Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

all-Rush mixtape posted:

Round 6, Pick 181: Alfred Blue
Our number two running back. When Arian Foster went down in 2015, he became the workhorse of the running attack and managed to do pretty well for himself. Easily, EASILY the best value pick of the draft in 2014 for us. A

Going to disagree. Hal is a far better value pick than Blue

This looked like a terrible draft prior to this season, but CJF and Clowney coming alive really saved it. XSF is still pretty bad and we could have had Carr there so bleh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Rick Smith is a pretty known commodity at this point: nails first round picks, can't draft on the second day to save his life, will occasionally find a diamond on day three

And for this he has a job for life because of his relationship with the owner

The worst you can say about him is "took Clowney over Mack" and "took Okoye over Willis" (his one true bust) as far as first round picks go

Since Okoye his first rounders have been

26 - Duane Brown, franchise LT
15 - Brian Cushing, excellent ILB until two separate incidents of an offensive player diving right into his knee. Still good, defensive leader (Maybe should've taken Clay Matthews instead)
20 - Kareem Jackson, looked awful for his first two years but developed into a solid CB, has had a much better career than the other CBs taken after him that I was screaming for
11 - JJ Watt. Heh.
26 - Whitney Mercilus, took a couple years but developed into an elite pass rusher
27 - DeAndre Hopkins, no need to elaborate
1 - Jadeveon Clowney, was looking like an injury bust but this year finally started turning into a monster
16 - Kevin Johnson, probably the best CB on the team already
21 - Will Fuller, we'll see on him. He needs to figure out how to not drop easy touchdowns

Not bad for having only one of those being a top 10 pick

Intruder fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Feb 20, 2017

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

:sigh:

Guess that's why I'm not a GM

But it's mostly nepotism :argh:

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Volkerball posted:

GM's that concern themselves with blowback from retards are the first to lose their jobs for sucking. What did Teddy's brother do in the NFL? How about Bortles and Manziel? Derek had more exposure to quarterbacking at an NFL level in his youth than any QB prospects in NFL history except for maybe Peyton and Eli. And those two were just little kids. Derek was playing high school and college ball with an active, experienced NFL QB a phone call away. That is an absurdly good situation that any young QB would love to be in, regardless of whether or not said QB warranted his draft selection. Mouthbreathers who think that is anything other than a huge asset should not have any sort of role whatsoever in a teams decision making process. I mean gently caress, could you imagine if the Saints passed on Peyton because Archie was trash? I sure as hell hope the Texans have a better reason than that for passing on Carr, because something that stupid should be grounds for getting fired to death and banished from football.

I vaguely remember a bunch of charts comparing Teddy, Bortles, JFF and Carr that made Carr look like a major checkdown artist.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I didn't say he's a checkdown artist, I said he looked like one in college. I don't think anyone (fans I mean) expected him to be able to stretch the field quite as well as he does

Having the second best OL in the NFL probably helps too

e: Ah didn't realize he thew for 5K yards his senior season. But yeah the passing charts that were goign around before the draft showed a huge percentage of his passes within five yards of the LOS

Intruder fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Feb 21, 2017

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

We need a thread for the 2013 draft because woof, what a bunch of stinkers in that first round.

DeAndre Hopkins :smug:

ignore the rest of the Texans draft

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

You might say his rookie name was a flu- :fuckoff:

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

all-Rush mixtape posted:

Hard Knocks should stick with the AFC.

The Texans were fairly boring too aside from Wilfork's custom overalls and CJIII's socks. I guess the whole "is there water in space" thing was endearing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Round 1 (#2): Sadness

Are you doing a Redskins one or a Rams one

• Locked thread