Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Kalli posted:

There's a ton of teams with a ton of cap space and not that many good free agents to go around.

Gonna be a whole lot of overpaying going on.

who wants one (1) alshon jeffrey for 20m??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
cutler rules

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Athanatos posted:

Are the Bears just all in on Matt Barkley?

They will overpay for Jimmy G wont they...

they don't have a clue or a plan and have an incompetent front office, so they're probably all in on Jimmy G

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Kalli posted:

An above average starting QB is worth the world. An average or below one is worth next to nothing.

To win a Superbowl you just need so many things to go right, and the worse your QB, the more and faster those things that need to go right stack up. That's what makes a QB like Jay Cutler so relatively worthless now. He used to be an average QB who could iron out the flaws in his game and step up, but now he's in his mid 30's and never did, so he's now just a stopgap or hail mary.

--------------------

I don't see a team trading a first for Jimmy because we know what his college career was worth: A late 2nd round pick. Now you trade 3 years of dirt cheap contract for 3 years of age, some mediocre preseason and cleanup snaps starts and 1.5 healthy games this year where he looked like a capable NFL quarterback. Is that worth upgrading a late 2nd to a first? I find that a hard argument to buy.

yet if cutler had been on the texans this year maybe they win the superbowl, ala flacco w/ the ravens or eli and giants. i used to think a great QB was needed but you just need 3 good games in a row (which, to be fair, is something cutler seems incapable of doing despite him being statistically better than flacco and eli overall)

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

weird Asian candy posted:

I dunno about way better. Hasn't he been to the playoffs like once in his career? Clearly Jay needs to go to Cleveland.

the bears have also been in the same division as one or two hall of fame qbs for the last two decades. In that time they've gone to the playoffs a whopping four times, going 0-1 twice. Grossman + stacked defense + greatest return man of all time got them two wins, Cutler got them another with a lot less

the loving Lions have more playoff appearances in the last two decades. god the bears suck

mastershakeman fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Feb 23, 2017

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Flimflam Man posted:

To be fair, those are literally all just appearances. Not a single win.

yeah i know, but it shows that they're consistently better in the regular season than the garbage trash bears team who's advertised plan is to get rid of their starters at the two most important positions (qb, wr) and nothing to replace them

here's a list of the most important positions in order on offense and where the bears best players are:
QB - nobody
WR1 - nobody
LT - nobody
RT - nobody
TE - nobody
WR2 - nobody
C - great rookie!
RB - great 5th round pick!
WR3 - nobody
LG - great veteran!
RG - great first round pick!

quite the plan and direction to go

edit: reason for ranking RB so low; leading rusher of last 11 sb winners: blount-31; anderson-90; blount-40; harvin-45; rice-59; bradshaw-72; starks-52; thomas-30; parker-53, bradshaw-45, rhodes-113 (the most recent guy to break 100)

mastershakeman fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Feb 23, 2017

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

who on earth is going to want to pay for him

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

FizFashizzle posted:

Who is going to be on the bears?

some interior linemen and a 5th round running back.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Diva Cupcake posted:

He's probably the best WR to hit the market in years. He's getting an assload of money from someone.

no way i don't believe it

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
I just looked and Alshon Jeffrey was 510 yards short of the all time bears receiving record, in 63 games played

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

holy moly

who even needs a RB? green bay, giants, uhh...

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

R.D. Mangles posted:

don't bust on Lovie, the man who is about to hitch the Fighting Illini to the comet of one Jeff George Jr.

sounds like someone's upset about losing the hat in perpetuity

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
who is the last receiver as good as jeffrey to hit the open market under age 30?

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

wandler20 posted:

#itsabucslife

https://twitter.com/gregauman/status/839509096772616192

Ian Rapaport suggests Glennon to the Bears is a done deal. Why other teams have moved on from him.

its cutler all over AGAIN GOD loving DAMNIT

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Tavarin posted:

They are even starting from the beginning of the Cutler era by having Glennon's best weapons be Cameron Meredith and Zach Miller.

and soon to be drafted (and perpetually injured) mike williams this IS poo poo ITS ALL poo poo

seriously cutler is a case study in 'what could have been' if he hadnt had a billion coaches and now you're intentionally taking a guy who's already played in five systems gently caress gently caress gently caress

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
is demps any good

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

holy poo poo i think i called this way way back actually
edit:

quote:

One thing I was just discussing w/ coworkers - what if the Texans shipped Osweiler + picks to the Bears for Cutler? The bears have plenty of cap space, especially if they let Jeffrey go. Make Houston better, let Chicago rebuild, etc

i wanted this :<

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
hundreds of free agents about to sign with cleveland in 20 minutes are all getting second thoughts

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
i hope the browns straight up cut Brock and are just like 'we traded 20m in cap space for a 2 nd round pick'

also cutler is gonna win a SB in houston

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

xbilkis posted:

The Bears are going to get the first pick next year

they've never had the #1 overall and never will

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
why the gently caress did the bears bother signing prince amukamura

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

fsif posted:

https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/840297535184990210

Congratulations to Mike Glennon for setting the new world record for quickest vote of confidence.

lol this is so pathetic

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
so Dion sims got a nearly identical contract to martellus Bennett? what the gently caress?

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

hey, Markus Wheaton is the bears #1 wr. same with sims at te. getting a #1 at those two positions for 6m/yr each is a steal and a sign of great contract negotiations!!!!!!

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Dexo posted:

I hate everything. literally everything. Nothing but hate in my heart for any sports team I follow besides the Cubs.

learn to love the blackhawks

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Dexo posted:

Unwilling to support any team that doesn't appreciate a good looking black woman....

Seriously though, Hockey is always just more of a playoff sport for me. Regular season games just don't do anything for me.

yeah that's fair. i think the advent of easy to watch recaps/highlights, plus lack of parity in most leagues, has made regular season game watching outside of football (with a tiny amount of games) a waste of time. same goes for football unless your team is real fun to watch or challenging for a playoff spot that you haven't made in a long time

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Houston Texans currently convincing themselves that maybe cutler just hasn't had the chance he needs to be great

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

a neat cape posted:

Isn't Mack a linebacker

he was all pro at both positions. he's that good

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
so who's gonna take cutler. prodigal son returns to Denver?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Volkerball posted:

Idk, but he did end up leaving for a concussion. Then Collins came in and got hurt, and hanie finished the game.

ah yes, a happier time back when the bears were respectable.

• Locked thread