10 years of hell and then having his dog die as soon as it saw him. But hey, get got to be king for a couple of years after that!

I just hope this doesn't turn into Sisyphus and John Wick's bolder is his impending retirement.

Pretty sure the series will end with Wick in a Winston-type role where he has an immeasurable amount of power in the assassin world and is nigh-untouchable, but is stuck running some sort of functionary empire of necessary services that allow the hired guns to do their thing and therefore he can never truly "retire" or separate himself from that world. This of course after McShane sacrifices himself to secure Wick's position, adding a bit more emotional weight to the burden.

Either that or he murders literally anyone who might have a reason to come after him and then retires to some remote cabin somewhere. I really do hope they tie it up one more movie and then let it be, I don't know if there's enough "retirement, betrayal, vengeance" stuff here to sustain another 3 movies.

Tumble posted:

I hope in the next movie, Wick's out in the woods somewhere like Maine and we see him gently caress up a bunch of mooks guerilla-style with just an old hunting shotgun, some basic handguns, and a bunch of nasty improvised stuff like mines made from black powder and rusty nails and stuff. It'd be a fun change of pace from high-brow city fights.

Seconding this. Maybe not for the entire movie, but a segment or two of some mooks thinking they have Wick cornered out of his element and then he goes full Rambo on them would be pretty fun.

Jerkface posted:

Im just hoping that the international flavor of john wick chapter 3 means we get the raid crew vs wick. Would love to see: raid crew, donnie yen, and beat takeshi in that poo poo.

Also this. One of the things about Chapter 2 that stood out for me was how workmanship-like all the fight choreography was for Common and Ruby Rose. They did well and held their own (Ruby Rose's fight was kind of a damp squid in comparison to the Cassian/Wick throwdown, but whatever), and I even think Common's one-note schtick of quiet brooding worked for the role of Cassian. But up against Keanu it was really distinct that he was concentrating on hitting his marks, which made his moves look a bit stilted, while Keanu was much more fluid and natural looking. Not a surprise, but I would love to see Keanu go up against someone like Donnie Yen in the Chapter 3.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

Jose Oquendo posted:

So Common is totally going to be in the sequel, right?

Yeah I think that's implied. Probably gonna see some sort of "professional courtesy" team-up, given that both he and Wick seem to be on the outs with the established assassin world, to varying degrees.

• Locked thread