Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
is motorcycling awesome
yes
hell yes
hell loving yes
View Results

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

T Zero posted:

Thanks for the reading list. It's still winter here, so books are the main way I'm going to get any semblance of skill improvement.

I'm kinda bored of all the moto-vloggers and skill videos on YouTube, which I find do an ok job of showing, but not explaining what's actually going on.

This channel is kinda interesting for a little while and his videos that commentate about handling emergency situations (like your buddy crashing) are also pretty cool

https://www.youtube.com/user/Stubbs928

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Does Honda do demo events?

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Yuns posted:

I think it's really telling that MotoGP riders train in the offseason with dirt bikes on dirt flat tracks. Rossi has a dirt flat track built near his home. Marquez used to race flat track.

Also most of those guys have a no riding street bikes clauses in their contract I thought.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Finally got everything legal with the bike, so I took it out this morning to a school parking lot in my neighborhood and practiced smooth starts, emergency stops, weaves etc all the basic msf things. Rode around the neighborhood and down dirt alleys to get a feel of how the ABS feels when you lock up the brakes.

Things I'm having a hard time with are I need to be more revvy with the throttle. I think I have the car clutch mindset where I'm trying to be as smooth as possible between the clutch and throttle, but I know you can slip motorcycle clutches all day long. As a result I stalled a bunch of times.

Another thing that happens during emergency stops is I'm giving the bike throttle unintentionally. I think this is because I'm braking with two fingers and maybe my thumb is just rolling thr throttle under hand pressure.

Going to practice some more later tonight when it cools off.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Razzled posted:

outriding your lizard brain rarely ends up good
https://streamable.com/4odud

I liked the woo-hoo.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

So i've been out a few more times just buzzing around my neighborhood, getting comfortable with the stopping procedure, shifting etc. Everything is already a hundred times smoother than the first time out, including throttle control in first gear. I also picked up some SMX6 boots from my local Cycle Gear and I don't know if i'm just getting better used to operating the shifter but it's considerably easier in the moto boots - as is the intention i'm sure. Plan to rack up another 3-5 hours of this same type of thing before venturing out to bigger roads.

One funny observation I had this week is that 20mph on a motorcycle feel very fast at this point. Whereas I was rolling along at 18-20 on my bicycle with a friend and it feels entirely normal and safe.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Wooooo 10000rpm is so exciting even if you're only doing 50!!

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

What color did yall get?

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

I'm jealous of the orange wheels. Not black would have been my first choice too.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

I got tinnitus anyway and I've always been very protective of my ears :( But I don't believe I have hearing loss and can still hear pretty high in the hz range for an adult.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

If you're able bodied, a bicycle would be perfect for what you're looking to do imo.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Congrats on your new MT03!

I logged ~120 miles of mostly fun back roads on mine this weekend and got the first oil change done.

When I'm shifting down for a stop, should I be doing any rev matching with the throttle? Or just let the clutch do its thing?

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

I think it's generally on the merging driver to merge into the flow of traffic without disrupting it... but it's wiser on your end to preempt the danger and move over left one lane wether you're in a car or on bike.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

I'd say you could look at the middleweight adv bikes, T700, whatever 800 bmw designation, versys 650, ktm 790(?) if you wanted more doodads and electronics and umph. On the flip side, you could go dual sport route if you're doing more offroad riding. But it seems to be pretty much a perfect commuter, which is your main use case.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

T3 would be perfect addition to the lineup.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

The 400 engine and frame are completely different from the 300 and the frame in the versys. It won't happen for a long time until they completely revamp the littlest versys.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Foxtrot_13 posted:

We are not going to go back to cable throttles. Electronic throttles are too useful and allow all sorts of things like throttle maps (sport, rain etc), better traction control and better emissions. All are much better benefits over any that cables can give.

I don't think Yamaha got your memo.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

I rode some highway this weekend for the first time and between the strong wind, 18 wheelers all over the place on a divided 2 lane highway and it being at the end of our 4 hours out... I was happy when my buddy signaled that he needed to exit to get gas. Then we took a route through town to get home.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Some real goon stuff itt

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

I watched a university motocop blow a red the other night while out riding my bicycle.

