Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
is motorcycling awesome
yes
hell yes
hell loving yes
View Results

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

builds character posted:

Or the reason that folks who ride scramblers are more about lifestyle than riding off-road. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=rwtWRc5ikMs

How are people not burning the poo poo out of their upper thigh constantly on the Triumph Scramblers? I'm lucky to be used to an under the seat exhaust, but that looks like the worst placement ever for the exhaust.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

-Inu- posted:

Sharpie over the white if you want them all black. No, I'm not joking; people do it all the time.

My A* SMX+ have annoying strips of white that make them look cheesier, and I've been thinking of taking a sharpie to them. My fear was it'd somehow look worse, but it sounds like i should just go for it.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

$1200 for a Ninja with a kickin rad paint job is great, I'm jealous. Not that you need to be going fast or on the freeway right away, but when you first get up to freeway speeds and it feels too fast, look farther ahead and it'll make everything feel slower (and give you more time to react).

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

TheNothingNew posted:

And if you feel like you really need to spend money, start looking at better gear. Can always spend more on gear.

If I had to start from scratch again, I'd buy the best, heaviest gear around, then get less protection as I felt the need for something more comfortable. I have A* smx plus boots, but now I'm wishing I bought the A* supertech-r boots instead. Same thing for the A* sp-2 gloves vs their higher end race ones. The only purchase I haven't made great use of is my A* leather pants, but I still like knowing I have them when I'm going out on the canyons. I'm now looking for some riding jeans, but I would have felt better when I was learning with the most protection possible.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Deep Thoreau posted:

So the Socal thread is closed, otherwise I'd post this there. Just got my bike, got my gear. What I need is some tips or advice! I'm near the VA, so I figure I'll go there at night and practice in a lot.

The parking lot is good but once you're ready for the streets, I'd probably avoid Wilshire and the other insanely crowded streets and head up to Bel Air (by way of Veteran, not the 405). The turns are tight enough that you won't be going too fast, but you'll get a good feeling for not running wide on turns, handling hills, etc. It's also not very crowded most of the time, which is a huge plus. After that you could start doing longer loops like Sunset to Beverly Glenn to Mulholland to Benedict Canyon back to Sunset. When you're comfortable with that PCH is great, but traffic will be going fast and you'll run into a lot of dongs in cars driving too fast / above their ability. I probably would avoid PCH at night at the beginning for that reason. You'll run into a lot of other bikers on PCH which can be helpful, but don't feel obligated to keep up.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

My sister swears she was more comfortable on the back of her husband's old Ducati than his cruisers ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Seconding the VIAIR compressors, this was AI recommended and it's so much better than the typical lovely 12v compressors you'll see. Much quieter, faster, and the built in gauge seems to be very accurate as long as it's not actively running. You just screw it on, run for a bit, hit off and look at the pressure, then turn it back on as needed.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0036E9VB6/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Buddy got his license recently and didn't listen to my advice of picking up a Ninja 300 with ABS (I figured their prices will drop now that the 400 is out, but didn't check), he's looking for a beginner bike that's around 600cc and has ABS. Are the standard recommend bikes in that range still the SV650 and the Ninja 650r?

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Sagebrush posted:

Those and the Ninja 500, I guess. Make sure he gets a twin -- a 600cc I4 supersport is a far more dangerous beginner bike than a 650cc V2 even though it's down on displacement.

Or, you know, yell at him until he gets something small.

I know, but the usual "room to grow" argument. So far his only comparison has been my Daytona and the 125cc MSF bike, he should probably test ride some other bikes to see if they actually feel slow to him.

captainOrbital posted:

Also the FZ-07 fits in there nicely.

I keep on forgetting about those, that's probably one of the better options. I think they only recently got ABS though, which may make finding a used one harder. Not sure if that's correct.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Coydog posted:

The irony is that you have way more room to grow on a 250 or sumo or something. 600+ is like having a foot wide ledge next to a 1000ft drop to "grow on".

Slavvy posted:

Flying is much the same. What kind of chump starts off on a cessna? No room to grow when you top out at 200mph with a tail wind. Better off learning on an F18; the throttle goes both ways after-all and they still move along plenty fine without switching on the afterburner.

