Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

numberoneposter posted:

what about all the physics puzzels after the vorgigaunts block him from messing with gordon then IDIOT

uh he did those too he knew the vortigonts would cock block him hes can time travel n poo poo cmon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ivan Shitskin
Nov 29, 2002

I wanna be like Riker, Riker's so cool, every morning I get up and open palm slap my Star: The Next Generation VHS tapes into the TV and start copying Riker's moves and his sexy swagger

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

Kenzie posted:

I wanna be like Riker, Riker's so cool, every morning I get up and open palm slap my Star: The Next Generation VHS tapes into the TV and start copying Riker's moves and his sexy swagger
then i have a website for you
http://scrolldowntoriker.com

Ivan Shitskin
Nov 29, 2002

Wasn't there a DS9 episode or some poo poo where some transporter patterns are uploaded into the station computers and they can barely handle it because they take up so much space? And they have to power down other essential systems just to save a couple of people? And that was on a huge space station. The human body is too complex for everyone to get backed up on the computers all the time. When they transport people, they can only transport a handful of them at a time, and only parts of them are moved over at any one time, which is why it takes so long. They can't just beam a bunch of people over in the blink of an eye because it will crash their whole system.

Ivan Shitskin
Nov 29, 2002

:swoon:

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

Moridin920 posted:

If I'm pulling poo poo out of my rear end why can't you reference or cite one actual thing to shut me up instead of just calling me an idiot repeatedly?
you havent had anything to say or contribute for 2 days but "you cant prove that!" and yet you are still posting as though that means you are an integral part of a conversation. if there is any way someone could shut you up it would be a loving miracle

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

gary oldmans diary posted:

you havent had anything to say or contribute for 2 days but "you cant prove that!" and yet you are still posting as though that means you are an integral part of a conversation. if there is any way someone could shut you up it would be a loving miracle

You could report my posts and a mod could then decide whether or not to probate me!

Sorry you're salty that your fantasy wank isn't real I guess.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

Moridin920 posted:

Sorry you're salty that your fantasy wank isn't real I guess.
the gently caress are you even talking about? i enter conversation and demonstrate that with elimination of unknowns a deterministic solution to thought experiment exists. you are incapable of understanding and make an idiot of yourself trying to win a conversation instead of take part in one. go do like i suggested earlier and play a video game

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

the gently caress are you even talking about? i enter conversation and demonstrate that with elimination of unknowns a deterministic solution to thought experiment exists. you are incapable of understanding and make an idiot of yourself. go do like i suggested earlier and play a video game

You def demonstrated how someone having a mini-stroke posts, yes.

Answer this post which you totally ignored:

TheSpamalope
Dec 30, 2008

by sebmojo
Lipstick Apathy

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
youve been attempting to come up with something that would qualify as a burn for a while and if you keep trying im sure youll eventually succeed. dont wait for a response just keep trying

Moridin920 posted:

Answer this post which you totally ignored:
i addressed the content therein without needing to quote it. i suppose this is confusing to you. and the big quote youre gonna win the conversation by saying i ignored has only 2 main paragraphs to me that both start with "I think you are probably right". is your handler typing out your posts for you? give them a break please

gary oldmans diary fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Feb 21, 2017

TheSpamalope
Dec 30, 2008

by sebmojo
Lipstick Apathy
Star trek philosophy? *sets phaser to :iceburn:*

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

youve been attempting to come up with something that would qualify as a burn for a while and if you keep trying im sure youll eventually succeed. dont wait for a response just keep trying

Are you ever gonna answer that post or just keep flailing around having a salty meltdown?

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

Moridin920 posted:

Are you ever gonna answer that post or just keep flailing around having a salty meltdown?
already have addressed everything in that post. you are retarded

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

already have addressed everything in that post. you are retarded

lmao so no, you won't address that post you'll just keep doing a Donald impression and making up things that never happened to suit your purpose.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
what part of that was not addressed? ill go line by line later just to demonstrate that you are a loving moron

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

quote:

The transporter was developed by the production staff of the original series as a solution of how to get crewmen off a planet quickly. The only alternative was to either land a massive ship each week, or regularly use shuttles for landings, both of which would have wreaked havoc on the production budget.
theres your answer nerds

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

"I CAN'T BELIEVE I ATE THE WHOLE THING"
Buglord
:yikes:

TheSpamalope
Dec 30, 2008

by sebmojo
Lipstick Apathy
Star trek is tearing this forum apart

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

i addressed the content therein without needing to quote it. i suppose this is confusing to you.

