Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
is motorcycling awesome
yes
hell yes
hell loving yes
View Results

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

https://www.uhaul.com/FrequentlyAskedQuestions/202/Trailertowing-Rentals/ says there are no per-mile charges for trailer rentals (unless they're point-to-point). How would they measure it, anyway?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

My instructors tell me that covering with the inner fingers only is a bad idea, because if you panic brake you could pinch your outer fingers with the brake handle.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I usually hold the nozzle so I can see how much is in the tank, but I have yet to have the automatic cutoff system fail on me. I don't know how useful this is, as I don't know how pump nozzle design is informed by local regulations, and I live in Norway. If you were here I'd say your pump nozzle was defective and you had a cause for complaint against the gas station.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

Casual Encountess posted:

from a cyclist perspective it really seems like a huge portion of motorcycle accidents are from impatient hotheads who can’t wait literally 20 seconds and are awful at traffic pattern analysis.

Can confirm. Yesterday I would have hit a rider if I didn't recognise the warning signs and watch him like a hawk. I was driving down a left turn lane past stuck traffic (to turn left ahead) when he decided traffic was too slow and jumped into my lane without checking, or indicating. He did not turn left at the intersection.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

Never mind

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

mewse posted:

I love the design of that bike but hate that it's a single cylinder and hate that it's like twice the cost more expensive than a duke 690

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Vf7uyYa0LU

The only vitpilen review I've seen that isn't just quoting press material.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

For your first motorcycle lessons good ankle protection also brings good ankle support for when you inevitably put your foot down because you feel like the bike is gonna fall.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

Just keep a full extra electrical system in a sealed metal box (Faraday cage) to make any bike "emp proof".

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

ImplicitAssembler posted:

Went to a different shop today (recommended by the riding school) and got amazing help with getting a helmet that fitted.
Ended up getting a HJC Rpha70 + and Teknic jacket* for less than the retail price of the helmet.

*Googling shows that this brand seemingly died years ago...doesn't matter, it got CE level 2 armor, warm and waterproof, which is what I'll need for the next 3-4 months anyway :).

D3O is apparently good for about 5 years, so if your jacket has got that, try to find out when it was manufactured.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

What kind of riding do you plan to do? What's the climate like where you live? What's your budget?

Riding jeans with kevlar are fairly abrasion resistant where there is kevlar, so it's important to check that if you're buying riding jeans. Also check what pockets they have for armor. You want knee at a minimum, hip is good, tailbone is bonus.
Textile riding pants can come in mesh (for hot climates) and waterproof varieties, and are pretty good protection. My Klim Badlands pants are waterproof, protective, and comfortable, but also $Texas.
I have no experience with leather pants, because the weather is so unpredictable where I live (western Norway) and so I wanted waterproof gear.
All this goes for jackets too.

E: Also there's a bike gear thread in this subforum. Try posting there with your budget, climate, and use case (commuting, weekend canyon carving, touring, track days, enduro, etc)

pun pundit fucked around with this message at 08:50 on Jun 26, 2019

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

Knight2m posted:

2. Anyone have any experience with the Bell Rogue half helmet? https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/bell-rogue-helmet

Half helmets are not great protection in general. The bell rogue is in addition only DOT approved, which means nothing for several reasons.

You should buy a helmet that fits your head shape and protects you, not one that fits your image.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I'm ordering a Drift Ghost XL cam, seems much more aerodynamic and has a 9 hour battery life which is more than my max ride length I've done in a day.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

You also need a new helmet. The EPS foam compresses with impact and thus is one use.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

Your local hospital may want it for EMT training, it depends on where in the world you are.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

What's your climate like? Unless it's really warm, I'm betting anyone with those flannel "shirts" will wear a windbreaker over top, because wind chill from riding is real.

For helmets, that's probably a lot to do with head shape. If your head is too wide for the helmet you won't be able to put the helmet on. Someone with a round head shape should be able to help you there. The answer to helmet fitting is almost always "try helmets until you find one that fits".

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

Side mirrors on cars are for seeing to the side, side mirrors on bikes are also for seeing behind you because you don't have a central mirror.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

What are you talking about, I'm not wearing gloves, these are my hands
/strongbad

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

One thing to look for that's potentially a sign of a crash that's been DIY "fixed" is welding seams that are unpainted.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

ECE is happy to test helmets with an internal visor, or they would be illegal to sell in Europe. Snell is not.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

Carth Dookie posted:

Also one thing I found was that during instruction I was told to hold the throttle hand "flat" in such a way that I couldn't fully open the throttle when twisting it. This presumably was to reduce the chance of accidentally opening the throttle fully by accident (e.g. by jostling or going over a bump) but was hideously unergonomic. Don't do it, just learn to be careful.

Holding the hand flat at closed throttle also prevents the runaway scenario of being thrown back by acceleration because you forgot to use your core when taking off from a stop, then the natural arm straightening leading to more acceleration, then losing grip with your thumb leading to your fingers rolling the throttle fully open, then you're wheelieing across the intersection and into the back of a bus.

I've had the first stage happen to me, fortunately I remembered about the rear brake.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

Toe Rag posted:

Not to be too preachy, but are you saving enough money to be worth it over supporting the shop that helped you find a fitting helmet in the first place?

