Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Beartaco posted:

I had a very similar experience with the Classics of Game youtube channel, I thought they just made all of them up until I saw a game that I actually recognised and I was like "Wait, they're all real???"

I straight up refuse to believe this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Beartaco posted:

I mean it's all Net Yaroze games right? It wasn't until I got to this one, which I actually had on a demo disc when I was a kid that I realised they were real. They're all so bizarre it just made more sense that some dude with Blender and a youtube channel was having some fun!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hIGlh0xRuCY

I had never heard of Net Yaroze, and I'm slightly sad to be robbed of the image I had of a weird Beginners Guide style artist putting out these strange love letters to weird nineties era game glitches.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Any plans for Outer Wilds? It just shot up to my favourite adventure game of all time, albeit an extremely unusual one, and it struck me it would be right in Gary and Koles wheelhouse.

Bug Squash fucked around with this message at 13:14 on Jul 11, 2019

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Beartaco posted:

Oh man, Gary and Kole's breakdown at the end of this weeks Abject Suffering had me laughing way too hard in public.

The sudden and unexpected return of "mind control / amulet!" in exquisite suffering nearly ended me. They're doing incredible work.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Most of the discussion is happening in the #METOO Gaming thread. That's the best place to talk about. The initial wave of chuds has been probated into the dirt so it's a reasonable place.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3897556

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Beartaco posted:

I'm really excited for these Tyranny episodes! It's the one point and click CRPG I didn't immediately bounce off and actually played all the way through. I don't remember it being especially good but it was definitely interesting.

I fell in love with Tyranny but bounced off Torment and Pillars, so I'm excited to hear what the boys make of it.

It's got a strong narrative voice that feels distinct from the other crpgs.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Going to ditto that sentiment. Only trouble when I'm listening to older episodes is that sometimes someone will say the funniest thing ever and it feels like it's too late to mention it by the time I've gotten around to hearing it.

Regardless, I just want to say that "Mary Sousa" is :discourse:

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Obra dim, Disco Elysium, Hypnospace Outlaw and Outer Wilds are all masterpiece level reinventions of the Adventure Game and I'm so jazzed Woff has or will shortly be covering them all.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

The Kingfish posted:

Did something happen to the sekiro episodes? I subscribed to the Patron to listen but I can’t find them anywhere.

Just searched the early release feed for "sekiro" and they're still up. They're part of Bonfire Side Chat rather than WoFF, but the patreon feed should have everything.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Nibble posted:

I think that's right. Specifically with the numbers and colors, you're learning the definitions of the symbols to their real-world counterparts, and then using that to read and input those colors/numbers elsewhere. Semantic then would be like more traditional point-and-click adventure puzzles, where you collect items and are always thinking "where can I make use of this?" and "what do I need to do {x}?"

When I played Myst, I did noticed that almost all the puzzles had a similar basic structure: an encrypted answer, a cypher to decrypt the answer, and a place to input the answer. I think that what I would call the "cypher" is the same as what Gary/Kole called learning the syntax. Just two different ways of conceptualising the same thing I guess.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Paralympic football is absolutely a thing that exists.

What grates so much about The Witnesses design is that there is no need whatsoever for those puzzle elements to be so exclusionary. But Blow felt that a small number of relatively superficial elements were more important than allowing a large number of people to play his game without impairment. On top of the general ickyness of that, it smacks of auteur fart huffing.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Colour blind options are easy to implement and widely adopted, all can be accomplished without comprising the central core of any puzzle space.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Just have a box in the accessibility options for audio description for the heard of hearing. The relevant ambient noises then come up as subtitles. The puzzle would probably be easier for dead people than full hearing people, but that's ok.

Audio description is a little bit of extra effort compared to colour blind options, but nothing compared to the huge amount of effort that went into making the game as a whole.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Gary and Kole taught me to hate Metroid Fusion.

Joking aside, I like the game, but I appreciated a critical eye on its weaknesses. As long as it's an intelligent conversation I'm very happy to hear criticism of a thing I love.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

I remember jumping onto the WoFF bandwagon around episode 40 and thinking wow I'll never work through this back catalogue.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Beartaco posted:

e: I don't think I give a poo poo that Gary did it, I think I give a poo poo that Gary offered this while claiming he felt so bad about it, implying that because he felt bad about it that gives him carte blanche to do it again. Some real Bojack Horseman vibes.