You didn't though, you just handwaved it away with "lol you believe in metaphysics still."

Is your shift key broken fam?

quote:

and the big quote youre gonna win the conversation by saying i ignored has only 2 main paragraphs to me that both start with "I think you are probably right". is your handler typing out your posts for you? give them a break please

quote:

I think you're probably right that persistent consciousness is a kind of illusion but I don't see how you can claim such certainty about this. Particularly as your fatuous description of the phenomenon of consciousness as "a electrical and chemical pattern" suggests that you are no expert on neurobiology.

Literally all I have asked is "how are you so sure though because you seem to be basing that argument on something that isn't a known factor?" and you're having a meltdown about it.

Or did you just read "I think you're probably right" and then ignore the rest?

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

TheSpamalope posted:

Sub way is tearing this forum apart

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

the gently caress are you even talking about? i enter conversation and demonstrate that with elimination of unknowns a deterministic solution to thought experiment exists. you are incapable of understanding and make an idiot of yourself trying to win a conversation instead of take part in one. go do like i suggested earlier and play a video game

Of course if you later move the goal posts and say "this is just a thought experiment that only works if you assume we can eliminate these unknowns!" which is radically different from your original position of "if you think I'm wrong, you believe in souls like a moron" well.......... get hosed lmao.

Why are you so salty about this?

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
"youre having a meltdown!" "youre doing a donald impersonation!"

youre trying to win a conversation with generic burns, bro. pro hint for you there :ssh:

quote:

Particularly as your fatuous description of the phenomenon of consciousness as "a electrical and chemical pattern" suggests that you are no expert on neurobiology.
the entire premise of the transporter is that is copies every aspect of the physical thing it scans. i dont need to explain how neurobiology works any more than i need to explain what the uniforms are made of. if you are suggesting that there is something that cant be scanned that is outside the premise of the transporter then you are very clearly saying there is something metaphysical there that makes up consciousness

only a dullard wouldnt understand this so of course look for another moridin920 post below

Moridin920 posted:

Of course if you later move the goal posts and say "this is just a thought experiment that only works if you assume we can eliminate these unknowns!" which is radically different from your original position of "if you think I'm wrong, you believe in souls like a moron" well.......... get hosed lmao.

Why are you so salty about this?
moving goal posts now... as in my 2nd post about transporters in this thread. im sorry you cant follow a conversation. i really am

gary oldmans diary fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Feb 21, 2017

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

"youre having a meltdown!" "youre doing a donald impersonation!"

youre trying to win a conversation with generic burns, bro. pro hint for you there :ssh:
the entire premise of the transporter is that is copies every aspect of the physical thing it scans. i dont need to explain how neurobiology works any more than i need to explain what the uniforms are made of. if you are suggesting that there is something that cant be scanned that is outside the premise of the transporter then you are very clearly saying there is something metaphysical there that makes up consciousness

only a dullard wouldnt understand this so of course look for another moridin920 post below
moving goal posts now... as in my 2nd post about transporters in this thread. im sorry you cant follow a conversation. i really am

Here's another post you totally ignored because it doesn't mesh with your insane logic of "I don't need to understand how this works to definitely state that it will work as I describe:"

numberoneposter posted:

There is a big a big problem with Multiplicity

People are telling you that you're missing important bits and you're just ignoring them and/or claiming they are dumb because they must be on some metaphysics.

Yeah lol you've made just two posts about it. Nobody click on the little ? in the bottom left corner!