I've tried to explain all of this, even explained that when I have more garage space I'm getting a second 300 or 400cc bike so I can wring the engine out around town and not die / get a ticket, but no luck. poo poo, a rode a 33hp Yamaha Majesty around Hawaii and it felt plenty fast, being a scooter I didn't have the balls to take it up to it's 90mph top speed. Even a 75hp fz-07 sounds like too much power for a beginner, but at least he's a fairly cautious guy so if any new rider will be fine, it's probably him. Of course part of the problem is no matter how cautious you are, accidentally spazzing with more power is always going to be an issue.

At least he's not trying to start with an old cafe racer project.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

The stupid vlogger style of quick cuts to random clips of other poo poo makes me want to go buy 600cc sportbikes for kids to learn on, just to piss this guy off

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Buying a used Prius is probably more financially responsible, especially if you're worried about safety. There are things about motorcycle crashes you can look up, for example this one, to get an idea of what makes it dangerous. Oddly enough, interstate roads (they have a link to the different definitions in that report) are only 10% of the fatalities. I don't know if that report has it, but I'm pretty sure the number one cause of bike accidents are the riders themselves loving up, not another car hitting them. Avoid drinking and riding your bike and the chance of crashing goes down even more.

*edit*
I think I was wrong on the bikes not having other cars involved, at least for fatalities. Maybe it's most accidents (but not necessarily fatalities) are single rider. From the report:

Data shows in 2015 that the most harmful event for 2,761 (54%) of
the 5,076 motorcycles involved in fatal crashes were collisions with
motor vehicles in transport.

In two-vehicle crashes, 74 percent of the motorcycles involved in
motor vehicle traffic crashes were frontal collisions. Only 7 percent
were struck in the rear.

Motorcycles were more frequently involved in fatal collisions with
fixed objects than other vehicle types. In 2015, 24 percent of the
motorcycles involved in fatal crashes collided with fixed objects,
compared to 17 percent for passenger cars, 13 percent for light
trucks, and 4 percent for large trucks.

In 2015, there were 2,448 two-vehicle fatal crashes involving a
motorcycle and another type of vehicle. In 41 percent (994) of these
crashes, the other vehicles were turning left while the motorcycles
were going straight, passing, or overtaking other vehicles. Both
vehicles were going straight in 545 crashes (22%).

MomJeans420 fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Apr 19, 2018

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

From a quick search it sounds like you can only ride with someone else in the immediate proximity who is also over 21 and has a valid motorcycle license, but I could be wrong. Check out this link.

quote:

The department shall issue a permit entitling the applicant, who is eighteen years of age or older, while having the permit in the applicant's immediate possession, to drive a motor vehicle or motorcycle upon the highways when accompanied by a driver, who holds a valid Colorado driver's license and is twenty-one years of age or older, who occupies the front seat of the motor vehicle, or if the vehicle is a motorcycle under the immediate proximate supervision of a driver, who is authorized under this article to drive a motorcycle.  The permit shall expire three years after issuance.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

I could be wrong, I read the material on the CO DMV's website and was just confused by it, so I figured the code would have the answer. Everything I've seen has been fairly poorly worded, but what else is new for government publications.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Jonny 290 posted:

Gloves: Revit Chevron 2. I was tired at this point, and didn't find a pair of gauntlets that I liked, so I came home with these. I'm not really wild about them though, and on advice of several, I'm going to return them and try harder to find a bigger glove. S'ok, can't always knock it out of the park.

Seeing as how they're not even cheap, I'd say you're making a good decision in returning them.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

I live near a famous road for bikes/cars and every so often I squid it up to the gas station and back with just gloves and my helmet, when I'm like that the ATGATT crowd never waves.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

There used to be a CA thread on defensive commuting techniques or something like that, but I think it's fallen into the archives. I had learned the SMIDSY weave from seeing other riders, but I didn't know it was A THING either until I heard it talked about on here. At this point for me it's just a habit if there's anyone waiting to turn as I'm approaching, maybe it's dumb but I really think it grabs their attention.

*edit*
Also, dropping your speed as you approach an intersection is a good idea, especially if you're already speeding. It sounds obvious, but I had to consciously do it for a (long) while before I made it a habit.

MomJeans420 fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Jul 9, 2018

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

That's what I was thinking of!

