Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Universe Master
Jun 20, 2005

Darn Fine Pie

They recycle everything on a starship, all the food, waste, and holodeck jizz.

You would be eating Riker's recycled cum, along with of course his non-recycled cum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Universe Master
Jun 20, 2005

Darn Fine Pie

food court bailiff posted:

I actually kinda want a Star Trek spinoff series that takes place on some rimworld or something and focuses on dudes who refuse to join Starfleet because transporters are glittery suicide booths from Futurama.

I disagree so strongly with this but it's almost an impossible argument to counter sanely. Still, I'm going to try: you can make the argument that the "me" that wakes up tomorrow is different than the "me" I am now, but sleep isn't death - I can remember my dreams, I can get up in the middle of the night to take a piss, whatever. Not only that, but I can recall likely triggers from the day that inform and shape my dreams. Ergo it's the same consciousness.

You lose whole atoms all the time, that are then replaced. You lose cells that are replaced. Your thoughts and mind changes all the time. Do you identify as the same person as five year old you? He was made up of totally different stuff and had totally different thoughts.

Truth is he's dead now, as are all the past yous, but it doesn't matter as long as there is continuity.

Universe Master
Jun 20, 2005

Darn Fine Pie

Applesnots posted:

I still have the same teeth from birth to death though?

Nope, all of your atoms are changed about every five years or so.

Universe Master
Jun 20, 2005

Darn Fine Pie

TheSpamalope posted:

Prove it. Show me an atom. You can't but I'll let you sink in your own ignorance and try to reply

I think you'll find my friend that jesus rode atoms in the bible.

Universe Master
Jun 20, 2005

Darn Fine Pie

spud posted:

Why are 95% of the races in startrek humanoid but with pointy ears or some pasty on their head?

No aliens that gene roddenberry wouldn't want to gently caress.

That's rule number 1.

Universe Master
Jun 20, 2005

Darn Fine Pie

My poop disappears when I flush it down the terlet.

Universe Master
Jun 20, 2005

Darn Fine Pie

there was that one episode where Barclay was awake and observant while being beamed, and you gotta wonder what was left of him to be observant while being transported.

Universe Master
Jun 20, 2005

Darn Fine Pie

TheSpamalope posted:

Fake riker pulled off a dope jack move on ds9 then gave up because of feelings. That was so lame.

Didn't even try and gently caress Kira before he gave up.

Universe Master
Jun 20, 2005

Darn Fine Pie

Psycho Society posted:

Except it's not your consciousness, it's a copy of it. You won't experience anything after transporting. A clone with all your memories isn't you, it's just indistinguishable from you from an outside perspective.

We went over this earlier in the thread. If your worried about this, then you need to be worried that the you from 5 or so years ago who had a completely different atomic structure is dead now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Universe Master
Jun 20, 2005

Darn Fine Pie

gary oldmans diary posted:

scotty backed himself up in a transporter pattern buffer for decades when his ship crashed into the dyson sphere

It didn't work for the other dude he was trying to save.

• Locked thread