Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

Terrific Accident posted:

I have no children and I think that makes me very special.

thankyou for your sacrifice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

:burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug:

500 bad things posted:

tell them we made slenderman and I think they'll come runnin' before more bad things happen to white people

ok i told them and now the cops are here and also a news chopper and they keep getting SA mixed up with 4chan and reddit and theyre asking me for names and addresses of Anonymous

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
"You are standing in a thread. Someone has made an insightful post."
LOOK AT insightful post
"It's a pretty good post."
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post
"You shit on the post. Why."

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

It's definitely not a great idea to have a kid in your 20s unless you are somehow filthy rich and met the absolute most perfect significant other in the world. Even then there's really no downside to just enjoying a less hectic life for a while.

My wife and I originally never wanted kids (we have quite a few friends who said the same and all eventually did) but after about five years of marriage, we felt like we were living and working just to go on vacation twice a year. Don't get me wrong, it was nice having peace and quiet and lots of free time, but it felt a bit too structured and like we were going to work every day for no real reason other than paying bills and going away twice a year. We had a kid in our early 30s and are expecting our second one any day now.

We are both very lucky in that we both have stable, well-paying jobs and no hereditary illnesses or anything we can pass down (we had this all checked). It's definitely crazy that on some days I'm so busy with work and kid stuff that I literally don't have time to make a single phone call. But there's no way I'd ever trade it back. And now when we have quiet time, it feels like we earned it instead of it just being what happened after work every day. I'm legitimately excited to go to places like Sesame Place and Disney and I never thought in a million years that I'd say that.

Man I could never imagine being so bored that I'd consider having a kid just to fill that time with something, but it takes different kinds I guess :shrug:

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
Imagine having kids in your 40s!

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Police Automaton posted:

Man I could never imagine being so bored that I'd consider having a kid just to fill that time with something, but it takes different kinds I guess :shrug:

It wasn't really boredom, it was more "what exactly are we saving money for other than vacations and retirement which we can also do with kids".

The only major differences is are the vacations are going to be a lot different (doesn't matter because we went everywhere we wanted to go already) and if we want to go out we just need to find a sitter. We still go out once a week (with no kids) usually.

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
LOOK AT insightful post
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post

Burt Sexual posted:

Imagine having kids in your 40s!

My father was in his 40s when I was born. We ended up having little of a connection because he grew up in a completely different world. Didn't even really understand that until I was an adult myself. Times have changed since then and continue to change. He also was not a very flexible man, it usually was his way or no way. That is not a question of age. The other day I read that developed countries will start pushing an average life expectancy of over 90 in the next 20 years. (probably excluding the US because of widespread obesity&lack of a good level of healthcare) So being 40 doesn't really mean anymore what it meant 20-30 years ago. Hell, being 30 doesn't mean what it meant 20-30 years ago. People even look a lot younger nowadays on average. So honestly, can't imagine. I suppose it's possible!

It wasn't really boredom, it was more "what exactly are we saving money for other than vacations and retirement which we can also do with kids".

The only major differences is are the vacations are going to be a lot different (doesn't matter because we went everywhere we wanted to go already) and if we want to go out we just need to find a sitter. We still go out once a week (with no kids) usually.

That's not really something I could catch myself ever thinking to be honest, but I guess we are just very different people. Which is fine!

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
If I had a kid I'd always be like "oh my god I hope he didn't fall down a storm drain".

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Police Automaton posted:

Police Automaton posted:

That's not really something I could catch myself ever thinking to be honest, but I guess we are just very different people. Which is fine!

yeah i feel like at that point i'd sign up for fencing lessons or learn a new language or take a vacation somewhere else (the earth is pretty huge) or any of the myriad options that don't require me to radically permanently change my body & my life

i am really happy that other people have the drive to have children, because i like people and i think keeping the human race going is a pretty cool thing

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

YeahTubaMike posted:

yeah i feel like at that point i'd sign up for fencing lessons or learn a new language or take a vacation somewhere else (the earth is pretty huge) or any of the myriad options that don't require me to radically permanently change my body & my life

i am really happy that other people have the drive to have children, because i like people and i think keeping the human race going is a pretty cool thing

If you have kids and an heir to avenge you if you're slain in battle, there's a reduced need for fencing lessons

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

Fiddler on the Reef posted:

They oversewed my wife's vag post delivery and she seems to have permanent hemorrhoids from the extreme pushing. :suicide:

Just lol if you're not fisting your wife every night for the last month to ensure maximum vaginal elasticity

Kassoon
Nov 16, 2005

gonna hit you with his cockatrice
lol if you don't use your kids for slave labor the moment they can walk. Go get me that bag of chips hun. You don't want to? Oh gosh guess you didn't earn your $2 allowance this week, and I'll be telling santa about this!

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Police Automaton posted:

oh yeah, it is definitely not for everyone, and props to anyone who figures that out beforehand. I definitely would have not been able to do it while going to college and working full time. People who can juggle all three make me go :psyduck:

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

I gotta be honest but my 2 year old has not cost me much money up to this point (huge stipulation: I work rotating shifts so we don't have to pay for daycare). Other than diapers and extra food, there's really no costs (friends virtually throw their kids old clothes in your direction). But it obviously will get very expensive come high school and college time I'm sure.