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

builds character posted:

It's also important to remember that it's inevitable that you will immediately buy whatever bike you go look at and hey, maybe it won't be perfect and you'll ruin anything but nobody's capable of resisting the sweet, siren call of their first bike.

Quoting for truth. I have a friend who is the most level headed, fiscally responsible guy I know, who recently bought his first bike. After agreeing with me that ABS is a must have, he went out and bought the first FZ-07 he saw, even though it didn't have ABS, and they're not exactly hard to find. He had taken the MSF class and gotten his license way before he bought the bike, but once he was in bike buying mode there was just no way to get him to wait a week or two to find a bike that checked all the boxes.

It's now been a few months and he was telling that now that he's comfortable on the bike, he's pushing the limits a bit more, and recently got the front and the back end loose (on separate occasions) due to braking too hard.

Sagebrush posted:

If you've never been on a cruiser, though, it might be worth trying to find some place you can try one out for a few hours. Maybe a buddy who owns a couple of bikes? The seating position is very different from other motorcycles -- the forward controls and rearward lean can put some strain on your back, which I understand can also be a particular point of pain with very tall people -- so you should see if you like the feel before you buy one.

My brother and I are roughly the same size (both over 6'), he has a Harley and I have a Daytona. Neither of us can stand the position of the other's bike, and we both find the seating position of the other's bike incredibly awkward and lame. Obviously I'm in the right here, but I guess a big part of it is what you get used to (ignoring the obvious benefits to the sportbike position for turns and higher speeds). Although he is also right that the Daytona isn't exactly comfortable either.

MomJeans420 fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Jul 13, 2018

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Wait Euro 4 regs require linked brakes? Why?

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

I had the same thing in Rhode Island, people with absolutely no gear who were Flintstoning it through intersections. I don't even mean that as some goon "all riders without gear are horrible" thing, I was genuinely amazed at how poor the basic low speed skills were of a lot of the riders. It was hot and humid, so I'm sure it felt nicer than wearing a full face.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Quite A Tool posted:

I feel super wasteful now cause I just buy a giant box of hearos and keep a baggie of them in my tank bag. I trash em when i get to my destination and throw in a fresh pair on the way back.

I thought that's what 99% of us did

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

When I first saw the post about Moto Guzzi V7iii I tried to go to their page to see what it looked like and after hanging for a while it returned a server error. It worked again a few minutes later, but that can't bode well

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

ImplicitAssembler posted:

Hahah, then you should check the Triumphs :D

Triumph: Bonneville T100 - 900cc - 54hp; Scrambler - 865cc - 54hp

Also Triumph: Daytona 675 - 675cc - 123hp

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

(I know they're tuned for different applications)

alr posted:

A friend of mine has a W800 which is pretty similar spec-wise. Low compression ratio and low redline, it was weird riding a bike with the same rpm as a car

My brother has a Harley FXR from the 80s and I think the redline is somewhere in the mid 5ks, but you can also take off from a stop without giving it any throttle. I don't find it comforting to ride, but that may just be because I haven't put that many miles on it.

MomJeans420 fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Mar 30, 2019

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

For $100 you can get Alpinestars SP-2 gloves, or for $270 you can get what seems to be pretty popular in CA, Knox Handroid gloves. A* also has the GP line of gloves which should be around $200.

I thought my A* SP-2 felt solid until I bought Handroids, now the SP-2 feel pretty light on protection in comparison. I used to wear my SP-2 gloves if I was going to a concert and leaving my gloves in my tank bag, but now I just wear the Handroids and hope for the best. I lock my helmet to the bike by resting it on top of the tank bag and running a thick chain through the area above the chinbar on the helmet and the triple tree on the bike, once it's locked it's hard to open the tank bag anyway.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

pokie posted:

Since you got a center stand, you don't need to get a rear wheel stand. For a chain brush I recommend Tirox 360 degree Brush. It saves a fair bit of time over a conventional chain brush.

I already have a brush, but I had revzilla cash plus a little remaining on a gift card so I just picked this up for free. Will try it out this weekend.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

poo poo I've been "rinsing" mine with WD-40

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

I tried wearing the usual foam plugs to concerts and it blocked too much of the sound and I'd end up taking them out. However, my DJ friend who also has tinnitus recommend Eargasms, which have a dumb name but worked really well. We both wore them for a four day rave earlier this year and felt like they were the perfect mix of comfort plus allowing all the frequencies through, and we did not have increased ringing in our ears after it was over. You can spend a lot more on custom plugs, but for the price I'm happy with those.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Rolo posted:

I stalled for the first time today with like 8 people behind me. The lane next to me was closed off so I just shame walked out of the way.

