Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Trumps Baby Hands
Mar 27, 2016

Silent white light filled the world. And the righteous and unrighteous alike were consumed in that holy fire.
I fuckin love television. Starting with the Sopranos, television has quickly become the medium for telling complex and engaging stories. The trump thread often incorporates lots of tv chat/cool gifs of the young pope smoking, and I thought it might be nice to have a place specifically to post about the wonders of the evil left wing agenda brainwashing machine boob tube. Besides just TVIVing all the Sunday night shows, it'd be swell as heck if people make posts recommending both obscure and popular older shows/miniseries as well (similar to Montesque's c-spam movie thread).

So, grab a cig/jay , fire up your lappys, and get ready to vicariously live more interesting lives through the magic of tv.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VXQ512JgDbw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trumps Baby Hands
Mar 27, 2016

Silent white light filled the world. And the righteous and unrighteous alike were consumed in that holy fire.
Since this is CSPAM, let me start with a politics specific rec:

Show Me A Hero is the brainchild of David Simon, which is probably enough of a recommendation all on it's own. It tells the true story of politician Nick Wasicsko (Oscar Isaac), who became America's youngest big city mayor by campaigning against the forced desegregation of Yonkers via the construction of affordable public housing, only to then have to implement the plan himself when a judge begins fining the city $1 million dollars for every day that they don't comply with the order.

It's a pretty intense tale, one that highlights complicated hypocrisies of local politics by showing how ambition can corrupt even the best of intentions. It's also a surpsingly engaging look into the issues surrounding public housing, specifically with regards to the defensible space theory, which stipulates that the crime surrounding high-rise projects is a failure of design and not, as the middle-class white population of Yonkers assert, some personality flaw specific to "those people." It has a similar feel to the social commentary portions of the Wire, except told from the prospective of the people trapped inside the high-rises versus that of the drug dealers and police who make life so unbearable.

imho, it's Isaac's best performance to date, and also includes some great turns from Jim Bulshi, Catherine Keener, Alfred Molina, and CSPAM-favorite Winona Ryder :love: as Yonkers City Council president Vinni Restiano.

It's the kind of biographical true story that you shouldn't look up details about beforehand if you don't already know them, allowing you to fully experience the arc of one of America's most fascinating politicians. It's only six episodes, so not a huge commitment at all. Go watch it!

Trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0FPIflcWIOk

Trumps Baby Hands
Mar 27, 2016

zeal posted:

huh, maybe i should've kept watching mad men

pete campbell is the best

imo Mad Men is one of the only shows that never had a dip in quality, but instead just got better and better with each season

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yXoILGnHnvM&t=9s

Trumps Baby Hands
Mar 27, 2016

Speaking of David Simon, I'll go ahead and recommend Generation Kill here as well.

Based off the memoir of a Rolling Stone journalist embedded with the Marine 1st Recon Battalion (a propaganda tactic pioneered by bushkrew; give the illusion of "full access" by placing reporters within units where their experience of the war can be monitored and controlled, and where they'd inevitably become "one of the guys" and lose their objectivity), Generation Kill nonetheless is a brutal depiction of the bewilderingly idiotic Iraq II invasion. It reveals the absurdity of modern war, and shows how those early months in Iraq mismanaged and frankly, kind of surreal. Guys who had been trained for elite surgical stealth missions ride around in humvees in broad daylight, shooting at a massively inferior army like an on-the-rails video game.

It's funny in parts, maddening in others, and ultimately just a morose portrayal of what happens when you send dumb kids into the desert with machine guns and tell them to intelligently wage war in an alien world. There's no swelling Saving Private Ryan orchestral music. It's soundtracked by the squeaking of radios and the bitching of Rip-Fuel'd wacked out all-American marines, bouncing from one inevitable war crime to another, undersupplied by an administration whose priority was to destroy a civilization as cheaply as possible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cRg4-pCSMjM

If you're hyped to experience the frustration, confusion, and bureaucratic nonsense that governs modern warfare, then Generation Kill is the best place to go.

Trumps Baby Hands
Mar 27, 2016

The final season of Girls is killing it so far

Trumps Baby Hands
Mar 27, 2016

deadgoon posted:

there are people who say, "i believe in the dumb thing", and they don't even know the thing is dumb

and there are people who say, "i believe in the dumb thing", but they don't actually believe the dumb thing, they are just trolling; they are amused by making people mad by saying things they don't really believe

and there are people who say, "i believe in the dumb thing", but they don't actually believe the dumb thing, they are just ironic; they are amused by mocking people who believe in dumb things

and then, then there are people who say, "i believe in the dumb thing", and they know the thing is dumb, but they make themselves believe it because it is dumb, and that's the highest form of trolling

This is like reading the Phenomenology of Spirit

Trumps Baby Hands
Mar 27, 2016

Lastgirl posted:

Plus it helps to have Alexander Scaryguy as eyecandy~ :swoon:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dRR3iATGtRA

the moment where he looks up at the reporter... :love: :love: :love:

Trumps Baby Hands
Mar 27, 2016

Speaking of Scaryguy, in the first ep of Pretty Little Liars Big Little Lies, Reese Witherspoon uses over/under correctly ("The over and under [salary] in this town is about $150,000.")

