Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
proctorbot
Jan 27, 2005
BUT CAN IT FEEL??!?!
Honestly having a kid sucks a lot. It just drains all your energy and sucks your vitality from you until you are a withered husk wishing for death. I hope I will change my mind when I'm an old man and she's an adult but right now it feels like the biggest mistake I ever made.

She's 7 months old fyi. I don't care about the money thing childfree people are always on about. Thats not the part thay sucks. Have you ever been around a parent of a young child? We are like zombies just going through the motions until we can pass out from sheer exhaustion again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

proctorbot
Jan 27, 2005
BUT CAN IT FEEL??!?!

Cursed Lumberjack posted:

Friend, I don't know your personal situation but I will say everyone I know irl who expresses this feeling made a poor decision about when to have kids

Everyone I know who waited for a stable time in their life finds it exhausting but an overall positive

I have a good job and everything, I just come home tired from work and then I deal with a very needy little creature that needs basically constant and undivided attention. If I could afford a nanny or act like a traditional disengaged 1950s dad it would be a lot easier.

I'm just grumpy right now because earlier this evening I couldn't get her to stop crying for 30 straight minutes no matter what I tried. It's possible I just suck at taking care of little babies, and things are easier for people who are good at it.

proctorbot
Jan 27, 2005
BUT CAN IT FEEL??!?!
I would just like people to be more honest about the own lives, like their uncertainties, insecurities, and doubts. Everyone in this thread pretending their life is just the bee's knees. I'd like single people to say, yeah sometimes I feel adrift and lonely, and kidhavers to say, yeah sometimes I feel exhausted and wonder when I'll enjoy life again.

It'd be nice to have an honest conversation, but too many come in here swaggering and bragging; I think at least in part to convince themselves that they've made all the right choices.

proctorbot
Jan 27, 2005
BUT CAN IT FEEL??!?!
I love my daughter, I was just having a hard day when I made that post. Which is part of being a parent.

I was against having kids when I was younger. One of the things that changes my mind was reading the book 100 Years of Solitude, which is a cool exploration of character traits mixing and splitting as a family goes through generations. My grandmother recently died, and my daughter has her name as a middle name. When she smiles, it looks the same as when her great grandmother did. It's just cool. Life is beautiful.

• Locked thread