Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
What a world . . .

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

xbilkis posted:

The Pelicans are 2.5 games out of the playoffs. This is going to be a mid-lottery pick, a mid-first rounder and salary filler for the best center in the league

yeow

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

WhyteRyce posted:

Danny Ainge, Lakers, Phoenix. All you fuckers could have topped this with an offer that was even less generous than what your RealGM fans cooked up. This poo poo is on YOU

I'm sorry but we have no draft picks )=

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
The Lakers equivalent of that deal is Brandon Ingram, Lou Williams, Loul Deng, and like the first pick that is legally trade-able between 2019-2021 and like some second round picks.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Unreliable source says a turned down trade was Randle + Clarkson.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

The Glumslinger posted:

I would have missed Randle, but this would have been cool too

Probably a better offer if we actually had a pick to offer this decade

Yeah, same.

Really, I could've accepted Ingram going too just to keep Magic away even if Cousins really left year after next.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Magic: Well geeze you traded two second round picks for Dwight Howard BUT WHERE'S BOOGIE? You're fired Mitch, say hello to the new GM.
Byron Scott: Hello.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

tanglewood1420 posted:

Do we think Vivek just took whatever New Orleans offered because it meant he saved money on not having to charter a plane back to Sacramento for Boogie?

"Uhh . . . all the Business Class seats are taken . . . this is going to require an upgrade to Business Class Plus to get him home"

"gently caress, trade him!"

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Eltoasto posted:

I mean you should at least get a known quality young player in the trade. Is Heild even that? It won't be a lottery pick, and now they clarified it's just the 1st and 2nd rounder this year. Pacers bloggers were talking about it today and we were pondering Myles Turner for Boogie, just stunned there wasn't a better offer.

Hield has been solid since January, at least as far as shooting threes goes.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Jesus.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Spoeank posted:

My wife got me tickets to the Kings game next Saturday for my birthday and I don't have the heart to tell her I have zero interest in driving 2 hours to see this poo poo show:(

Dude, that is going to be surreal, you have to see it.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

chunkles posted:

on the bright side, magic johnson's lakers GM career might make divac look good in retrospect

Magic, sitting in his new GM seat right before the trade deadline is going to make a wicked trade for Rajon Rondo because he knows how to win.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

xbilkis posted:

Nah, it ends with the Kings winning the lottery, conveying their pick to the 76ers, and selecting TJ Leaf with the 8th pick

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I find it incredible that they look at Buddy Hield who is shooting 39% from FG and 36.5 from 3PT and don't see immediate red flags. Dude's a poor man's JR Smith.

Buddy doesn't do much else but shoot threes, and he has been doing that well for a couple months. Altough I guess that would in fact make him the next JR, but like, JR from the past three years, JR used to do other stuff when he was younger.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Well I was going to go to bed but now I"m going to do laundry and F5 the internet for another two hours.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Maybe it's the giant amount of Mexican food in my body but this is going to make me cry.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
I really wish I could be a tech bro angel investor, I am dumb enough to be a millionaire.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

MalarkeyToboggan posted:

This is a weird thing to wake up to. How could 28 other teams not put together a better package than that.

Apparently some did but they really wanted Buddy.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

tarbrush posted:

Hypothetically speaking, if the Kings had signed Boogie to the supermax, they could still have traded him for a basically comparable package, right?

God the Kings are dumb

Well, in theory, he'd be even more valuable since his prime was locked down.

However, Cousins would get an automatic no-trade clause for one year after signing the deal. He also would be eligible for the full no-trade clause after that (since he would have been with the Kings at least 8+ seasons), but he'd have to negotiate that.

So if they thought that they weren't going to get that extension signed without having to give up the no-trade clause, then this week was the last time they had decent leverage to trade him. They probably would've had significantly less leverage going into this offseason simply because historically teams have not done great the summer before a guy hits UFA (even though everyone but Dwight Howard has re-signed to the team they were traded to).

Although, with all that said, they got a deal worse than teams get in situations where they theoretically have bad leverage (the Dwight Howard trade is probably worse if the Lakers end up being able to skip out on sending Orlando the 2019 pick, but other than that).

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

tarbrush posted:

He'd have to sign a new contract to get a ntc, right? Dunno how much they changed in the new CBA.

As much as this is great for the Pels, the rest of their roster is still a horror story of long bad contracts (with honorable exemptions for Jrue and Omri). Plus they have no picks left. How do they get better?

