Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

deadgoon posted:

and then, then there are people who say, "i believe in the dumb thing", and they know the thing is dumb, but they make themselves believe it because it is dumb, and that's the highest form of trolling

its entirely possible that im just actually irl dumb btw

i have character witnesses

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

etalian posted:

Also the Expanse owns, instead of Final Frontier you have rich people being horrible in space and the production values are top notch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=krqqqgixNq8

Seconding this. It's a pretty great conspiracy thriller with great characters and fun sci-fi fluff.

Also features Shohreh Aghdashloo essentially playing the person Hillary Clinton fantasizes herself to be.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-rHjgQF6y1M

Edit: Video has a bit of a spoiler, btw.

Trumps Baby Hands
Mar 27, 2016

Silent white light filled the world. And the righteous and unrighteous alike were consumed in that holy fire.

deadgoon posted:

there are people who say, "i believe in the dumb thing", and they don't even know the thing is dumb

and there are people who say, "i believe in the dumb thing", but they don't actually believe the dumb thing, they are just trolling; they are amused by making people mad by saying things they don't really believe

and there are people who say, "i believe in the dumb thing", but they don't actually believe the dumb thing, they are just ironic; they are amused by mocking people who believe in dumb things

and then, then there are people who say, "i believe in the dumb thing", and they know the thing is dumb, but they make themselves believe it because it is dumb, and that's the highest form of trolling

This is like reading the Phenomenology of Spirit

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Helsing posted:

The West Wing should come with flashing subtitles saying *this is what American liberals actually believed*

lol

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

deadgoon posted:

there are people who say, "i believe in the dumb thing", and they don't even know the thing is dumb

and there are people who say, "i believe in the dumb thing", but they don't actually believe the dumb thing, they are just trolling; they are amused by making people mad by saying things they don't really believe

and there are people who say, "i believe in the dumb thing", but they don't actually believe the dumb thing, they are just ironic; they are amused by mocking people who believe in dumb things

ANARCHY FOREVER

uh i mean

i really liked this Netflix show love because it had some of my favorite comedic actors (paul rust, gillian jacobs, claudia o'doherty) doing some kind of bad relationship mumblecore show.

deadgoon
Dec 4, 2014

by FactsAreUseless
i watch tv but it feels kind of pointless to recommend tv shows becuase it's like

"have u heard about the new show on hbo???"

yes, everyone who watches tv has heard about the new show on hbo

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
Fargo is excellent and in season 2 Bruce Campbell plays the best rendition of Reagan in human history.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Trumps Baby Hands posted:

Generation Kill is the best

It was really good and there so many dumb things that could have been preventable but people died in the most stupidest and shittiest way possible. The early invasion was a wild west poo poo show and it's a really good watch to get the sense of just fuckery and nihilism. They did a great job conveying the pointlessness of it and even the First Recon Marines had that doubt nipping at the back of their heads.

Plus it helps to have Alexander Scaryguy as eyecandy~ :swoon:

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

Lastgirl posted:

It was really good and there so many dumb things that could have been preventable but people died in the most stupidest and shittiest way possible. The early invasion was a wild west poo poo show and it's a really good watch to get the sense of just fuckery and nihilism. They did a great job conveying the pointlessness of it and even the First Recon Marines had that doubt nipping at the back of their heads.

the early invasion was one of the most successful military operations in history, u should see what it looks like when things go bad

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Helsing posted:

The West Wing should come with flashing subtitles saying *this is what American liberals actually believed*

:same:

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

The expanse is insanely good and tickles me so much that we have a worthy sci-fi setting without warp drive.
I'm also only on episode five.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Lastgirl posted:

i read lt. fick's memoirs and its real funny how a rahrah marine and a hippie rolling stone reporter both looked at the same events and came to the conclusion "yeah shits hosed"

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I've been binging through Leverage again (and watching the final season for the first time) and I can't say I don't like temporarily living in a fantasy world where cartoonishly evil supervillains get their comeuppance instead of being elected President.

Also, seen the first four episodes of Inside No. 9, a U.K. anthology series from two of the people behind The League of Gentlemen and three out of four have been these amazing short comedy-horror films. (The fourth one was all right.) Can't recommend it highly enough.

Trumps Baby Hands
Mar 27, 2016

Silent white light filled the world. And the righteous and unrighteous alike were consumed in that holy fire.

