Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

[I want to] shit in your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your real mother across the face [laughter]. Fuck you, you're still a rookie. I'll kill you.

tarbrush posted:

Would he still fit? I'm not sure what his best role is in a 4-3

I think he would get used correctly for the first time in his career with the Dolphins defense. He's an upfield 1-gap DT.

Every defensive coordinator he's played for has had him doing some combination of 2-gapping, or rushing frequently wide of the offensive tackle and he really ain't anything to write home about on either front.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

[I want to] shit in your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your real mother across the face [laughter]. Fuck you, you're still a rookie. I'll kill you.

Ehud posted:

I do not want Hightower. We need too many things to spend that much on one guy.

Same reason it's okay to let Stills walk.

Hightower is a pretty unique player and I think there's a whole hell of a lot he can do for the Dolphins defense that would make it worthwhile. He makes up for a lot of the issues you have in the wide alignment in the run game, and then can capitalize on it as a blitzer in a way that could be really ridiculous.

The combination of the wide alignment and having someone who draws blockers like Suh would basically serve the Center up on a plate. Hightower can physically just run them over, but you'd basically be creating a situation where you're forcing the Center to play in "space".

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

Waroduce posted:

I wouldn't mind the fins looking at him to pair with Reshad Jones cause we are starting Bacari Rambo at FS who has a cool name but is bad at football

Or Revis

AFC Incest to the max

You're forgetting IAQ, who was pretty good last year.

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

The issue with Tom Brady's contract isn't so much that he decided to take a less than market value for the good of the team- it's that Robert Kraft has basically been allowed to give Brady a bunch of benefits that don't fall under the salary cap and the NFL/NFLPA has no interest in opening that can of worms:

http://www.theleadsports.com/stories/would-tom-brady-have-5-rings-if-he-and-the-patriots-werent-allowed-to-circumvent-the-salary-cap/

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

sean10mm posted:

So other teams could do it too, but are too stupid or whatever. Boo hoo.

Yeah I can see that working perfectly. The Redskins gonna call up Kirk Cousins agent and offer him $15m per year and hint that he should consider selling oxygenated water to morons outside the stadium wink nudge

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

tarbrush posted:

Agreed. Kinda expect the Dolphins to try the comp picks route again this year. If Stills gets >$10m and Branch gets $8m, that could be a 3rd and a 4th if they can manage to avoid ufas to full the rest of the roster.

I'm just curious who they might be targeting, given the numerous holes and lots of cap room even after extensions for Landry and Alonso (and hopefully Sims)

It was a dumb rear end idea last year. The Dolphins don't have the depth to approach free agency that way- they've pretty much got to find key low to mid-end free agents and they can't narrow it down to guys who don't meet the formula.

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

Players who have been cut can sign whenever, the other guys aren't technically free agents yet they're still under their expiring contracts.

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

Ehud posted:

https://twitter.com/rapsheet/status/839574046052335616

way too much

Hopefully the guaranteed isn't high

It's a dumb position to be in, but it's probably the right move for the Dolphins to overpay Branch on a deal for a year or two to buy time.

They need to be four deep at DE and they've got Cameron Wake and nothing else- no depth, no developmental players. FA is pretty well barren, and there really isn't anyone else available who fits this defense- they're either undersized edge rushers(which isn't really the wide-9 thing contrary to popular belief) or they're guys who fill the Jason Jones of a guy who is going to move inside in passing situations(which the draft is also full up on)

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

Ehud posted:

Allbright is tweeting about the Dolphins possibly signing Cutler :haw:

I'm so down.

In a league where Brock Osweiler and Mike Glennon are getting big multi-year deals, you should absolutely be dangling Matt Moore in trade. He counts $2.1m against the cap this year and outplayed most of the guys available.

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

He's also one of the best run defending DEs in the league and has experience in the scheme.

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

tarbrush posted:

What've you got against peppers? Versatile super athlete seems to be the in thing at the moment

Jabrill Peppers is an awkward pairing with Reshad Jones. I don't trust Peppers to play that much single-high, so you're ultimately in a position where you're asking your $12m a year ultra-safety to cover for him... all so he can fill a role that your $12m a year safety is one of the best in the league at.

Dolphins I think are better off looking for a single-high safety. It sucks that the Patriots re-signed Duron Harmon because that would have worked out well.

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

I think they can make a pretty compelling argument that Miami is the best place for him to earn a big multi-year deal elsewhere between scheme and surrounding talent.

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

I think Jenkins might be breaking down physically. He looked really promising his second year in the league and hasn't been the same since- to the point where he's worse than he was as a rookie.

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

Zach Brown was supposed to be a big money FA this year, but I think he might have overplayed his hand.

He's basically only had one outstanding year, but the Dolphins new LB coach has experience with him and I think you've got money to piss away and a defense where you can effectively give three guys good workloads.

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

Ehud posted:

I don't understand why he's still available if he's good tho

He's a one year wonder in an off-season where it looks like NFL owners sort-kinda colluded in order to force "riskier" free agents to take one year deals. I think a couple guys misplayed their hand like Brown and Johnathan Hankins.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

Barry Jackson suggested it doesn't rule out Zach Brown, so I'm assuming he's slotted to be your backup.

I like him a lot as a back-up here, he can back up most of the front 7 competently.

• Locked thread