Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
is motorcycling awesome
yes
hell yes
hell loving yes
View Results

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Coydog posted:

:mods: new thread title when?

FINE. But I'm only doing it because of the incredible unity created by you two agreeing on something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

lmao

T Zero
Sep 26, 2005
When the enemy is in range, so are you

builds character posted:

I have a not super helpful tip which is ride some dirt. Maybe something like cornerspin depending on where you are. It will help you learn that the bike moving under you is OK. The bike really wants to stay up and as a general rule you’re the one that will make bad things happen with overreaction. Otherwise, as folks have said, just accept that there’s some wind and relax and ride through it. My guess is it’s the anticipation of getting blown around that’s causing issues.

You've inspired me. I found a dirt bike class not too far from me and I'm going to see if I can book a lesson next month.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

For real, riding dirt teaches you a ton about the dynamics of motorcycles and how the answer is often “let the bike do its thing”

You won’t regret it

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I really want to get into dirt but I’ll be damned if I can find a place to do it. Surprisingly hard.

I would drop a few grand on a dirt vehicle this summer if I can get that sorted.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Apr 26, 2021

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

For real, riding dirt teaches you a ton about the dynamics of motorcycles and how the answer is often “let the bike do its thing”

You won’t regret it

It also demonstrates that every bike behaves like a dirt bike if you go fast enough. Dirt bikes let you do marc Marquez poo poo without needing 300hp, a race track and the skills of a demigod.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

well i grabbed a fist full of front brake trying to stop for a light while going too fast and layer dan

im ok and the bike is ok

the bike did a good slide (through the light i was trying to stop for while i remained safely behind the line) and the right frame slider snapped so the fairing has looked better

also my brother dad gave me some brand new michelin pilot power 2ct so gonna get those bad boys on there

definitely of a learning experience, gonna simmer down

But Not Tonight
May 22, 2006

I could show you around the sights.

welp I did it, I bought me a drz after watching the last one I looked at get snapped up and the pnw market for them just being empty as gently caress

it's an absolute blast and I love it. I wanna sign up for some dirt classes and a refresher msf (I still have my endorsement, it's just been a while and I'm not what I would call experienced) just so I make sure I'm doin things right. now I just gotta find me a workspace because owning a bike while living in an apt sucks

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Hell yeah! I had a go on a drz the other day and I was grinning the whole time.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

That looks super rad! I love it. DRZs are going for nuts money around me unfortunately, but I guess all hobby stuff is so that shouldn't be a surprise :(

numberoneposter posted:

well i grabbed a fist full of front brake trying to stop for a light while going too fast and layer dan

im ok and the bike is ok

Glad you're ok! Stay safe :O

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.

Slavvy posted:

It also demonstrates that every bike behaves like a dirt bike if you go fast enough. Dirt bikes let you do marc Marquez poo poo without needing 300hp, a race track and the skills of a demigod.
I think it's really telling that MotoGP riders train in the offseason with dirt bikes on dirt flat tracks. Rossi has a dirt flat track built near his home. Marquez used to race flat track.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

But Not Tonight posted:

welp I did it, I bought me a drz after watching the last one I looked at get snapped up and the pnw market for them just being empty as gently caress

it's an absolute blast and I love it. I wanna sign up for some dirt classes and a refresher msf (I still have my endorsement, it's just been a while and I'm not what I would call experienced) just so I make sure I'm doin things right. now I just gotta find me a workspace because owning a bike while living in an apt sucks

This is awesome and I love that color scheme! Those wheels :swoon:

Great bikes, I’ve owned two of them and a third is not out of the question. You won’t be disappointed!

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

But Not Tonight posted:

Is this the first new rider goon who has actually taken this advice?

gently caress yeah, this is one of the best bikes.

But Not Tonight
May 22, 2006

I could show you around the sights.

I came in here asking about an antique a few months back and was told to quit bein stupid, buy a bike that works. I got a few suggestions and I had it narrowed down to a rebel 500 and this, finally decided on this because of where I am and I am supremely happy with it. I haven't done any trails/fire roads or anything of the sort yet but I'm really looking forward to finding some folks to trail ride with and get out there

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

that's one of the best looking DRZs I've seen, congrats

numberoneposter posted:

Parking lot braking drills are a good idea, especially if it's raining

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

But Not Tonight posted:

I came in here asking about an antique a few months back and was told to quit bein stupid, buy a bike that works. I got a few suggestions and I had it narrowed down to a rebel 500 and this, finally decided on this because of where I am and I am supremely happy with it. I haven't done any trails/fire roads or anything of the sort yet but I'm really looking forward to finding some folks to trail ride with and get out there

The Honda rebel series are really good bikes

That DRZ is better

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

But Not Tonight posted:

:krad: Supermotos rock and suzukis own and you are gonna love the freedom a sumo gives you. Try and find fire service roads near you so you can ride gravel through the woods all day.