Cops of every kind can get hosed.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

SEKCobra posted:

Anyone know Why some riders let their leg 'drag' in the air after taking off? I think it's a race thing but I don't get it.

Weak hip flexor, making them unable to get their leg up quickly enough.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Has anyone taken the advance riding course before? Did you like it? Was it worthwhile?

Russian Bear fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Jun 7, 2021

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Pine Cone Jones posted:

After numerous interruptions on the road to buying a bike of my own, mostly house expenses, I was initially thinking on a KLR 650 or DR650, but given that I'll likely never do off road riding, I was looking at an mt03, though I've yet to test ride it. Are they decent bikes so far or best avoided?

Ride one for sure, it's got a very low seat height which is great or not so great depending on your biomechanics/body. I love mine!!

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Reflective gear helps reduce a risk factor. Does that mean you won't get hit? No.

You try to reduce risk factors all the time on motorcycles in other ways. I don't know why reflective gear is treated any different. Just because you're not actively "doing" something doesn't make it not work.

It's ok to say "i don't think the marginal increase in safety is worth it to me" because x y z, without dismissing scientific evidence.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Slavvy posted:

No, I disagree with the entire premise. I don't think it's not worthwhile, I think it's useless in an absolute sense. I reject the idea that any visibility-increasing device within the realm of practicality makes any difference at all. I think these conclusions are based on statistical correlation, have never been experimentally tested by strapping gopro's to a bunch of commuters (if someone has done this I want to know) and only qualify as scientific evidence if you squint really hard or think bikes are like an RPG where all the 2% buffs add up.

I realize this isn't a popular view and I'm not going to discourage anyone from festooning themselves with lights and fluoro, I just don't think it's any more effective at preventing crashes than a dreamcatcher or mood ring would be.

If you're a learner wondering how to be safer from the cars, the answer is the best gear and training you can afford, and a neverending eastern-front-like vigilance. If you can afford the time and cost of putting lights and stuff on then do it, it can't hurt, but if you have limited resources it is drastically better to put them into your skill, machine or riding gear.

Can you stop moving the goal posts maybe? No one said anything about limited resources.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Loud exhausts upset my dog. He's not too jazzed about my motorcycle exhaust noise, but i'm hoping he'll associate the noise getting louder with me getting home and maybe that will make him less freaked out by fireworks and such.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Motorcyclegear.com doesn't charge tax if you're outside Texas which can be a decent discount if you're dropping 1 to 1.5k on gear.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

I had a small fall over today. Went out to practice u turns, figure 8s and emergency braking at a local office park. We used to hold a bicycle race there, but since development happened, no longer the case. The nice thing is there are a bunch of bollards so that square of road isn't accessible to cars unless they drive over some curbs.

Minor scratches:

Fender took most of it, looks like I can get a replacement for like $30.

Where it happened:

What happened:

It's hard to tell from the pic, but the road slants slightly towards the curb near where my bike is, so u turns towards the curb are downhill ever so slightly. I had done a handful of u turns already in that spot, but this time I think I let the clutch out too fast and/or too much throttle, which put my tire into the curb and i fell over into the dirt to my right. The passenger peg assembly fell on my lower leg, WEAR A TALL BOOT yall. I'm unscathed thanks to my SMX6s.

For a few moments I felt really upset about crashing while practicing, but I've been watching a lot of the MotoJitsu videos on youtube and remembered what fast Eddie said "not crashing doesn't make you a good rider" and did a bunch more emergency stops and stops and starts. I was able to stop from 30mph consistently within 25 feet, half the time I did it in 20. I even once did a little stoppie at the protest of the front ABS.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

My local Italian bike dealer has a 2018 dorsoduro still sitting around, maybe it'll still be there in a couple years for me to low ball them.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Slavvy posted:

MV agustas are literally Ducatis with an inline engine. Electrical architecture, cycle parts, geometry etc are basically identical and many parts clearly come from the same factories. It seems like they spent their effort on developing the i4 engine and shortcutted the other stuff by just cloning a Ducati, I'll bet anything tamburini had a development mule 996 with a hacked up frame and i4 bodged in.