I believe so. I suspect (because the CBA FAQ does not clarify) you have to qualify for it before you can negotiate it. It doesn't seem like guys have managed to tack it onto the end of their second NBA contract even if it runs into their eighth year in the league. So I don't think he would've had one next season without negotiating it through a regular extension or getting a year automatically with the super max.

Rick fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Feb 20, 2017

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
As for how the Pelicans get better, well, they have 20 million in cap space next year if the cap increase hits even some pessimistic projections. They have struggled to attract free agents but this certainly sweetens things a bit.

Of course, this free agency class is heavily slanted towards vets who will be trying to get one last payday from the team they're on now. Gordon Hayword might be in play although I haven't thought if the new CBA makes that unlikely. So then it's Millsap and…?????

Well, maybe they can put a call in to Chris Paul if the Clippers flame out again. That would be a nice story.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Jota posted:

The cap is currently estimated to be around $103 million so with Boogie's contract and Jrue's cap hold it could end up being more like $10-12 million in cap space.

Correct, it turns out the pessimistic projections have gotten quite a bit more pessimistic since last time I looked.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
On the Ringer NBA podcast from what sounds like a payphone booth in the 1920s Bill Simmons goes over how New Orleans and LA might in fact have been the only trading partners and if Ingram isn't on the table then, NO is the only partner. It is a bunch of hilarious/ludicrous "ah we never wanted to trade for him anyway" stuff mixed in too but his analysis of the trade partners is mostly decent.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Another wrinkle in the potential Lakers deal is that Cousin's agent is Dan Fegan who the Lakers really don't want to deal with again unless they absolutely have to.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Two Tone Shoes posted:

What ransom? It's not like the team's not gonna pay them.

Man good luck. If just paying his clients was enough to satisfy Fegan the Lakers would look a lot different right now (although, possibly not better).

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
I listened to three Cousins Trade podcasts today because I'm highly entertained by this all.

I already posted about the Simmons one.

The Lowe podcast and the Woj podcast both largely said the same thing, with different sources. Maybe, in fact, nearly every team in the league thinks Cousins is impossible to deal with after all.

The Lowe podcast is a lot of Windhorst trying to take credit for predicting this per usual, and then Lowe gets really angry at the Kings and then they start talking about their fantasy GMing of the NBA and it gets laughable like it does every time Windhorst and Lowe talk.

Woj's podcast is one of his hit pieces in verbal form on the Kings, and basically his guest saying the same thing Windhorst said, that most GMs around the league would make take a risk on him on the cheap but weren't going to put assets at risk and that the Kings in fact might have in fact got the best possible deal. It then hilariously swerves near the end, without it having anything to do with anything they were talking about Woj chimes in to basically say "YEAH, BUT YOU KNOW, THE AGENTS, GOD BLESS 'EM, THEY ARE JUST DOING THEIR JOBS, AND THEY'RE DOIN' THEM WELL." God, this guy.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
One of the things Buddy Believers stressed most before last year's draft was he had to end up with a team with the capacity to help develop a complete game. This is a nightmare. Poor Buddy.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

WhyteRyce posted:

I don't know how much stock I put in the Woj stuff since he and other have both stated that the Kings stopped taking calls/returning calls to other teams and that Buddy loving Hield was the catalyst. While it may be true that other teams were trying to contact the Kings but also weren't interested in giving up much, I'm more likely to believe that it's just post-"why the gently caress didn't you do something?!?!" stuff to placate fans.

I don't put very much stock in either Windhorst or Woj say. I mean for all we know this is just trying to put a spin for failing to stop their client from ending up in the smallest market in the league while losing like 30 million dollars. "Well geeze Boogie we tried but . . . all the GMs in the league are stupid!!!"

CharlestheHammer posted:

This is so weird as we have literally no evidence this is actually a thing.

So unless Cousins propaganda game is on point then most GMs are hilariously dumb.

If anything Cousins, who seems to be a great guy off the court (I still have a problem with some of his behavior on the court), lack of PR is why the "wow this guy sucks" narrative seems to have taken hold.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
There are worse things than King's basketball, like Pacer's basketball and college basketball.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

pubic works project posted:

Rick why do you hate me??? :(

I don't!! I feel burnt by the Pacers though because I predicted them to be good. They are more watchable than last year.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
I don't even enjoy the team I cheer for if I'm honest (Arizona). I do like watching Kansas though much to my surprise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

BIZORT posted:

Most of this forum didn't think Curry would be poo poo either. The majority thought he was going to bust

Are you sure? People praised the Warriors when they backed out of an agreed trade for Amare with the Suns for the pick and Amare was still good back then.

• Locked thread