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Is this the first new rider goon who has actually taken this advice?

gently caress yeah, this is one of the best bikes.

Razzled, but he bought new against advice.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Coydog posted:

:krad: Supermotos rock and suzukis own and you are gonna love the freedom a sumo gives you. Try and find fire service roads near you so you can ride gravel through the woods all day.

Alternately, blast down every alley you can find.

Both are a lot of fun

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

numberoneposter posted:

im ok and the bike is ok

the bike did a good slide (through the light i was trying to stop for while i remained safely behind the line) and the right frame slider snapped so the fairing has looked better

also my brother dad gave me some brand new michelin pilot power 2ct so gonna get those bad boys on there

definitely of a learning experience, gonna simmer down

What's the term for when you're like, totally surprised except the total opposite of that? That's me rn. I know trying to give you helpful advice is a waste so please: get a gopro so we can watch you keep learning about leopards with your face.

But Not Tonight posted:

The contrast between this post and the previous is eye-watering, well done.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I put out some feelers on dirt schools in the area. Hopefully someone has some info. I see dirtbikes parked in almost every garage when I take a walk down the street, these people have to be using them somewhere??

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

Slavvy posted:

What's the term for when you're like, totally surprised except the total opposite of that? That's me rn. I know trying to give you helpful advice is a waste so please: get a gopro so we can watch you keep learning about leopards with your face.
yeah im actually pretty embarrassed though, not fishing for approval or sympathy or anything i know i hosed up and i got lucky and i know it

i also disappointed that the frame slider snapped, is that common?

numberoneposter fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Apr 26, 2021

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

If it was a cheapo slider then the bolt was probably cheap chinese garbage and it's not a surprise that it snapped. In any event, it probably did its job and took the brunt of impact before snapping. Sliders are never going to save you from trashed plastic on anything but a slow tip-over.

GriszledMelkaba
Sep 4, 2003

Brother Dad

But is that an actual motosport storefront?

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Slavvy posted:

I think he's on a Ninja 650 which used to be a CA approved starter bike, albeit at the limit

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

numberoneposter posted:

yeah im actually pretty embarrassed though, not fishing for approval or sympathy or anything i know i hosed up and i got lucky and i know it

I'm curious what kind it is, do you know the brand and how it was attached? Definitely seems like a toss up with sliders, especially the peg kind that jut out more from the frame, when you put any kind of speed into the impact. Could you tell if it at least helped out keeping the exhaust and other hard parts from grinding asphalt?

Also glad you're OK!

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

note sure of the brand but i can take pics when i get home.

the wheel spool worked well to keep the swingarm and stuff off the ground except the brake pedal which got slightly bent. the ninja 650 exhaust is actually undernearth the bike. mirror and bar end weight also broke.

T-Shaped
Jan 16, 2006

The weapons you pick up along the way help. At least they help you do less talking.
Found out last weekend the battery was not as new as the seller suggested. Replaced it with an AGM and it's nice to have electric start again, although it wasn't too awful using the kickstart for a bit on the CL350.

Carb floats were a bit sticky too, so ended up just cleaning the whole suckers out and it now idles nice and friendly now at stoplights.

On the one hand, I can see the benefit to just having A Bike That Works, but I'm really enjoying the learning process more than I thought I would. Going to keep doing little bits as I go - going to swap the bulbs over to LEDs next but more than happy just riding it around until I get to it.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

numberoneposter posted:

numberoneposter posted:

note sure of the brand but i can take pics when i get home.

the wheel spool worked well to keep the swingarm and stuff off the ground except the brake pedal which got slightly bent. the ninja 650 exhaust is actually undernearth the bike. mirror and bar end weight also broke.

I'm pretty sure we told you to get a 125/250 and you said no and that you'd be fine on a 650.