Also somehow even more expensive than a ducati? There's an mv augusta at a local dealer listed at 30k 0.o

Edit: brutale 1000rr for 32k

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

We are getting some much needed rain in the desert (yay monsoons) this weekend and I'm excited to go practice some riding on wet pavement.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

I rode 20 miles or so on the highway today because I wanted to get home and figured I should practice it a little more after reading your posts. 18 wheelers and shredded 18 wheeler tires and high wind and naked bike... well ok it wasn't as nerve wrecking as the last time (my first time), but it still sucks being around huge trucks with poor sight lines on a 2 lanes in one direction split highway.

Not sure why everyone moans and groans about mt03 not being fast "enough" around 80mph. I had all the maneuverability I wanted and I'm even tall and on heavier side.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

T Zero posted:

Just heard from my sibling that my lil nephew blabbed to my parents that I have a motorcycle. Now I have to have the fourth most-awkward conversation with my parents in the near future. The MSF course did not prepare me for this.

My quote from when my parents came to visit recently:

"I didn't tell you because I didn't want the lecture"

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Cyber Punk 90210 posted:

I got a motorcycle! :whatup:

I ended up getting a used 2015 Suzuki TU250X with 700 miles from a shop that was surprisingly close to me

I paid $4500

which, I know, is just under retail but the bike is pretty much new. Turns out I picked the worst possible time to buy - everyone is low on inventory, especially sub 750cc. Even the listings on Craigslist and FB marketplace are either inflated or "Needs TLCplease note, will not startalso needs many parts"
plz don't make fun of me for over paying :ohdear:

:swoon:

Fantastic! You can watch this f9 video to make yourself feel even bettsr about your decision, the TU part starts at 9 min
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=r6g6_CJZI_c

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Thats why people don't recommend putting a phone you care about on your bars. RIP phone camera.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Martytoof posted:

You know I posted earlier about not wanting to ridie when I’m in a poo poo mood, but I had to put my dog down this morning and I was just so restless and numb all day afterward that I needed to get out of the house and took the bike out for an hour this evening and man — I don’t know if it’s because I just got to do something fun on such a lovely day but I just absolutely loved every second of it. I went and did a bunch of roundabouts and maybe being a little numb actually helped me because I wasn’t feeling all the anxiety about tipping and ended up doing some slower speed stuff pretty well.

Losing your dog friend is always the worst, sorry to hear. Glad you got to get out of your head on your bike.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

"I an intellectual...."

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

I did my first night ride this evening. Started around sunset and rode out of town. At first all the lights were kind of a sensory overload, but then I got used to it. The hardest thing was getting a good idea where all the cars are around you in town. Darkness and bright headlights kinda flatten everything out. I usually have a really good "radar" during the day as far as where I am in relation to how the cars around me are moving, but it was much harder to tell at night how close behind me a car was in an adjacent lane.

Also showed me all the imperfections in my visor. Speaking of which, are some brands better at clarity than others? Or is it all same stuff?

I keep meaning to ask what yall do in this situation...if you have 2 turn lanes available (say left), do you typically take the outside one? Seems to me like there are more escape routes in the outside turn lane in case the car on the inside goes wide (because no one knows how to take a turn in their enormous vehicle). On the other hand, more likely to encounter some sort of path of travel violation from someone else turning/merging.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Midjack posted:

Score. I'm now the proud owner of a blue CB300R ABS with 4900 on the clock. PO added frame sliders and a battery tender USB port that he has an iPhone connector plugged into, looks like it's in great shape and mercifully unmolested. Now to the DMV for reg and plate, and then I can start looping in the school parking lot down the street.

I love the styling, especially in blue with the gold forks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Pine Cone Jones posted:

I have a bit of a dumb question, maybe. Having test driven or ridden some friends bikes at this point, among them a klr 650, an xt250, z400, and an mt03 I'm not sure what would be best in the long run in Central PA. The roads can suck around here and I'd be afraid of something happening on a more street oriented bike because of rougher roads and massive potholes. I haven't yet had a chance to try a dr650 but am still leaning towards something like a dual sport. Is this silly reasoning?

How about the klx300sm? Or the dual sport version?