Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Conventional wisdom in the NFL says that you need at least three years to properly judge a draft class. This makes sense for a lot of reasons -- rookie contracts are expiring soon, and there is enough time for high-curve positions like cornerback and offensive line to separate themselves from the pack.

With that in mind, let's take a look back three years ago, at the 2014 draft, and see how those picks worked out.

Previous threads: 2013 | 2012 | 2011 | 2010

Seattle Seahawks

Round 1, Pick 32: Traded to Minnesota Vikings for 40th and 108th picks

This was the pick that got the Vikings Teddy Bridgewater. Seattle then packaged the 40th pick and a fifth-rounder to the Lions to move down five spots, which brings us to ...

Round 2, Pick 45: Paul Richardson, WR, Colorado

Showed flashes of brilliance, particularly at the end of last season, when he stepped up in place of an injured Tyler Lockett. Unfortunately, severe injuries derailed his first two years and sapped some key development time. PRich could very well end up a late bloomer, but he has to stay on the field for a sustained period before I can give this a kinder grade. Grade: C+

Round 2, Pick 64: Justin Britt, OT, Missouri

Played his rookie year at right tackle, where he was poo poo. Got moved to left guard in 2015, where he was also poo poo. Got moved to center in 2016, where he was actually pretty decent. Right now is the only player on our O-line who can qualify as "league average." Those first two years, tho. Grade: B-

Round 4, Pick 108: Cassius Marsh, DE, UCLA

Marsh has mostly settled in as rotation/special teams guy. I guess he's okay? I don't pay much attention to special teams coverage. For a fourth-round pick, that's fine. Grade: C+

Round 4, Pick 123: Kevin Norwood, WR, Alabama

I remember being excited about this pick because Norwood was kind of a "name" guy from Bama and he fell further than I expected. Turns out he was actually Real Bad and barely saw the field. Got traded to the Panthers in 2015 and has bounced around the league as a random body since then. Grade: F

Round 4, Pick 132: Kevin Pierre-Louis, LB, Boston College

Another special teams guy. You might remember him from the playoffs as that guy who committed a boneheaded holding penalty, negating a huge Seahawks punt return and ultimately swinging the game in Atlanta's favor. rear end in a top hat. Grade: C-

Round 5, Pick 172: Jimmy Staten, DT, Middle Tennessee State

Sucked, cut in preseason. Grade: F

Round 6, Pick 199: Garrett Scott, OT, Marshall

Had a heart condition that ended his football career before it started. Grade: :smith:

Round 6, Pick 208: Eric Pinkins, S, San Diego State

Spent time on and off the practice squad, never did anything of note. Grade: Whatever

Round 7, Pick 227: Kiero Small, RB, Arkansas

Sucked, cut in camp. Grade: Who cares it's a seventh-round rando

Overall

Woof. This is easily the weakest draft of the John Schneider/Pete Carroll era. The Seahawks were just coming off a Super Bowl win and the main focus was on re-signing their core players. We can see why they'd play it safe with the draft and trade out of the first round, hoping to find some more hidden gems in the later rounds. Unfortunately, almost none of their lottery tickets hit, with Britt being the only starting-caliber player out of this group. Richardson might join him if he ever stays healthy (big if). With the 2017 conversation centering around Seattle's lack of quality depth, it's easy to point at this draft as a big culprit. Too many misfires for me to rate it favorably.

GRADE: D+

So how did your team do in the 2014 draft? Hopefully better than mine.

Benne fucked around with this message at 09:37 on Feb 18, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Oh God I just remembered this Browns draft. Traded up multiple times to land the two most embarrassing first-round picks of the decade.

This whole draft is basically Peak Browns.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Even at the time I was puzzled by the Eric Ebron hype. Like, he was the consensus top TE in that class, but his drop problems were well-documented. Even if you discount drafting him over Lewan/OBJ/Donald, taking a flawed TE 10th overall was just crazypants.

Looking back, that entire TE class was a shitshow. Behind Ebron you had Jace Amaro, Austin Seferian-Jenkins and Troy Niklas, none of whom did anything of note. C.J. Fiedorowicz and Richard Rodgers ended up being the most productive of that lot, and they're JAGs at best.

Benne fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Feb 21, 2017

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

We need a thread for the 2013 draft because woof, what a bunch of stinkers in that first round.

Here's the thread I made last year (obviously archives required) https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3760496

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
What happened to Jarvis Jones, anyway? I remember him being a consensus top-5 pick for a while, but it came out that he had spinal stenosis problems, but still worth gambling on in the first round on talent alone. Then he got to the NFL and has been mediocre at best, certainly not as good as the Draft Breakdown clips I saw from him beforehand.

• Locked thread