Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Coldforge posted:

7-245: Trey Millard, FB Oklahoma
Goons said he was great and got me all excited. Turns out he wasn't, and he's a backup or something for the Chiefs now. F

For whatever it's worth I think he's just out of the league, the Chiefs signed him to a futures contract in January before last season and I don't remember him being on the practice squad and he definitely wasn't on the roster so...

I'll do a less lazy Chiefs version I guess.

Round 1: Dee Ford OLB - Auburn

Was just awful, like completely awful his first two years (outside of a game abusing DJ Fluker or whoever was lining up at RT for the Chargers). I can't find the better version of this gif that just speaks for itself without the meme stuff but this is kinda his first 2 years in the league:

Having pointed that out he did do a little work this year. Mostly against terrible tackles but there are a lot of terrible tackles in the NFL and beating up on the bad ones is something you should do. I have minor hopes for him, based on current production I'll call it a C+ so far. I don't know, I can see Chiefs fans arguing C or C- might be closer, but he's not a bad player exactly and he is improving. So far I think we can all agree he wasn't really worth the pick though.

Round 2: Alex Smith QB - Utah

Eh, yeah no round 2 pick this year.

Round 3: Phillip Gains DB - Rice

Gaines had everyone excited his first two years but he was always hurt. He showed flashes of good solid corner play although he was never going to be a shutdown guy. Problem is he was hurt most of the time. He was healthy for the majority of 2016 and we...uh...found out he isn't that good of a corner. Likely won't be on the team next year. D for the few times he looked good.

Round 4: De'Anthony Thomas RB/WR/Athlete - Oregon

Tiny dude who was electric in college. He's probably just too tiny to really be much in the NFL. The Chiefs are trying to make him a WR and he's not really worth it so far, in 2016 almost every offensive touch he got I wished went to someone else. They tried to do some gadget stuff with him his first couple of years and it was never all that successful. He does have some value as a returner. I'll call it a C- just because he can return the ball well and we didn't know about Tyreek Hill at the time. I also noticed his little rear end doing some work as a gunner, so he does have some value as a general special teamer even if he isn't returning kicks.

Round 5: Aaron Murray QB - Georgia

Late round quarterback, never showed much of anything. Kept Tyler Bray over him so...yeah that just about says it. Doesn't have AJ McCarron's tattoo so D- instead of F.

Round 6: Zach Fulton G - Tennessee

Basically an NFL level backup interior lineman from what I can tell, which is useful but not very. 6th round so C I guess.

Round 6: Laurent Duvarnay-Tardif G - McGill

This guy starting is a pretty big upset, even if he isn't all that great. He went to college in Canada and there's like, maybe 5 guys who did that who ever played in the NFL? Hell I don't know, maybe it's more than that, but all of the realistic recruits with NFL aspirations from Canada play in schools in the states. Interesting guy, he'll get his medical doctorate either this off season or in the next one. He's...an NFL guard. Like, there are several other teams who would like to have him. As a late 6th round pick I'll call him a B.

I'm not as down on this draft as LiquidFriend is as long as we ignore why there wasn't a second round pick to spend. I also grade the late round guys differently which might not be the right thing to do. It's hard to feel good about the first four picks, but getting some backup/borderline starting quality guards moves the overall draft grade to a C for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Volkerball posted:

This draft built the core for a team that went from perennial bottom feeder to perennial super bowl contender. Without a doubt the best draft I've ever seen the Raiders have, and probably somewhere on the list of greatest drafts ever.

I suspect you might be getting ahead of yourself with the perennial super bowl contender but it made me curious so I looked up the Raiders Draft history. I'm not saying you were around for it but I think 1968 is pretty hard to beat for the best draft in franchise history.

Ken Stabler and Art Shell are hall of famers, also a 9 year starter with a couple of pro bowls (back when a pro bowl nod might have meant something) at DB in George Atkinson. Also a shortish career but a fullback who managed to have a 4.8 ypc average with three pro bowl nods in someone named Marv Hubbard.

This is after the Raiders drafted Gene Upshaw the year before and Fred Biletnikoff a couple of years before that. The Raiders did pretty well in the 60s.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Durandal1707 posted:

But yeah, this draft really highlights why i'm not a fan of trading up for players - the Chargers chronically have a lack of depth, especially in the trenches on both sides of the ball. While I can understand trading up for somebody like Attachou over Te'o (now that was stupid), it still leaves you with a lack of depth if you don't knock that pick you traded up for out of the park. Between this and 2015 they got like 4 decent players out of that mix...

This randomly reminded me, there was a minute where Manti Te'o was getting 1st overall talk. It was super early in the draft process. Like before the catfishing stuff came out so before the combine I guess, but I remember there being actually media discussion about the idea.

The draft and the rumors it creates are a weird beast.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
I remember the Cowboys getting a lot of flack for taking Frederick too. If there were a redraft he'd go top 5 and maybe #2?

Hopkins probably goes one, then you've got Leveon Bell, Travis Kelce, and Frederick in some order. Then Sheldon Richardson if you trust him to not be a total idiot, or maybe Tyrann Matthieu if you trust him to not be hurt so much. Who am I missing from that draft who'd be arguable top 5?

e: Oops Trufant for sure.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

sean10mm posted:

Also agility drills and 40 times are relevant to center play exactly never.

In the critics' defense agility drills seem pretty useful when compared to other linemen, like you want these guys to be able to move and change direction in a way your average 300 lb dude cannot. Linemen pulling is a thing in every offense, and being stiff in the hips is generally bad.

10 second splits are probably good to know too, although I have no idea how Frederick did there.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

BlindSite posted:

They need to stop picking super boring teams.

The St Louis rams and falcons were about as exciting as a glass of luke warm water.

I'm sad we'll never get a second Rex Ryan hard knocks. Sure he isn't that great of a coach but goddamn was that season entertaining.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

You can make a pretty good argument he's the 4th best WR in that draft. I think you could probably find a lot of drafts where he would have been the best WR though (assuming last year wasn't indicative of him falling off already).

That was such a crazy good WR draft.

e: Eh, maybe not best receiver in other drafts after looking him up, I thought he had two awesome years instead of just the one. Still I'd be pumped about him going forward if I were a Jags fan, we should let him be happy.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Mar 2, 2017

• Locked thread