Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

I'm pretty sure the replicator won't make alcohol at all OP, so that's the real problem there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

flick my Mr. Bean posted:

This is one of the two reasons I won't use teleporters. There's no difference between using a transporter and someone assembling a clone of you from atoms.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pdxucpPq6Lc

Psycho Society posted:

I'm pretty sure all the transporter does is take an image of your molecular state and recreates it somewhere else. I don't think there's any reason why they couldn't make a bunch of copies of someone or bring them back to life using an old 'save' except that it would weird people out.

This was the big finale of the awful 9/11 truther Star Trek movie, and it always seemed super bizarre to me that it didn't raise horrifying psychological questions for the whole crew. If Kirk was loving dead, and they replicated a Kirk that is not loving dead, isn't that a pretty huge flashing red alarm message that the transporter is killing and assembling clones all the time?

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

I actually kinda want a Star Trek spinoff series that takes place on some rimworld or something and focuses on dudes who refuse to join Starfleet because transporters are glittery suicide booths from Futurama.

Elukka posted:

The last time I had an internet philosophy discussion about this I basically came to the conclusion that while yes a transporter will kill you and create another you it doesn't matter because any continuance of being is probably an illusion anyway and your normal existence from moment to moment is probably an equivalent case.

I disagree so strongly with this but it's almost an impossible argument to counter sanely. Still, I'm going to try: you can make the argument that the "me" that wakes up tomorrow is different than the "me" I am now, but sleep isn't death - I can remember my dreams, I can get up in the middle of the night to take a piss, whatever. Not only that, but I can recall likely triggers from the day that inform and shape my dreams. Ergo it's the same consciousness.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Universe Master posted:

You lose whole atoms all the time, that are then replaced. You lose cells that are replaced. Your thoughts and mind changes all the time. Do you identify as the same person as five year old you? He was made up of totally different stuff and had totally different thoughts.

Truth is he's dead now, as are all the past yous, but it doesn't matter as long as there is continuity.

And you don't think that ripping all of your atoms apart and then reconstructing them somewhere else from different atoms might constitute a break in that continuity?

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Improbable Lobster posted:

Over 7 years all of the cells of all of your bones, including teeth, are reabsorbed and replaced. You have a whole new skeleton ever 7 years.

yeah all those fuckin enamel cells

that's why cavities heal themselves, right you loving moron? lol

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

you impossible idiot. you colossal dork.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

i am melting down over someone making up stupid poo poo in this thread about spaceman dishwashing. you utter half wit.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

realbez posted:

Don't worry in 7 years all of you will be new and all this outrage will have happened to someone else

lmao

I should really finish DS9 sometime huh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

chaosbreather posted:

Holy poo poo you guys we go through this every six months

Time clones you already. There ain't nothing connecting your brain now to your brain in the future, and similarly, the past. Such a thing would be a monstrous violation of causality, GR, QM and logic.

lol you don't know what words mean

• Locked thread