Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

spacetoaster posted:

I guess some people are just sad.

I had my kids in my 20's and we spent years going to carnivals, parks, and all kinds of fun poo poo. It's kind of pathetic that people think going to the club and stuff is the pinnacle of existence.

And now I'm in my 30's and my kids are old enough to go do their own things now and we go on awesome family vacations.

What's even more pathetic though is people who wait til they're 40 to have kids. Dude, you're so old you can't even get your arthritic butt up to play sports with your kids. Much less understand any of the technology they're using.

I don't need kids to feel good about myself tho.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

my bat mitzvah ROCKED posted:

i know when im dying of cancer i will look fondly on my 20 and 30s and cherish all those times i got to travel internationally and have tons of fulfilling life experiences instead of having a kid

:colbert:

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Astoundingly Ugly Baby posted:

One of my friends has a kid named Gayden.

lmao

that's like something my friend screams after i stomp him with Raiden for the 3rd time

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

quote:

I gooned it up pretty hard in my 20s, partyin and doin dumb poo poo and playing an absolutely enormous amount of video games.

When I had a kid at 30 allllll that time spent just felt like an overwhelmingly stupid and self-indulgent waste of my loving life.

wtf does having a kid have to do with that lol

just don't waste your loving life in the first place dang

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I think uncertainty and doubt is part of the human condition regardless of where you are and what you're doing.

I def feel adrift and lonely sometimes but I'm not gonna have kids just to fix that. I feel like if I have kids it is because I have all my poo poo together and figured out. I really feel like many people have kids either because "that's what you're supposed to do" or to "fix" something that is wrong with the relationship (or themselves) and ultimately that's not good for the kid imo.

My sister (13 years older than I am) has two kids, about 3 and 5, and it's cool being an uncle because I can just swing through and chill with the family and not have to deal with all the other negative sides to having kids. I see my sister now and she looks exhausted nonstop and I dunno that I even have it in me to devote that much time/energy to kids of my own.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I will say that my sister is 13 years older than I am and we have always had a very good relationship. I see people who are twins or whatever constantly fighting with their sibling and I feel pity bc that sucks.

13 years is a pretty drat big gap ofc but I think having a bit of a gap is better (if you have a choice ofc).

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Fiddler on the Reef posted:

The consequences of following your advice at a societal level would lead to humanity's extinction.

People who judge other people's reasons for having kids have their heads up their asses imo

I'm not judging anyone, I'm just saying why I don't want kids. People who get all up on me for that are also asses.

It is true, however, that there are a lot of shitter parents out there and I don't think I'm in the wrong for wishing pregnant teens would just get an abortion and try again later in life instead of being forced to have a kid as some kind of punishment. I think humanity will be fine with that.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Kaedric posted:

The point I was trying to get across was the stuff that people consider "living life to the fullest, no gods no masters" was pointless self-indulgence.

I mean okay but why is having kids any different really? You could adopt, for example.

Isn't pretty much everything ultimately just pointless self-indulgence? Sounds like you're implying there's some meaning to life that only is achieved via having kids.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I mean have kids it's fine man all I'm saying is if you don't want kids that's fine, too.

The only reason I would judge someone for having a kid is if they aren't taking care of the kid properly. Otherwise who cares, really.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

well it depends girlfriend. if everyone followed your advice I don't think it's unreasonable to say that for every two people only one person would be born. if that were the case, the human population would be under a million within 14 generations (in less than 400 years). that's not very long time I don't think.

I think you're assuming a loooot here.

Why would people only have 1 kid? My sister had 2 in her 30s and they take care of them just fine. They waited until their poo poo was in order. Saying people should not have kids as teenagers (for example) isn't mutually exclusive with any kind of population growth/decline.

e: you also assume that the difficulty of getting your poo poo together is the same regardless of population size which I don't think is necessarily true.

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Feb 21, 2017

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

because not everyone is in your sister's position, especially in developing nations and the US. For every one of your sister and her dopey husband, there are more that will never be "prepared for it.

e: oh fuk I just saw who I was responding too fuuuuccckk. please pretend I never made this post.

Well you're assuming a lot about what people mean when they say "prepared for it." I don't mean financially. I mean in terms of someone being well adjusted enough to actually take care of someone else as opposed to being a shithouse parent. You can be in the 3rd world and still be a good parent. You can be the wealthiest person in the world and still be an abusive rear end in a top hat.

Don't pretend like there aren't numerous couples with failing relationships who have kids to "save" the marriage. Don't pretend like there aren't teenagers getting knocked up then told they just have to have the kid because they gotta deal with the consequences of their mistakes. Those are the people I'm talking about.

But by all means make an ad hominem argument and sidestep out of the conversation lmao.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
if we can't figure cloning out in the next 400 years we deserve to die off

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

because not everyone is in your sister's position, especially in developing nations and the US. For every one of your sister and her dopey husband, there are more that will never be "prepared for it.

e: oh fuk I just saw who I was responding too fuuuuccckk. please pretend I never made this post.

Also as a total aside idk why people can't be civil. What did my sister's husband ever do to you? Nothing.

Way to be a good example for the children.

• Locked thread