Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010
I'm pretty sure all the transporter does is take an image of your molecular state and recreates it somewhere else. I don't think there's any reason why they couldn't make a bunch of copies of someone or bring them back to life using an old 'save' except that it would weird people out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010
I haven't watched Star trek since 2008 I'm just spitballin' here

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010

food court bailiff posted:

This was the big finale of the awful 9/11 truther Star Trek movie, and it always seemed super bizarre to me that it didn't raise horrifying psychological questions for the whole crew. If Kirk was loving dead, and they replicated a Kirk that is not loving dead, isn't that a pretty huge flashing red alarm message that the transporter is killing and assembling clones all the time?

Yeah this seems like an interesting question, the whole transporter aspect of Star Trek raises some interesting questions about consciousness and life in general that's interesting to think about. It's weird to think that we might also accept a technology that useful and convenient of it existed in real life, even given disturbing philosophical implications.

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010

gary oldmans diary posted:

whether or not every transporter incident technically kills you doesnt really matter if you dont believe in a soul or afterlife
the new you isnt just some knockoff genetic clone. it has the exact biochemical pattern that you define as your consciousness. its you. it just seems like its not you when youre still keeping an open mind to their being an afterlife

From other people's perspective it is identical to you, from your perspective it makes no difference whether a copy is made or they just recycle your molecules into strawberry pocky

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010

gary oldmans diary posted:

youre assuming you experience death
if the process is instantaneous or otherwise not experienced then there is functionally no death. one moment your consciousness is here the next instant it is over there. if youre still hanging on to the idea that its different than that then youre still hanging on to the idea of a soul

Except it's not your consciousness, it's a copy of it. You won't experience anything after transporting. A clone with all your memories isn't you, it's just indistinguishable from you from an outside perspective.

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010

Universe Master posted:

We went over this earlier in the thread. If your worried about this, then you need to be worried that the you from 5 or so years ago who had a completely different atomic structure is dead now.

That's not similar at all.

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010

Bob James posted:

Quit gettin' mad about Star Trek.

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010
I'd upload myself to the holodeck, you're welcome ladies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010