Where did you draw that conclusion from? That's a really weird thing to say and believe.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

SkeletonHero posted:

I for one appreciated the convoluted backstory of the Shatterhand parody poetry slam zine.

I only wish that he had taken his bullying further and made "Orbs! Orbs! Orbs! Orbs!" for Kick Master as well.

I think it's one of the funniest anecdotes Gary has ever told. It's like he became a Tim Robinson character at this point in his past.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Beartaco posted:

I'm perpetually half a decade behind on videogames at all times. I buy them at like $2 a pop and I don't have to be a part of the zeitgeist, it's a delight! I'm currently playing through Mafia 3 and my response to everyone and their grandmother playing Elden Ring has been to check out Sekiro (only to remember I don't actually enjoy souls likes and uninstall it).

I've got two pre-schoolers at the moment, so this is me too. Probably won't be able to play Elden Ring for another 5 years.

Currently playing Pokemon Trading Card Game 2 after hearing about it on the Inscryption episode. Just a few decades late.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Elden Ring isn't showing up on the early access feed. Probably just the app being lovely, but thought I'd mention it in case other people are having the same issue.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Beard Yawn posted:

BSC is a premium show, so it’ll be in that feed, not the early bird feed.

Ah shucks, I though early bird included the premium shows. I've gotten well confused by all the feeds updating.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Beartaco posted:

In the NES Remix episode, did Kole say that Kid Icarus' arrows go "two Tomba widths" or am I mishearing?

Thats a perfectly comulent unit of measure

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

I never understood why we can't just appreciate both the author's intent and your personal relation to it. That's like getting twice as much art.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Bonfireside chat #195, it’s a premium ep. Yeah I liked the movie too, although I had zero familiarity with the legend so it was hard to follow character relationships. Wish I had known going in that it was Camelot, the king was Arthur, his mom was Morgana, etc. great ending

The ambiguity of who the characters are lends to the tone imo, and keeps the viewer from ever feeling comfortable with the relationships. Gawain filling in the role of Mordred only works because that.

The five/ten minute instrumental epilogue was absolutely astounding.

I watched it back to back with the Lighthouse and I've been chasing that high ever since.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

I did a play along of bugsnax, and don't worry the bosses were absolute drags in terms of gameplay. All the fiddlyness of a really awkward snax catch, but more so and requiring you to repeat it several time. The sushi dragon especially. Cute names and graphics though, I'll give them that. If you have a quick look at them on YouTube you get a much better experience than actually fighting them.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

I think they acknowledge that the game is uniquely badly suited to WoFF, since it's primary success is gameplay and WoFF focuses a lot on narrative and artistry. To really give PP it's due you'd need to have a group of people recollecting the things they pulled off in the playground with the tools, and largely avoid the story.

I guess the modern hitman games are a window into how a playground style game could have looked if it had a better written story.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

A coworker told me their controversial view that breaking bad would have been better dropping a season or two, and as time goes on I think they might have been right. Like, what was the point of the plane crash? Oh Walt's casual evil is causing unintended deaths? Did the meth epidemic he's single handedly causing not count, even though that's a 1:1 cause and effect and not a Rube Goldberg chain of nonsense that mostly other people's fault?

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

I mean, I straight away understand exactly the kinds of aesthetics Gary's criticising there, so I got no problem with the choice of language. And I've definitely turned off a game after realising I haven't meaningfully interacted with it despite being wholly on board with a positive messaging.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

I love Metal Gear, but I gotta agree Gary is right.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

I genuinely, honestly and vehemently disagree with Gary's views on Banjo-Kazooie, but every time they bring it up I'm smiling because he's an extraordinarily funny guy. I wouldn't change the way they do things for the world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

I guess if you're someone raised in a right-wing rabbit hole, a videogame podcast could legitimately be the first place that you get exposed to a contrary view. Still absolutely wild to think about.