You originally stated anyone who disagrees is dumb bc they must believe in a soul. People told you that's dumb and wrong, and now you're turning it into some "thought experiment" where you can just pick and choose which "unknowns" to "eliminate" because they contradict what you're saying.

quote:

if you are suggesting that there is something that cant be scanned that is outside the premise of the transporter then you are very clearly saying there is something metaphysical there that makes up consciousness

K so again, that's not what I'm suggesting.

Fuckin monster melt down lmao

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Feb 21, 2017

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

:burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug:

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

Moridin920 posted:

Yeah lol you've made just two posts about it. Nobody click on the little ? in the bottom left corner!
"about" it? ive restated the required premises whenever relevant. im sorry you cant read posts not addressed to you

Moridin920 posted:

People told you that's dumb and wrong
"you" are now "people". ok bro. keep trying to find a shortcut to winning a conversation without being able to participate in it

Moridin920 posted:

now you're turning it into some "thought experiment" where you can just pick and choose which "unknowns" to "eliminate" because they contradict what you're saying.
the unknowns to eliminate are the ones only you bring up so you can argue "you dont know how the technology works" when you are backed into a corner in the conversation. and how exactly does star trek contradict what i am saying? oddly enough you insinuate that it does and yet you never say how because you never contribute anything to the conversation

Moridin920 posted:

K so again, that's not what I'm suggesting.
yes ive heard over and over everything you are not suggesting. its very easy when someone points out where youre wrong to just say "thats not what i was saying" but it is very conventional at that point to explain what you are saying. which of course you would never do because there would be no way for you to not contradict yourself.

but take an opportunity. please tell us what you are saying

Moridin920 posted:

Fuckin monster melt down lmao
yeah, i see youre upset

Bob James
Nov 15, 2005

by Lowtax
Ultra Carp
Quit gettin' mad about Star Trek.

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010

Bob James posted:

Quit gettin' mad about Star Trek.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

"about" it? ive restated the required premises whenever relevant. im sorry you cant read posts not addressed to you
"you" are now "people". ok bro. keep trying to find a shortcut to winning a conversation without being able to participate in it
the unknowns to eliminate are the ones only you bring up so you can argue "you dont know how the technology works" when you are backed into a corner in the conversation. and how exactly does star trek contradict what i am saying? oddly enough you insinuate that it does and yet you never say how because you never contribute anything to the conversation
yes ive heard over and over everything you are not suggesting. its very easy when someone points out where youre wrong to just say "thats not what i was saying" but it is very conventional at that point to explain what you are saying. which of course you would never do because there would be no way for you to not contradict yourself.

but take an opportunity. please tell us what you are saying
yeah, i see youre upset

lmao

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

"I CAN'T BELIEVE I ATE THE WHOLE THING"
Buglord
Is this thread performance art or are these guys serious? So many layers of irony in gbs idk what's going on anymore

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Kuato posted:

Is this thread performance art or are these guys serious? So many layers of irony in gbs idk what's going on anymore

when you see back-to-back moridin and misanthrope posts you know its 100% serious and 100% AIDS.

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

a bone to pick posted:

when you see back-to-back moridin and misanthrope posts you know its 100% serious and 100% AIDS.

lol if anything ive made the goofiest posts itt along with spamalope

u just hate me because i keep owning you

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

Hey guys remember when I made that post about transporting all the bodily waste onto the bridge of the enemy ship. I'm being real serious in this thread

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I didn't realize that was a misanthrope; I like your new username.

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

Moridin920 posted:

I didn't realize that was a misanthrope; I like your new username.

:hfive: thnks bud

edit: live long and prosper *makes the shocker sign wit my hand

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Bodyholes posted:

If we're including Traveler Wesley we should also include Nth Degree Barclay

Fair, but I don't think his powers really compare. Dwarfed by the real G*ds.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Professor SJW posted:

u just hate me because i keep owning you

the only person you have ever owned on this forum is yourself with every post you make.

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

a bone to pick posted:

the only person you have ever owned on this forum is yourself with every post you make.

nice meltdown in the star trek thread :lol:

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
owned yourself again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

someonr call the holo doctor! bone to pick is having some kind of vulcan sperg fit

• Locked thread