In was the only CSPAM moment in a show that otherwise glorifies the interpersonal "problems" of the disgustingly rich

Trumps Baby Hands has issued a correction as of 19:43 on Feb 23, 2017

Trumps Baby Hands
Mar 27, 2016

Newest Girls was fuckin legit. People have his image of Dunham as being the arch-SJW, but that's just not accurate. This episode, for example, was about fake rape accusations hoisted by "tumblr girls", comparing them to witch hunts, and how the "blind belief" mentality denies the gray zones of reality. Certainly not the liberal party line. Girls has from the very first episode been a skewering of millennial culture's most ridiculous aspects, not a celebration of them.

Lena did get sucked into Clinton's orbit. She did have an advantage in the industry because of who her parents were. She did tell an incredibly hosed up story about something she did when she was seven years old. Who doesn't have some skeletons?

She also took off her clothes for countless sex scenes on her tv show, highlighting her imperfect body with its "interesting day deposits". And you know what? That was brace and cool, and I think it's great that a lot of women out there who don't look like Allison Williams got to see a representation of themselves who sent the message that they shouldn't be ashamed of their bodies or their sexuality.

That fact that Milo felt the need to specifically call her out by name during his ill-fated big break should indicate the type of people that are most invested in tearing Dunham down for her "lack of talent" of "ugly face." I spent my twenties growing up alongside Hannah Horvath, and I'm a better person for it.

Trumps Baby Hands
Mar 27, 2016

poo poo, I meant to post that in the McDonald's drive thru thread

Trumps Baby Hands
Mar 27, 2016

Love is an evil show because it propogates the insane lie that below-average whiny idiots can end up with the hottest mess who ever messed. It's a Judd Apatow dork fantasy and I hate it and have to marathon it just to get it out of the way

Trumps Baby Hands
Mar 27, 2016

Yeah, they're perfect for each other in that they are both unbearable jerkoffs

deeply selfish people

Trumps Baby Hands
Mar 27, 2016

ScrubLeague posted:

Season 2 would also be good if it was just 10 hours of the nerdy friends doing theme songs for movies.

God, I would watch the gently caress out of that. It's like someone had an incredible idea for a webseries and then decided to pad it out with an awkward "romance" between the two worst characters.

Trumps Baby Hands
Mar 27, 2016

bloom posted:

Also The Expanse continues to own in the second season but now I've caught up with it and watching an episode a week is gonna suck.

:same:

I still can't get over how much that OPA dude looks like Lane Price from Mad Men

Trumps Baby Hands
Mar 27, 2016

Jesus loving Christ, I just started playing Call of Duty Infinite War since it came with the PS4 and I'd already finished The Last of Us. It's laughably "Earth = Good, Mars = Bad", and the Earth guys that actually want to go to war are the heroes fighting against the "stupid politicians" that hold them back. It's like the jingoistic toddler's version of The Expanse. I get the feeling that people that play this are the ones who thought that "American Sniper" was a pro-war movie.

Trumps Baby Hands
Mar 27, 2016

There's a scene where you're walkin around "good guy headquarters" and the flags on the wall are USA, France, Germany, Canada, and Japan. I guess the Russians, Chinese and Indians (you know, the countries that actually have space programs) aren't invited to the heroes of Earth party.

The first "bad guy" Mars dude you meet has a Russian accent. The only reason I popped this into the console is that I figured I wouldnt be simulating a future war against people I have no desire to kill (as opposed to Modern Warfare). But nope.

The Expanse is a brilliant metaphor for Cold Wars in general & the third worlders who get caught in the crossfire, and the blurry lines between "revolutionary" and "terrorist"; Call of Duty Infinite War is a barely disguised version of "kill modern Russians, horah, America is #1, baby, gently caress poo poo up. We deserve all the oil, because of freedom."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trumps Baby Hands
Mar 27, 2016

YO. My dudes. The first episode of the second season of Animals. is the most ~:mason:Gnostic:mason:~ poo poo you'll see on tv this year. If it doesn't make you want to pack up all your poo poo and escape from civilization ala THX1138-style, then nothing else will.

• Locked thread