Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

The Chiefs 2014 draft looks like mostly a turd.

Dee Ford is just okay, but they passed on Bridgewater (doesn't look so bad now I guess) and Derek Carr (gently caress you for this, Dorsey) for him. He's almost certainly going to be leaving the team after 2017, so he's been a (pretty predictable) underwhelming choice, but hey he has a cool first step and can beat some low tier Right Tackles.

About the only thing notable from this class is they got their starting RG, Laurent Duvernay-Tardif. He's just okay.

Zach Fulton sucks, De'Anthony Thomas sucks, Aaron Murray is gone, Phillip Gaines has had major knee problems and they sent the 2nd round pick for a below average QB.

What a shitbarn and thank god his drafts got a lot better after that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

Grittybeard posted:

This randomly reminded me, there was a minute where Manti Te'o was getting 1st overall talk. It was super early in the draft process. Like before the catfishing stuff came out so before the combine I guess, but I remember there being actually media discussion about the idea.

The draft and the rumors it creates are a weird beast.
I think that talk was really early on. I don't think the catfishing stuff did a lot beyond scouts saying he's a weird rear end dude.

The National Championship game against Bama really seemed to be the turning point for his stock.

Grittybeard posted:

Round 1: Dee Ford OLB - Auburn

Was just awful, like completely awful his first two years (outside of a game abusing DJ Fluker or whoever was lining up at RT for the Chargers). I can't find the better version of this gif that just speaks for itself without the meme stuff but this is kinda his first 2 years in the league:

Having pointed that out he did do a little work this year. Mostly against terrible tackles but there are a lot of terrible tackles in the NFL and beating up on the bad ones is something you should do. I have minor hopes for him, based on current production I'll call it a C+ so far. I don't know, I can see Chiefs fans arguing C or C- might be closer, but he's not a bad player exactly and he is improving. So far I think we can all agree he wasn't really worth the pick though.

Round 3: Phillip Gains DB - Rice

Gaines had everyone excited his first two years but he was always hurt. He showed flashes of good solid corner play although he was never going to be a shutdown guy. Problem is he was hurt most of the time. He was healthy for the majority of 2016 and we...uh...found out he isn't that good of a corner. Likely won't be on the team next year. D for the few times he looked good.

Round 4: De'Anthony Thomas RB/WR/Athlete - Oregon

Tiny dude who was electric in college. He's probably just too tiny to really be much in the NFL. The Chiefs are trying to make him a WR and he's not really worth it so far, in 2016 almost every offensive touch he got I wished went to someone else. They tried to do some gadget stuff with him his first couple of years and it was never all that successful. He does have some value as a returner. I'll call it a C- just because he can return the ball well and we didn't know about Tyreek Hill at the time. I also noticed his little rear end doing some work as a gunner, so he does have some value as a general special teamer even if he isn't returning kicks.
The biggest problem with Dee Ford is it seems they panicked when the Saints took Cook and the Browns took Manziel one pick before them, so Dorsey went all SPARQ and took Dee Ford. Was 1-2 rounds too early. He would of been a fine selection in the late 2nd-early 3rd round, and would be a great edge rusher if he ever played with solid, consistent technique.

His brother works at my place of employment and there's my useless fun fact.

I think Gaines was pretty solid before the ACL tear in 2015, and for whatever reason, everyone with an ACL tear was really hosed last season. I don't think his knee was ever 100%, but the blown coverage in Denver was hilariously bad.

De'Anthony Thomas has been toast ever since noted piece of poo poo, Jaheel Addae, scrambled his brains. Him falling off the cliff and nearly quitting football is partly why they drafted Tyreek.

LiquidFriend fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Feb 21, 2017

• Locked thread