Lastgirl posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dRR3iATGtRA

the moment where he looks up at the reporter... :love: :love: :love:

Trumps Baby Hands
Mar 27, 2016

Speaking of Scaryguy, in the first ep of Pretty Little Liars Big Little Lies, Reese Witherspoon uses over/under correctly ("The over and under [salary] in this town is about $150,000.")

In was the only CSPAM moment in a show that otherwise glorifies the interpersonal "problems" of the disgustingly rich

Trumps Baby Hands has issued a correction as of 19:43 on Feb 23, 2017

Trumps Baby Hands
Mar 27, 2016

Newest Girls was fuckin legit. People have his image of Dunham as being the arch-SJW, but that's just not accurate. This episode, for example, was about fake rape accusations hoisted by "tumblr girls", comparing them to witch hunts, and how the "blind belief" mentality denies the gray zones of reality. Certainly not the liberal party line. Girls has from the very first episode been a skewering of millennial culture's most ridiculous aspects, not a celebration of them.

Lena did get sucked into Clinton's orbit. She did have an advantage in the industry because of who her parents were. She did tell an incredibly hosed up story about something she did when she was seven years old. Who doesn't have some skeletons?

She also took off her clothes for countless sex scenes on her tv show, highlighting her imperfect body with its "interesting day deposits". And you know what? That was brace and cool, and I think it's great that a lot of women out there who don't look like Allison Williams got to see a representation of themselves who sent the message that they shouldn't be ashamed of their bodies or their sexuality.

That fact that Milo felt the need to specifically call her out by name during his ill-fated big break should indicate the type of people that are most invested in tearing Dunham down for her "lack of talent" of "ugly face." I spent my twenties growing up alongside Hannah Horvath, and I'm a better person for it.

Trumps Baby Hands
Mar 27, 2016

poo poo, I meant to post that in the McDonald's drive thru thread

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Newest Girls was fuckin legit. People have his image of Dunham as being the arch-SJW, but that's just not accurate. This episode, for example, was about fake rape accusations hoisted by "tumblr girls", comparing them to witch hunts, and how the "blind belief" mentality denies the gray zones of reality.

That sounds loving awful

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

people who say "lena dunham fat" or "lena dunham is the SJW queen" are missing the point. the point is that she's the stupidest person with celebrity status by a very wide margin. she still thinks that Hillary Clinton is the perfect political person who is beyond reproach even after her horribly-run campaign. read her election postmortem if you don't believe me. when it comes to non-political stuff, she must love the taste of her foot for putting it in her mouth so much

also, Girls is a horrendous show. if you're going to have a comedy show with four irredeemably terrible main characters, they need to get their comeuppance once in a while. think of Seinfeld, Always Sunny, Archer, Curb, Eastbound and Down, and countless other sitcoms. i read that in the last season, lena dunham's character rapes a man, and when the season ends, people still think she's great, she's going to do excellent things, etc. that's a great way to make people either avoid it or hatewatch it

an actual dog posted:

That sounds loving awful
it was probably done much better and funnier in the classic Simpsons episode "Homer Badman." also there's speculation over whether lena dunham made up a fake rape accusation when she went to college. if that is true, that's another layer of awfulness

get that OUT of my face has issued a correction as of 00:45 on Feb 25, 2017

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

the far-scape in space is about john, a man who goes in space and falls thru a hole in space making him lost. he lands on a beige whale in space and makes some friends in space there and they go travelling in space to get into many adventures in space

but watch out fellas, there are many dangers in space!!!!

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

etalian posted:

Also the Expanse owns, instead of Final Frontier you have rich people being horrible in space and the production values are top notch.

Was the first episode/pilot a particularly low point for the show, then? I thought it was cheeseball soap opera tier acting, with off-the-rack costuming and a lovely SyFy CGI gloss.

Star Trek TNG looked more lived-in.

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice
this seems like the best place to ask tbh so here goes...what are the Top 5 must have Millennial subscription services??

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

the trump tutelage posted:

Was the first episode/pilot a particularly low point for the show, then? I thought it was cheeseball soap opera tier acting, with off-the-rack costuming and a lovely SyFy CGI gloss.

Star Trek TNG looked more lived-in.

It gets better and had standard exposition trap with most of the 1st setting up the world.

2nd season has been pretty much flawless

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Mariana Horchata posted:

this seems like the best place to ask tbh so here goes...what are the Top 5 must have Millennial subscription services??

Crunchyroll, Crunchyroll, Crunchyroll, Crunchyroll, Crunchyroll

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

etalian posted:

It gets better and had standard exposition trap with most of the 1st setting up the world.