You know what small bikes are? Forgiving. I know this because I had (have) one and I remember loving up and doing dumb poo poo by accident on it, and the 125 letting it go because it didn't have super sharp brakes and weighed nothing.

You'd more than likely not have eaten poo poo if you were on a smaller bike, and if it was a used 125/250, had it fallen down, you'd not have given two hoots about it because that is literally what those bikes are for, to learn on.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Go easy on him. I don't want him to clam up and hold out on future details cuz you poo poo on him too much.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

i overestimated my experience for sure but im not the first new rider to low side a bike by grabbing too much brake, the bike isnt totalled, not even close, and i probably would have low sided a 300 in that situation any ways, i put myself in the situation not the bike's speed

that said maybe 650s are like the ford mustang of bikes, a little too much on tap for some people

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

125s don’t really exist in the US fwiw, not sure where OP lives.

Also that particular 650 is definitely not like a mustang. Well maybe the lovely 4/6 pot mustang of yesteryear (the modern eco boost 4cyl is actually not bad)

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

numberoneposter posted:

i overestimated my experience for sure but im not the first new rider to low side a bike by grabbing too much brake, the bike isnt totalled, not even close, and i probably would have low sided a 300 in that situation any ways, i put myself in the situation not the bike's speed

that said maybe 650s are like the ford mustang of bikes, a little too much on tap for some people

Dude it's totally fine. You started on a 650, and one of the tamer 650's at that. Is it too heavy for you, with enough power to get you into trouble? Yes, absolutely. But CA used to recommend 650's all day every day, and I started on an SV650. I'll 100% tell you it was a huge costly painful mistake to start on a bike that fast, and didn't "get gud" until I got a 250cc.

I'm rabidly in the camp of "get a 250/300, and a sumo if you can" for a first bike, but it's not like you got a supersport/literbike.

Having humility about this, like you have been, is great and welcome here. Don't get discouraged.

GriszledMelkaba
Sep 4, 2003

just keep riding. the only post mortem you gotta worry about writing you'll be dead for anyway

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

TheBacon posted:

125s don’t really exist in the US fwiw, not sure where OP lives.

Also that particular 650 is definitely not like a mustang. Well maybe the lovely 4/6 pot mustang of yesteryear (the modern eco boost 4cyl is actually not bad)

I think a ninja 650 is exactly like an early 00's v8 mustang in that it's a perfectly good normal, simple vehicle that absolute drooling mouth breathers think is amazingly fast and powerful, and they are very often owned by people who have no idea what they're doing but were too manly to just get a normal car.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

any way...what do you guys do for bags on your sport bikes? eventually id like to do a bit of a road trip to see my friends in the city over once covid has settled down. so far just been just looking at some soft bags that hang over the rear seat.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Slavvy posted:

I think a ninja 650 is exactly like an early 00's v8 mustang in that it's a perfectly good normal, simple vehicle that absolute drooling mouth breathers think is amazingly fast and powerful, and they are very often owned by people who have no idea what they're doing but were too manly to just get a normal car.

On further thought that might be more fair. I was thinking more the current gen coyotes and how they are actually legit potent cars now

numberoneposter posted:

any way...what do you guys do for bags on your sport bikes? eventually id like to do a bit of a road trip to see my friends in the city over once covid has settled down. so far just been just looking at some soft bags that hang over the rear seat.

I have https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/sw-motech-blaze-saddle-bag-system for my MT-09 I also have a couple Kreiga universal bags, 30L and 10L. Ninja 650 probably has more options though

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

I have a Cortech magnetic tank bag that works really well and expands to double its size if needed.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Tank bags are very convenient for everyday poo poo like tire repair kits or spare gloves but the most versatile luggage I have is a Kriega US-30 tail bag, it's quality stuff.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

FBS posted:

Tank bags are very convenient for everyday poo poo like tire repair kits or spare gloves but the most versatile luggage I have is a Kriega US-30 tail bag, it's quality stuff.

Top boxes are loving fantastic from a utilitarian perspective. Not denying they're universally ugly, but it's amazing how convenient it is just having a place to stash all of your gear when you get off the bike, much less carry groceries or other poo poo around without hassle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Yuns posted:

I think it's really telling that MotoGP riders train in the offseason with dirt bikes on dirt flat tracks. Rossi has a dirt flat track built near his home. Marquez used to race flat track.

Also most of those guys have a no riding street bikes clauses in their contract I thought.