This. If everyone test fits at a shop and then buys online, soon there won't be any shops to buy helmets at.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

It's more taxing on the hand and wrist to hold a static position against a slight load for a long time than constantly changing it up while gripping more tightly. Doesn't mean you should be gripping too tightly, of course.

My riding school bike had a clutch so heavy my left hand would be numb after like 10 minutes of low speed exercises. (in Norway, our riding test includes a slow section that requires the bike to travel slower than it would at idle in 1st gear, to test for clutch+throttle control and low speed balance).

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

You're supposed to give it throttle while feathering the clutch, not creep on idle. Otherwise, yeah, it stalls. That's the point of the test.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

Take back roads rather than highways?

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I bought a dad bike with TPMS so I'm technically continuously checking tire pressure.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

Elector_Nerdlingen posted:

Not much fun but yeah, guess I'll book my test in

:toot:

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

It's almost like esthetics and taste are subjective.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

Are you covering the brake and shift levers while riding? Proper form is to move your feet back so you're riding on the balls of your feet, and move them forward to brake or shift.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

Mirconium posted:

US liability coverages are lower than EU (I'm guessing that's a US policy)

IANAL, but I think most US states place an upper limit on amounts that you can reclaim via torts for property damage in an accident, the theory being, if you decide to keep a 500k faberge egg in your car that's you being unreasonable even if someone hits you and breaks it so get your own drat faberge egg insurance.

European states place a high lower limit on what liability coverage insurers are allowed to offer, because they don't want insured people to go bankrupt and become a liability to the state.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

Mirconium posted:

Comedy option: Kymco Spade

Except it's actually the correct solution to your problem, but you gotta be a bad enough dude to save the president's daughter to also be ok buying a minibike as your first bike.

I don't think Ivanka would get on a minibike to save her life.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

Razzled posted:

gently caress that’s ugly just work your neck out

Yes, your sense of aesthetics is more important than someone else's comfort.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

Sagebrush posted:

From a more technical standpoint -- even in the USA laws vary state by state, but the usual definition of "running a red light" is having any part of your vehicle in the intersection while the light is red. You are supposed to stop for the yellow light if possible -- the point is to have that buffer of time before it goes red. In this case, you saw the light turn yellow but didn't stop for it, but also weren't able to make it out of the intersection before it went red. That means you were riding too fast for the conditions, IMO.

In Norway, yellow means "stop if it is safe to do so" and red means "do not enter this intersection". It's legal to enter the intersection when the light is yellow, and the definition of running a red light here is crossing the stop line while the light is red. The crossing light waits to turn green long enough for the intersection to clear under normal conditions even if someone entered the intersection a split second before the light turned red.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

How many hp is your mustang

To be fair "I drove for a living" and "I can handle power because of my 400HP mustang" are quite different statements. Having a developed sense for traffic patterns and what idiocy other drivers get up to on the road is certainly of help when learning to ride. I mean, it won't help you learn how to trail brake into a corner or anything, but it might keep you out of serious trouble that your bike handling skills can't yet get you out of.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

ImplicitAssembler posted:

I was taught to use the rear brake on this. Keep revs up for gyroscopic precession, feather with the clutch.

This might be helpful

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y7x7k6iXM3w

Dragging the rear brake while applying power to the rear wheel on slow speed drills is controversial, people have Opinions on both sides. I've heard that some countries fail you if you do, other countries fail you if you don't. Keeping revs up while feathering the clutch is a good idea regardless. Having the engine stall while you're negotiating a slow turn really sucks.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

You can spin the engine up without dragging the brake, though. You just need more clutch control.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I had a similar reaction after lowsiding my first bike, but it led to me stiffening up and being unable to lean the bike more, rather than slowing down. And only in right hand turns, which was the turn direction I lowsided in. I ran wide in a blind turn once because of this, that gave me enough of a scare that I went to an empty parking lot and trained it out of myself. I still get it at the start of every riding season.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

Or just a bit of cardboard under the center stand to insulate it, if you're setting the bike on concrete.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

SEKCobra posted:

What's the point of this? Insulate from what?

If your bike sits on a stand on concrete with any air circulation in the room the static electricity will ground through the stand, increasing corrosion. At least that's what I've heard.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

FBS posted:

Today is my MT-07's birthday! :toot: It's been one year, 5,267 miles, two near-drops on gravel, and one unbelievably close miss with that scumbag red-light-running Alfa since I rode it home from the dealership.

I'm pretty satisfied with my first year back into motorcycling. The two areas I want to work on going forward are starting to develop and improve actual cornering technique, and planning longer trips with multiple destinations and pre-chosen routes. Most of my riding this year has been wandering in a general direction then turning around and going home. Which is great! but sometimes unsatisfying.

I've had more fun on my trips where I don't have planned stops, because how long I want to ride each day varies with how I'm feeling and what the weather is like. Planned stops have made me push on when I'm not comfortable riding, which was probably risky - and it's made me stop riding earlier than I'd like, which is disappointing. Last summer I had a trip where I just searched for free rooms online whenever I started feeling done for the day, and that worked very well. It does take more money though.

Oh, and it lets you freely explore whenever you come across something that looks like it might lead to nice riding roads. I've found fantastic mountain passes this way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

It's an example of an old modular helmet failing; like all anecdotes it isn't data. Trust independent testing, not anecdotes.