Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Durandal1707
Oct 11, 2013
I'll do the Chargers 2014 one real quick:
Round 1, pick 25: Jason Verrett, CB, TCU.

Verrett's been a somewhat up and down pick for me just because of his injury history - his season's ended early two out of the last three years (shoulder and knee injuries) That being said, when he's healthy, he's pretty easily a top 10 corner in the league, with incredible agility and recovering speed, not to mention fine hands. The one year he stayed mostly healthy in 2015, teams didn't even bother throwing in his direction because he usually had his man completely locked up. (and of course they picked on Brandon Flowers who was terrible that season)

I'll say.. A-. When he's healthy, he's a terrific player. it's just a matter of staying on field for him. Sky's the limit otherwise.

Round 2, Pick 50: Jeremiah Attachou, LB, Georgia Tech

One of Tom Telesco's customary trade ups. Attachou is a lot more up and down: he looked good his first two years in the league - not necessarily a super star, but one of those guys that would be a great complimentary pass rusher if he continued developing. For whatever reason though, he didn't see the field very much in 2016. I'll go with a C+, because he looked good his first two years and stalled pretty hard this year. 2017 will probably be the make or break year for him.

Round 3, pick 89: Chris Watt, G, Notre Dame

Was drafted to be converted to a center and be Nick Hardwick's heir apparent. It didn't work out - Watt just wasn't a physically strong enough dude to anchor against most interior pass rushers as either a G or C, and injuries plagued him quite a lot on top of it. Part of the godawful hydra head of centers the Chargers trotted out in 2014 and 15. Wish this pick worked out, but unfortunately it's an F.

Round 5, Pick 165: Ryan Carrethers, NT, Arkansas State

Built exactly to be the big 2-gap NT the Chargers needed since Jamal Williams left, for whatever reason he just hasn't seen the field much - I dunno if it's because the coaching staff didn't trust him or whatever. He's an adequate run stuffer and doesn't give much as a pass rusher. C- I guess.

Rounds 6 & 7: Marion Grice & Tevon Reese, Arizona St and Baylor

I'm lumping these two with each other because neither of them played a regular season down for the Chargers - both got cut in the preseason. I think Grice ended up on the Cardinals at one point but otherwise just whatever.

Overall: Woof. Verrett is a great player when he's healthy and Attaochu has shown a lot of promise, but man, this draft class really sucked aside for those two picks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Durandal1707
Oct 11, 2013

aperion posted:

This draft is where the Chargers rebuild under Tom Telesco really started to derail. The 2013 draft was okay enough to get them back into the playoff scene and even win the wildcard with what was left of the team after the AJ Smith/Norv Turner era came to a close. But this draft left the team bare of any semblance of improvement outside of Jason Verrett. 9-7 for a second time and barely missing the playoffs was generous for how bad the team really was overall, especially on defense.

I still can't believe that team bullshitted out a win against the defending SB champion Seahawks when their run defense and o-line sucked so much. That game owned.

But yeah, this draft really highlights why i'm not a fan of trading up for players - the Chargers chronically have a lack of depth, especially in the trenches on both sides of the ball. While I can understand trading up for somebody like Attachou over Te'o (now that was stupid), it still leaves you with a lack of depth if you don't knock that pick you traded up for out of the park. Between this and 2015 they got like 4 decent players out of that mix...

Durandal1707
Oct 11, 2013

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

We need a thread for the 2013 draft because woof, what a bunch of stinkers in that first round.

Fluker's really terrible now and it's a shame, he looked solid his rookie year.

Durandal1707
Oct 11, 2013

Grittybeard posted:

I remember the Cowboys getting a lot of flack for taking Frederick too. If there were a redraft he'd go top 5 and maybe #2?

Yeah, a ton of people really dumped on the Cowboys at the trade for taking Frederick - IIRC he was considered a round 2 prospect (even though most end of round 1 guys are essentially R2 prospects anyway) and a lot of people weren't in love with his lack of agility. It just out that he was the mauler the Cowboys needed at C and the trade down to get him also netted Terrence Williams.

Also Keenan Allen probably would've been a 1st rounder on pure talent if he hadn't been injured when he tested. Problem was that he's always hurt, as it turned out.

Durandal1707
Oct 11, 2013

sean10mm posted:

That criticism was real dumb even at the time. The entire idea that it's a "OMG REACH WTF LOL" to take what fake draft experts said was a 2nd rounder at the rear end end of the first is deeply stupid on its face.

Also agility drills and 40 times are relevant to center play exactly never.

Plus Center was actually a huge position of need for Dallas anyway - neither Phil Costa or Ryan Cook worked out and Romo was getting killed by pressure up the middle during all of 2012. So you might as well pull the trigger on a guy if you think he's the best player at your pick, and doubly so if he fits a need.

• Locked thread