2nd season has been pretty much flawless

I'm have to give it another shot, then.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Newest Girls was fuckin legit. People have his image of Dunham as being the arch-SJW, but that's just not accurate. This episode, for example, was about fake rape accusations hoisted by "tumblr girls", comparing them to witch hunts, and how the "blind belief" mentality denies the gray zones of reality. Certainly not the liberal party line. Girls has from the very first episode been a skewering of millennial culture's most ridiculous aspects, not a celebration of them.

Lena did get sucked into Clinton's orbit. She did have an advantage in the industry because of who her parents were. She did tell an incredibly hosed up story about something she did when she was seven years old. Who doesn't have some skeletons?

She also took off her clothes for countless sex scenes on her tv show, highlighting her imperfect body with its "interesting day deposits". And you know what? That was brace and cool, and I think it's great that a lot of women out there who don't look like Allison Williams got to see a representation of themselves who sent the message that they shouldn't be ashamed of their bodies or their sexuality.

That fact that Milo felt the need to specifically call her out by name during his ill-fated big break should indicate the type of people that are most invested in tearing Dunham down for her "lack of talent" of "ugly face." I spent my twenties growing up alongside Hannah Horvath, and I'm a better person for it.

No.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

the trump tutelage posted:

I'm have to give it another shot, then.

The whole first season is up on Amazon prime.

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown
broad city is better than girls in every conceivable way (with the exception of the clinton cameo)

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

get that OUT of my face posted:

also, Girls is a horrendous show. if you're going to have a comedy show with four irredeemably terrible main characters, they need to get their comeuppance once in a while. think of Seinfeld, Always Sunny, Archer, Curb, Eastbound and Down, and countless other sitcoms. i read that in the last season, lena dunham's character rapes a man, and when the season ends, people still think she's great, she's going to do excellent things, etc. that's a great way to make people either avoid it or hatewatch it

i watched a few episodes and quit at a bit where shes bemoaning her inability to get a job with her token gay friend while getting coffee and croissants at a brooklyn cafe

and its like; hey! Hey! in the background, that scenery you put to fill the space behind the two principle actors! those two dozen latinos working their fuckin' asses off to get breakfast service out? gently caress, they're pretty swamped!

maybe they need help

I Love Loosies
Jan 4, 2013

I spent my twenties growing up alongside Hannah Horvath, and I'm a better person for it.

Same but Raylan Givens.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Jojo's bizarre adventure is a great show if you like bizarre adventures.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ueryMAh5EzI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fv6rBVEko80

It's a generational story about the jojos (all 8 of them) and their battle against many things, but mostly against DIO, Jonathan Joestar's adopted brother and rear end in a top hat supreme.

Condiv has issued a correction as of 04:46 on Mar 6, 2017

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Mayor Dave posted:

broad city is better than girls in every conceivable way (with the exception of the clinton cameo)
broad city and girls are two completely different shows, but this is a true statement. and that's another show where a couple of flawed main characters face consequences for doing stupid things. the season three finale nailed down the creepy undertones of Birthright

ilana glazer still has a pic of hillary clinton as her instagram profile pic though

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

whoa not sure about that title on this, its just some alien shenanigans in space
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aCVVryrf3KA

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
Patriot on Amazon Prime is pretty great.

Also

Willie Tomg posted:

Fargo is excellent and in season 2 Bruce Campbell plays the best rendition of Reagan in human history.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

red dwarf is pretty fun to watch, if you want sci-fi comedy. also black adder, though that's more historical comedy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oB-NnVpvQ78

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=01R_lP51Pw0

Condiv has issued a correction as of 11:39 on Mar 6, 2017

Trumps Baby Hands
Mar 27, 2016

Love is an evil show because it propogates the insane lie that below-average whiny idiots can end up with the hottest mess who ever messed. It's a Judd Apatow dork fantasy and I hate it and have to marathon it just to get it out of the way

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost
I hope they both isolate from their friends and then break up and end up alone because they're both assholes who deserve to be sad.

Trumps Baby Hands
Mar 27, 2016

Yeah, they're perfect for each other in that they are both unbearable jerkoffs

deeply selfish people

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost
Season 2 would also be good if it was just 10 hours of the nerdy friends doing theme songs for movies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment

get that OUT of my face posted:

That's pretty much my take of it, it's a show about horrible people that unironically wants you to sympathize and care about them.

• Locked thread