Just getting a two bedroom apartment anywhere near work would cost $600,000/$2,000 per month. Daycares are almost non-existent and obscenely expensive. Schools are closing because no one can afford kids. It's not a normal city.

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

it is the only reason we are alive

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

i actually really like lil kids. they're funny and fun to be around but only if you can fuckin bolt when they start to meltdown. you gotta be a r-tard to want to raise one 24/7

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

Just getting a two bedroom apartment anywhere near work would cost $600,000/$2,000 per month. Daycares are almost non-existent and obscenely expensive. Schools are closing because no one can afford kids. It's not a normal city.

You sound economically disadvantaged. While living, by choice, in a hell hole. Sorry

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Burt Sexual posted:

You sound economically disadvantaged. While living, by choice, in a hell hole. Sorry

can you not spread your hillbilly maga bullshit in every loving thread

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Nefarious 2.0 posted:

can you not spread your hillbilly maga bullshit in every loving thread

Whoa I'm no hillbilly and I like kids. Maybe this isn't your thread friend.

Chernobyl baby
Jul 19, 2011
Having kids should be illegal until you do a course on how to actually take care of it and raise it to not be an rear end in a top hat

Put the loving thing to sleep if need be when you find out they don't have the required credentials beyond "I know how to put thingy into hole but don't know what a condom is" because that's preferable to the kid growing up to be another blemish on society

gently caress

Chernobyl baby fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Feb 25, 2017

Hardawn
Mar 15, 2004

Don't look at the sun, but rather what it illuminates
College Slice

Chernobyl baby posted:

Having kids should be illegal until you do a course on how to actually take care of it and raise it to not be an rear end in a top hat

Put the loving thing to sleep if need be when you find out they don't have the required credentials beyond "I know how to put thingy into hole but don't know what a condom is" because that's preferable to the kid growing up to be another blemish on society

gently caress

raising a life is pass/fail sorry bubbarino

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Burt Sexual posted:

You're wrong on all accounts. Even the "by choice" part. The wife won't move.

Not everyone has half a dozen cheap, economically thriving cities to move to like Americans. Ours is the best city in the country and it's ridiculously expensive in part because of that.

Benny Harvey
Nov 24, 2012

Imagine having sex in your 20s

sout
Apr 24, 2014

Benny Harvey posted:

hosed up if true

Sensual Simian
Jun 7, 2004

summer jorts
cheap labor, baby. make america great again

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
LOOK AT insightful post
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post

Benny Harvey posted:

now lets not get crazy

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Benny Harvey posted:

Imagine having sex

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Chernobyl baby posted:

gently caress

source your quotes

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Chernobyl baby posted:

gently caress

I love how it's not even 'but think of the kid's future happiness!'. Just 'b-but they'll grow up to be a poor person Blemish On Society' :qq:

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
The bruenigs on Twitter seem to be doing pretty good.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
My niece's face looks like a butt

Junkyard Poodle
May 6, 2011

Hector Beerlioz posted:

Congratulations, it's triplets!!

Had a buddy who just had natural quadruplets, lol. He got wreck by his own dick

Astoundingly Ugly Baby
Mar 22, 2006

"...crying bitch cave bitch boy."
- Anonymous Facebook user
I took care of my nephew for five months after he was born because my sister & her boyfriend had a lot of WoW raiding to do, so they'd basically abandoned him for weeks at a time with my parents or me. Things eventually changed, but I'd say it was definitely a valuable experience that taught me how to take care of an incomprehensible pants-making GBS threads goblin. And also how to take care of a baby.

flick my Mr. Bean
Nov 18, 2014

Having kids isn't that hard. I mean, you definitely realize how easy your life was in certain ways beforehand, but it never seemed that difficult.

e: if you get lucky and your kid isn't a little poo poo inherently.

flick my Mr. Bean fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Feb 25, 2017

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Junkyard Poodle posted:

Had a buddy who just had natural quadruplets, lol. He got wreck by his own dick

The extremely fertile wifey

Astoundingly Ugly Baby posted:

I took care of my nephew for five months after he was born because my sister & her boyfriend had a lot of WoW raiding to do, so they'd basically abandoned him for weeks at a time with my parents or me. Things eventually changed, but I'd say it was definitely a valuable experience that taught me how to take care of an incomprehensible pants-making GBS threads goblin. And also how to take care of a baby.

Usename post combo

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

I might have gotten a woman pregnant

Fortunately she is a psycho and we broke up and is now living with someone else who takes care of her and really wants a child, and there's a strong possibility it might be mine

Best of both worlds really, my genes spread and I can still play Heroes of the Storm all night

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

:burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug:

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

I might have gotten a woman pregnant

Fortunately she is a psycho and we broke up and is now living with someone else who takes care of her and really wants a child, and there's a strong possibility it might be mine

Best of both worlds really, my genes spread and I can still play Heroes of the Storm all night

my man :hfive:

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

never talk to me or my son again

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

God drat, they pulled his hair to the side so hard it's loving up his eyelids

SpaghetioSexNoises
Aug 16, 2015
Liars tend to gravitate toward leadership positions, everyone peep future-president Treyden Brayden

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Nefarious 2.0 posted:

never talk to me or my son again

I can't believe there's a Brayden old enough to have kids

• Locked thread