Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I love the cast in this series. We get two guys from The Wire, Kingpin's right-hand man from Daredevil, Theon, Peter Serafinowicz, John Leguizamo, and Ian McShane. Plus the sequel has the Keanu Konnection with not just Laurence Fishburne from the Matrix but Peter Stormare from Constantine. And then to show off I guess they also get the original goddamn Django.

And I would not really have been excited about Common being in the film because I haven't ever seen him get a meaty enough role to care about him one way or the other but drat, dude is now one half of an instant classic action movie rivalry!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Lord Lambeth posted:

The weakest character is whoever that mute woman is, she's basically useless.

She was like Theon in the first one. You expect something elaborate or especially gruesome for them after the build-up but really they're just trash who get taken down pretty quickly. Seems like the sumo guy was a tougher fight than Ruby Rose, and that was just in a montage.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

darth_pizza posted:

Haven't seen it, deeply enjoyed the first one.

Word on the street is my favorite actor of all time, - no not Ian Mcshane, though he's up there - Peter Stormare is in this and he's great. Confirm/deny?

He's in the beginning as a link to the first film and as a way to introduce or re-introduce the myth of John Wick. He even says some lines verbatim that were said in the first film. But that's it, he's only in the beginning.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

This movie looked crazy good. The entire museum portion at the end, especially the Enter the Dragon-inspired hall of mirrors portion, was absolutely gorgeous. You come to John Wick for the standard-setting gunplay action but it decides to give you sumptuous visuals as well. This is a mid-budget movie here ($40 mil) and it shows off Rome, it showcases the beautiful WTC transit station, and the museum, to say nothing of the different hotel locations and looks leagues better than most action movies.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

LadyPictureShow posted:

I just have one question about the subway fight with Common. How the Hell did they get on the same car when they were standing on opposite platforms?

Looked like the platforms were close enough to support boarding/disembarking from both sides of the train. It's a pretty, uh, "common" thing.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

MariusLecter posted:

The ones that screamed at the fountain as they undoubtedly hit bystanders or the ones that ran in terror the second the train doors opened?

As irresponsible as that fountain scene may have been to us normies in the real world it didn't look like they hit anyone but correct me if I'm wrong.

Really, these films are actually much better than most action films about keeping the innocent casualties to a minimum (or to zero). Like I love Ronin, but man, random people get hosed up in that film.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Time to get learnt on some art history, motherfuckers!

You should turn this into a general Internet post of some kind so non-Goons can enjoy it (unless you already did, I dunno). I copied it all into a Word file I'm going to send to a couple of buddies I saw the movie with.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Tenzarin posted:

They spent so much time reshowing the bad guy infront of daddies art collection, I was expecting John Wick to blow it up.

I half-expected (wished) a part where he shot a bunch of guys whose heads were lined up in a row and carefully avoided shooting the statue heads in between.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

It occurred to me watching that scene that he'd specifically left the knife in Common and told him "If you pull it out you'll bleed to death immediately" buy when he fought Rose he stabbed her in what looked to be the same place but then deliberately pulled the knife out. She dicked him around so she didn't get any professional courtesy extended to her.

I kinda like to think that he spared Common because Common bought him a drink.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Tumble posted:

[re: Cassian/Wick fight]

And because Common was Gianna's bodyguard. Earlier when Cassian (Common) asked Wick if he was working that night, Wick was all like "''Fraid so" after he'd killed the person Cassian was supposed to be guarding. Wick knows that Cassian wasn't initially part of the plot to against him, and that Cassian was just trying to kill him because that's part of the territory of being a gun for hire.

That was the great part about their fights. They're not necessarily enemies, just rivals or competitors. They have to fight but not for personal reasons. Why would Wick kill him when he could incapacitate him instead? That way Cassian fulfills his role, and who would argue that fighting to within a hair's breath of death for a ward who already died wasn't him fulfilling the role of loyal bodyguard, but it also means Wick can get away. Plus, in the meta sense, it leaves Cassian available to team up with Wick in the sequel!!!

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Seems like markers are a general honour/contract thing among hitmen whereas excommunication is being kicked out of the Continental system.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Dead Snoopy posted:

I kind of feeling that we're overthinking the marker - I personally took it that Winston was giving him a tool in which if there was somebody powerful enough to save John's life and stave off the High Council while John is comfortable enough to being under someone's thumb again, he could present the marker and try to bargain with it.

This was my take as well. Winston gives him an empty one to do with what he may.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Frank Viola posted:

This was a great chapter, and exactly what I wanted in a sequel to the first installment. It checked all the boxes that made the first one a great movie in my eyes, and really delved further into the John Wick mythos.

I really enjoyed how the beginning of the movie places John at the end of his confrontation with the Russian mob. The Russians know he's pissed, they know he's coming, and they've basically accepted their fate. John shows up, kills a few people,walks in the de facto leader's office, and says "It's over." That part cemented what the events in the first movie were motivated by. Vengeance and Personal Vandetta, plain and simple. He walks away, he's made his point, and he got his car back.

Yeah, the events of the first movie are not Wick going "the Russian mob needs to die". He wanted three guys (and his car) and when those three were dead and his car was returned then nobody else needed to suffer. The huge body count was only from people directly throwing themselves at Wick to protect those three idiots and the car. Kevin Nash for instance, he was spared because he was just part of general night club security, not protecting Wick's targets directly.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

To be fair, if the action scene doesn't last very long you wouldn't expect law enforcement to arrive immediately. In reality it can take quite a while for something to be noticed, then reported, and then have someone be dispatched. Movies and TV shows always have different ideas of when the law shows up. Some have insta-cops and some seem to exist in lawless wildlands.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Stop sleeping on Killzone 2.

A good-hearted but mildly corrupt prison guard has to team up with the framed prisoner undercover cop who is also the bone marrow match for his daughter with leukemia!!!!!

Totally. Not sure how much crossover there is with this thread and the Martial Arts movie thread but y'all need to watch this movie if you like action films.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

"$150 Bazillion"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Electromax posted:

Yeah, I liked that one too. It "mirrors" the beginning of the scene entrance.

The very end of that second gif is just so good. Our POV is backing up but then simultaneously also going forward once the door opens.

• Locked thread