If you stall and get flustered, you're often going to keep on stalling. What helped when I stalled at first was taking the time to pause for a second, not stress, and think about what you're doing. The people behind you are going to be waiting either way, but if you keep on stalling they'll be waiting longer.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Martytoof posted:

My biggest worry about stalling is being in a left turn lane against oncoming traffic, tbh.

I figure you're usually going to stall before you get moving, so you're not super likely to stall right in front of oncoming cars. But you don't have to cut it close anyway, just wait for a bigger gap or the light to turn red.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

drat it, beaten by slavvy on Italian tune ups

pokie posted:

I still stall once in a blue moon after ~50k miles of riding. Usually it happens on one of the bikes I ride less often. I have never stalled in motion because none of those is a Duke 690 (shots fired). I wouldn't worry about that. What can happen is running out of gas. It's not fun :v:. My MV went from 70 to <40mph pretty quickly on the highway.

I don't stall (but I only have one bike), but I still accidentally click into neutral sometimes and every time it's still surprising. Usually happens if I'm being bad and wearing something dumb like skate shoes instead of my boots.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

I failed my driving test the first time because I didn't look both ways down cross streets as I approached/passed them, so I missed a point or two for every cross street. I will say riding a bike has made me better than ever at checking perpendicular traffic, even in the car.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Re: shifting, when I was first learning I for some reason kept on avoiding shifting, it just seemed like one more thing to deal with so I'd just get the bike into 2nd and leave it there unless I came to a stop. At some point I just said gently caress it and found a nice straight but not crowded road where I didn't have to worry about anything else, and I think it was literally 5 mins of just shifting up and down until I realized it really wasn't that hard. I found that most things that seemed hard at first, like taking off from a stop and not stalling, were easily fixed by going somewhere empty (or a parking lot) and just focusing on that one thing for a tiny bit of time. Even just 10 or 15 mins of focusing on one thing will make a huge improvement, at least it did for me. Part of what's crazy about a bike at first is you have so much to deal with that's new, so getting practice on the basics and not having to worry about anything else really helps.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Sagebrush posted:

- For a helmet to be DOT-certified, the manufacturer has to write a letter to the DOT affirming that they think the helmet would meet the DOT standards if tested, and then they are allowed to put the DOT sticker on the back. At a later date the DOT may choose to test some helmets off the shelf, and if they are found to not meet DOT standards, they will be pulled from sale.

seriously? :piss:

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

I tried a number of GoPro mounts and my favorite has been chin mounted. I used this 3D printed RF-1200 adapter, but the site now says the guy running it was hit by a drunk driver and everything is out of commission for an indefinite time. Maybe there are alternatives out there, it works really well and gets a much better pic than a chest mount. It's just barely in my field and view and my GoPro's battery life isn't awesome, so I don't run it all the time, but I probably should

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

That seat looks pretty comfy

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Besides the fact that you won't be braking as fast as cars, you can't always control how far the car behind you is, but you can control how much room you have to the car in front. Even if you were popping amazing stoppies in an emergency situation, you don't want to get rear ended by the car behind you.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Sagebrush posted:

Hit a speed bump or pothole and the force will be transmitted directly into your wrists (hope you don't accidentally twist the throttle!).

From personal experience, an accidental power wheelie when you're learning is terrifying and does nothing to make you more comfortable when you're already trying to absorb everything. Like most things when you're learning how to ride (keep your weight off your wrists, look farther ahead, look through turns, if you think you're going too fast for a turn you're probably not and are better off just leaning more rather than hitting the brakes), it's easy to read them and think you understand them, but applying them when you're freaked out is a whole different story.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

For all we know, he may have a giant back panther tattoo. Or maybe something even worse? But it's hard to beat this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

I'm in SoCal so the 50s is cold for me, but a long time ago someone on here recommended a neck gaitor and they are seriously a game changer. Cheap and easy to pack, but there are times where just that makes up for having an extra jacket under my bike jacket.